V-Twin Forum banner

Looking For Carbon Fiber Half Helmets

16K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  joeychitwood 
#1 ·
Have any of you purchased a high quality carbon fiber half helmet lately? I like CF because of its light weight and appearance. I've got a nice full-face helmet for riding the Ducati, but I prefer to wear a half helmet on the Ultra except in the extreme cold. I'm looking for a DOT approved CF helmet to replace my old H-D helmet and would appreciate any recommendations and/or links.

#12 ·
advanced carbon composites in florida , they have both DOT and non-DOT excellent products
carbonfiberhelmets.com also known as Headtrip helmets in the small adds in the back of the mags. I bought two, both great and had one color matched to my bike. Very responsive company to customers service too so well worth the investment INHO.
RJ
Get yourself an Advanced Carbin Composite, AKA HeadTripHelmets. I tried a bunch of other DOT half and none,NONE compare to the ACC in comfort and size(almost as small as non DOT brain buckets). It is so much more enjoyable to be able to ride without the wind pulling on your helmet and looking like a mushroom head. I can honestly say that it feels like your not wearing a helmet. They are not cheap but are well worth it.They are actually made from real carbon fiber and kevlar. Not like the others that are just lined on the outside. Pay the extra money and the comfort alone will pay for itself. I rarely will go out of my way to praise a product this much.

@gree:
...just sayin'....

#4 ·
carbonfiberhelmets.com also known as Headtrip helmets in the small adds in the back of the mags. I bought two, both great and had one color matched to my bike. Very responsive company to customers service too so well worth the investment INHO.
RJ

#5 ·
Hi, HCI has a pretty nice CF half helmet DOT approved.I stopped by my local HD shop to trial fit sizes on their halfs. Amazing how a haircut will chage the fit.Ordered it from JP or Dennis Kirk couple years ago. Does not look like a big mushroom growing on top of your head.

#6 ·
I spent the few extra bucks on CF last summer, and now swear by them on my Heritage. I got mine from J&P on sale last year but I did notice the Harley shop had a couple in stock as well. I can actually hear whats coming behind me where my other helmet I could not hear as well. Good choice IMHO

#7 · (Edited)
Get yourself an Advanced Carbin Composite, AKA HeadTripHelmets. I tried a bunch of other DOT half and none,NONE compare to the ACC in comfort and size(almost as small as non DOT brain buckets). It is so much more enjoyable to be able to ride without the wind pulling on your helmet and looking like a mushroom head. I can honestly say that it feels like your not wearing a helmet. They are not cheap but are well worth it.They are actually made from real carbon fiber and kevlar. Not like the others that are just lined on the outside. Pay the extra money and the comfort alone will pay for itself. I rarely will go out of my way to praise a product this much.

#11 ·
I just got a carbon fiber helmet and I am sure it is good, but will no longer be riding in a half helmet after witnessing the results of my buddy Rob's motorcycle accident. If he had not been wearing his full face lid when that girl cut him off he'd probably be dead right now, or at the very least have serious head trauma with lasting affects. I am switching to full face, I don't care if it ain't cool.

#14 ·
I called today about ordering a CF Headtrip Helmet and was told that they cannot get a supply of the material used in the DOT liner. She suggested calling back in a month or so to see if they have been able to resume production. I'd imagine they are losing some serious money this time of year.

#15 ·
+1 on the headtrip. when people say its the closest thing to not wearing a helmet, they are telling the truth. i had a cheap helmet before, the headtrip is superior in every way. worth the money. i live in Ky where i can choose to not wear one, but i've worn the headtrip every time i've rode since i got it.

#17 ·
#20 ·
If anyone is looking for a Headtrip polo style I've got one that my wife bought and won't wear. Sell it cheap.

Joe

#22 ·
What color & what size?? With D rings? or quick disconnect??

#29 ·
I found this on the head trip (carbonfiberhelmets.com) website. Maybe this is why they are having production issues.

ADVANCED CARBON COMPOSITES EXT MOTORCYCLE HELMETS

This notice is provided to all purchasers or owners of Advanced Carbon Composites EXT-001, EXT-002 and EXT-003 models of motorcycle helmets, regardless of size and regardless of date acquired, in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

REASON FOR THE RECALL

In a March 26, 2010 Settlement Agreement and Consent Order between Advanced Carbon Composites and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Advanced Carbon Composites agreed that all models and sizes of its EXT-001, EXT-002 and EXT-003 Half Shell Motorcycle Helmets, regardless of date manufactured, fail to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 218, 49 C.F.R. § 571.218. FMVSS No. 218 establishes minimum performance requirements for helmets designed for highway use. Among other things, the standard requires that motorcycle helmets meet the minimum performance requirements of penetration tests and impact attenuation tests, as well as labeling requirements. Advanced Carbon Composites’ helmets do not comply with FMVSS No. 218 in the areas of impact attenuation, penetration and/or labeling. In the event of a crash, the wearer is not adequately protected, and could suffer severe injuries or even death.

As a part of its Settlement Agreement and Consent Order with NHTSA, Advanced Carbon Composites has agreed to implement a remedy program by which Advanced Carbon Composites is providing notice to, and obtaining helmets from, owners and purchasers, and Advanced Carbon Composites will refund an owner or purchaser for the purchase price of the helmet. The remedy is limited to refunds to owners or purchasers, and under no circumstances will Advanced Carbon Composites attempt to repair or replace the recalled helmets.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

After you contact us and we record your information, Advanced Carbon Composite will send you a prepaid shipping label for your helmet. Upon its receipt of the helmet and documentation regarding the price you paid for the helmet, Advanced Carbon Composite will send you a check in the full amount of the purchase price, which you should receive within 7-10 business days. This includes all EXT-001 or EXT 002 helmets that were previously repaired by Advanced Carbon Composites in previous recalls.

Please call Advanced Carbon Composites at 1-800-300-9813, or contact us by mail at Advanced Carbon Composites, 6127 Anno Avenue, Orlando, Florida 32809, to begin the refund process.

If you believe we have failed to issue a refund to you within a reasonable amount of time, you may submit a complaint to:

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue
Washington, D.C. 20590
Toll Free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236
TTY 1-800--9153 or go to www.safercar.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.