V-Twin Forum banner

Oversized helmet

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  grumman581 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good (preferably lightweight) oversized helmet? Unfortunately I have a large head. :redrolf:

I am getting back into riding and need a helmet. When I rode years ago, the largest helmet I could find was 3XL and it did not fit properly. It was a full face and would press on my forehead so hard that it would bruise my face. I would like to find a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet if I can that is around 4XL or larger.

Any recommendations?
Thanks

#3 ·
If you have more of an oval shaped head instead of round, the Arai Profile is made for you. It is a full face and I only wear mine in the cold or rain, but it is without a doubt the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned. I used to wear as big as an XXL to get something close to fitting, but with the Profile I wear an XL.

#8 ·
I have an AFX FX-10 full face/coverage helmet that is supposedly an 8-5/8 size. I bought it from DennisKirk.com and it is listed as a 4XL. For those of us with large heads, there's not many choices out there for helmets. Very seldom can I find one in a retail store that will fit me. My previous helmet was a Shoei RF-700 in XXL and it fit the exact same as the AFX in 4XL. Unfortunately, there really is no consistency in the sizing with regards to helmets. I have found though that with the lid-type helmets, I can wear a helmet that is slightly smaller and it not be as painful or as difficult to find. Of course, they don't offer the protection of a full face helmet either. For the most part, those of us with large heads don't get to choose the helmet color, we should just feel lucky that we can find one that will actually fit us...

#10 ·
This is a good overview. My HJL 3XL full face fits my melon head pretty good but looks like you can go bigger. But may I say sir, I am impressed...
How so?

Of course, it's not like I can cut my hair shorter and end up with a smaller helmet size... I could have probably done that in the '70s, but not anymore... You have to have some hair before you can cut it, right? :)

And it's not even like your body weight is going to affect your helmet size... There just is not any real difference in the amount of meat / fat in your head where a helmet has to fit that would be affected whether you were anorexic or believed that every bar around had a mug with your name on it...

#12 ·
I know this is an old subject...However, Finding proper head gear for the Cranially Endowed can be difficult. I found an older model HJC open face at a yamaha/polaris dealer in Houston. I think I've visited every store in town to find the right one. Riding around is half the fun.

Arai makes BIG helmets...who can afford them after buying a Harley?

Vega Helmet also makes some open face up to 5X. they have a funky shield on them that flips down, but it's removeable.

www.vegahelmet.com

#13 ·
Of course, one of the problem is that helmet sizes are not consistent across manufacturers... I've had helmets where a XXL would fit me and others where even a 4XL would not... You can look at the manufacturer's size table and get a rough idea if the also list hat size or head circumference, but if you have a head that is more oblong or rounder than what the manufacturer thinks heads should be shaped like, you're probably going to be in for a surprise... I hate shopping for a new helmet... I drive around to all the local bike shops and if I'm lucky, they *might* have a single helmet that comes close to fitting me... And ordering through the internet is kind of a hit or miss type of thing... One helmet that I bought a few years ago, I had to take a small handheld sledge hammer to the inside of it in order to compress the Styrofoam just a bit to make it so that the helmet was not so painful to wear... That kind of defeats the purpose of the foam though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.