V-Twin Forum banner

HD Boot Gators

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  cek 
#1 ·
Anybody had good luck with these? I'm confused as the premise seems good but when I went to look at them the whole entire heel area is completely open. How in the world can this keep your boots dry? I had thought it was a complete enclosure kinda like an rubber overboot. I mean if they work then great I’d like to hear it but I really don’t see how. :coffee:

#4 ·
I have the Tour Master brand. Awesome!!!!! $30

#5 ·
They do their job. I'm 6'3" so it's pretty hard to find rain pants that will keep the lower part of my pant leg dry when sitting on the bike. The gaiters take care of the problem quite nicely, although they do cause me to get ribbed by my riding friends since they look a bit silly.

The exposed heel is a non-issue.

As with all rain gear, the trick is to get it on just before you need it, not just after you need it.

#7 ·
Got a pair for the wife and she loves 'em... Dry all day.
The trick on the HD ones is to get the right size so that when you close them up, they are snug against the boots. If they are too big, they'll blouse up in the breeze and be useless.

#10 ·
I like the TOUR MASTER DELUXE RAIN BOOT COVERS because they are cheap at $24 and, most imporatnatly, they are lightweight and so thin that they pack well and take up less space than the HD brand.

They can be seen at this link:

http://www.cycleoutfitters.com/productdetail.htm?productId=8632214&ez=rain boots

The HD brand has thick rubber half soles that are heavy and take up a lot of space (I camp a lot). The Tour Master brand does not have a half sole; rather ithe sole is just the same waterproof nylon material as the uppers. The Tour Masters will wear out quickly if you walk on pavement a lot. Consequently, I do not walk on pavement except to refuel. The HD half soles are definately sturdier. However, I prefer the lighter ones.

Agreed, the half sole is not a problem. I have ridden hundreds of miles in pouring rain and my feet are always dry.

#11 ·
At that price, you can buy a pair to walk around in and a pair to ride in, and still be even money with the MoCo <grin>

Thanks for the tip on the low price. That's a bookmark page for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.