V-Twin Forum banner

Any experience with Comfortable side zipper boots?

5K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  99Percenter 
#1 ·
I was looking at Redwing 967's but they have been discontinued. Anyone have experience with a decent quality and comfortable side zipper boot for under $150-$200?

#2 ·
look at the military uniform sites, I think that my boots are either Hi-Tech or Belleview’s, I also think Bates makes a pair, they are all good. I however still prefer the front lace type boot.

#5 ·
My favorite side zipper is the BMW Touring boot with goretex. Absolutely no need for break in. But.......about 300. BTSOOM

#23 ·
#11 ·
After considering both the Milwaukee Trooper boots and the Bates boots, I ordered up a set of the Milwaukee. They look more like a MC boot to me and from the best I could see of the Bates ones online, they look like more of a sneaker than a boot as far as how the soles attach which makes me question the durability. I dunno...I admit it was a really hard choice. We'll see what I think of the Milwaukee when they get here. I may find an excuse to get the waterproof Bates waterproof GX8 with gore-tex as a good waterproof boot for winter. I like the GX8 cause they are waterproof and have a side zipper.

#12 ·
I finally wore out my old redwings and bought some riding boots by ariat,im very pleased, way more comfortable. I often wear em all day working.

#14 · (Edited)
Tourmaster makes a very good riding boot that is not too expensive and is also totally waterproof. They are also a comfortable walking boot. Probably don't last as long as heavy duty boots and can't be resoled but for the price they are great. I can usually get 3 years out of a pair before the soles start to wear down.

Look HERE

#16 ·
Have a pair of Willie G Gortex with a side zipper and pull loop on the back. Got them a couple of years ago. Great boots to bad they discontinued them but there are still some around. I picked up two pair a couple of months ago for 200$, less than I paid for the original ones.

#18 ·
Stay away from HD Brand. I have been given two pair in the past five years. They are not high quality. The current pair are the kind with the side zipper and I mirror the comments in the earlier post. Wet, cold & the zippers both fall down while I walk or ride.
HD No Mas.

#20 ·
Here's my first report. I give the Bates an A+ for comfort. I've worn them to work a couple times. They are nowhere near as heavy duty as the Milwaukee and are quite comfortable. They broke in really fast (like 1 day). I haven't worn the Milwaukee ones for a full day yet, but they do seem comfortable. They are also on the heavy side, though still only about as heavy as a typical pair of work boots. Overall, I'm happy with both pairs. They both seem well made.

#21 ·
Welp I ordered a pair of tour masters "solutions" road boots. got em, can't get my foot into them my arch is too high. put on a pair of thin silk girley socks and got my clodhoppers into the boots and they are too large. I guess they run large so you can wear thicker socks. they don't seem to come in half sizes and I am not sure my local shoe guy can stretch the arch enough if I go a full size smaller.
The boots seem to be a pretty good quality and the price at motorcycle superstore was good. I think they would be a good boot for someone with a "normal" foot.:coffee:

#24 ·
Yeah I guess I needed an abnormal foundation to support the rest of the abnormalities....:confused:
I bought a size 10 and like I said they are at least 1 size large for everyday socks and I'm afraid a 9 might be too small with thicker socks even if my shoe dude stretched the arch enough to get my dainty lil' footsies into em!
Motorcycle superstore seemed to have a pretty liberal return policy so I will contact them today and see which way to jump from there.:coffee:

#27 ·
I've been wearing a pair of these Bates for the last two years. Just replaced them this winter. I have never had a lighter, more comfortable pair of boots in my life. They held up to the elements far longer than I expected; only gripe is that they are not waterproof. A good pair of gaters will keep your feet dry though.

#28 ·
I've been wearing the Bates GX8 boots quite a bit this winter and they are just as comfortable as my sneakers. I love them. Whenever it gets sloppy outside, I'm wearing them. They breathe well too. Usually my feet sweat a lot in boots but not so much in these.

I also got the Milwaukee trooper boots but haven't worn those at all besides checking the fit. Don't want to trash them with the snow and salt before riding season.

To Soggybiker, the Bates GX8 are waterproof goretex. They are great. Found them for $121 online including shipping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.