V-Twin Forum banner

Rain Suit Blues

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  HeavyMtlThunder 
#1 ·
I finally decided on Frogg Toggs "Elite" rain suit. Need a large, in black. Checked the internet looking for a site that carries them, have come to the conclusion that this particular suit does not exist, everyone in "out of stock". Got on a wait list about 2 months age, got this email today
"I am so very sorry but this suit still has not arrived. We are unsure at this time of the date that these will be available. The manufacturer will not give us a specific date. It could be within the next
couple of weeks or it could be July. I am so very sorry for this inconvenience.
You are more than welcome to wait as long as you wish or request a refund at
anytime. We will ship as soon as they arrive. We really appreciate your business
and your patience in this matter."
I give up, can't wait for July. A funny way to run a business ! Anyone know of a distributor who has this in stock ?
Any suggestions on a good rain suit in the $100/$150 area ?

TIA...

#3 ·
"All Black Elite Hwy suits are currently on backorderwith Exception to (BLACK XL). Blue Elite HWY is available in all sizes except L and 3XL. However, go ahead and make your purchase to get on the large back order list as orders will be filled in the order that they were purchased and our shipments may arrive in limited qtys. Thanks and sorry for any inconveniences."

#5 · (Edited)
I missed that out of stock on the top of their page. I'm not comfortable being charged until the item is shipped or being processed for shipment. Just my opinion.

I use HD's rainwear and I buy at my local dealer (Gore-Tex Bottoms and I stay dry). - I want them to stay in business. They've been there for me and I do my best to support them. I find other ways to save money.

#7 ·
My wife and I have the H-D high-viz suits in orange. They are really nice - very breathable and well-made. I have worn mine in some torrential downpours and with boot gaiters I was bone-dry. They look a little ridiculous but the orange and all the reflector material is nice in limited visibility conditions.

#8 ·
Back in the day when a bike was my only means of transportation and when I was being transferred between military bases, I had a Dry Rider one piece suit. Or it might have been "Dry Ryder"... Not sure... Too many years ago... I rode in poring rain, freezing rain, and anything that didn't involve ice on the roads (I only make that mistake once). I did a bit of research when I was looking for a rainsuit after I bought my FLHP-I and that company seems to no longer be around, but the highest rated rainsuit seemed to be the one made by Triumph, so I bought it. I keep it in one of my saddlebags, but I have yet to get caught in rain that was hard enough and I was far enough from my destination at the time that I figured it was worth stopping to put it on... Kind of funny how that works out...

#11 ·
If you are going to ride in the rain in both hot and cold temperatures GORE-TEX is the answer.

Breathes, packs light and small, and is waterproof! In the colder temps I just add in mt Gerbing jacket and gloves. No more big jacket and chaps and rain gear. The gore tex jacket and pants take up less space than my chaps did.

#12 ·
I've had summer rides where I was wet all the way down to my underwear. Sometimes those summer thundershowers pop up and the only choice is pull over and wait it out or drive through and hope that it won't be that long and you can dry out on the other side... In the summer if it is really hot, I'm likely to just get wet since I know that once I'm through, it'll probably only take an hour before I'm bone dry again... In the winter, I'll put my rainsuit as soon as I start seeing the drops falling. Cold and wet is no fun...

#15 ·
I looked at them at the local Gander Mountain store back before I settled on the Triumph one-piece suit. I just wasn't so sure that they would work that well for me... If I'm going to go with a 2-piece suit, I want the bottom to be one of the bib-types so that there is a large area that the two halves overlap. I also use a one-piece as a windbreaker when it turns cool and I didn't bring anything else with me. A non-breathable one-piece really makes a difference. If it is really cold, it cuts the wind penetration to basically zero, so your normal insulated clothing works even better. If it is just nippy and you didn't bring anything else with you, it will change a chilly ride into a comfortable one. If it is hot and rainy, well, I guess you're screwed... Hot and rainy, I can deal with... At worst, I'll be slightly uncomfortable, but it will pass once I get out of the thunderstorm. Cold and wet, you get to be introduced to Mr. Hypothermia...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.