V-Twin Forum banner

Heated gloves or heated grips??

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Flyin Brian 
#1 ·
My wife got me a pair of HD heated gloves last fall - the type that plugs into the bikes battery. Riding seasons been shut down for the winter so I haven't tried them yet. I don't have any other heated gear to plug in to, so I figure I'll need to run wires up through handlebars. I'm not sure if wires will be flapping in the breeze or I can't take my hands off the bars while tethered by wire. So I'm wondering if I should exchange the gloves for some heated grips. Not sure if grips would be as warm but I wouldn't have to deal with loose wires. What do you guys suggest?

#3 ·
Gloves, what part of your hand is subject to the wind and cold, the palm or the back of your hand?

While you are at it get the heated jacket which will give you a place to plug the gloves into. Even if you don't do that you run the wires up your sleeves and across your back. You will be able to take your hands off the handlebars.

#4 ·
I have the gloves and love them. Just like above run the wire thru jacket and install cord just like instructions say. You probably are going to want to put a temp controller and if you do the handle bars the wires will flap and you can't add other heated accessories.

#5 ·
People say grips only heat the palm, but snowmobiles use them at temps a hell of alot colder.

#6 ·
Grips will help, but if it gets really cold when you ride, you'll be thankful for the gloves. I clip my controller to my tank pouch so it's easy to access.

#7 ·
Neither, Bikers don't wear heated anythings.
They can turn up the heat on stuff but, no not heated grips n gloves.
If the weather is soo bad that you need electrical augmentation just be comfortable, its not safe to ride.
A good set of cold weather gloves can handle temps down into the 30s.:coffee:
Black ice kills bikers stupid enough to go out riding in it.

#9 ·
When I bought the 09 Ultra Classic last fall I got the heated grips. I have ridden in the mid 30's and no problem with hands getting cold. In fact, with the heated grips I wear much thinner gloves, leather with layer of thinsulate. I find I have better feel of the grips, brakes lever and clutch lever with the thinner gloves. Also easier to hit the small buttons on the radio with the thinner gloves.

The grips have a range of 0 through 6 (the hottest) and have never cranked the grips above 3.5. I have only had the grips for one season so I can't comment on durability.

My 2 cents worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.