V-Twin Forum banner

Riding Sunglasses

13K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  BikerOptix 
#1 ·
What are the best sunglasses for riding? What qualities should I look for in a pair of glasses?

#2 ·
Lessee... oh yeah... there's some in SoCal. Not too far from you apparently.
They seem to have some overpriced stuff .. and lookie, there's the link.. right in your sig line..

Troll.

#3 ·

-- ANSI z87.1 is stamped on them to assure that they are actual safety lenses.
-- Polarization is nice to avoid glare
-- Heavy metal or billet frames/ear pieces will probably end up going through your skull like a screwdriver in case of accident, so I'd probably opt for plastic frames/ear pieces.
-- A snug fit around the face/cheek area to avoid getting debris up under the lenses and hitting your eye. The OCC look is out now anyway, so....
-- Affordability - good glasses don't have to cost hundreds of dollars. I know plenty of guys who ride every day with 5$ home depot safety glasses. I'm one of them...but I also ride with my Oakleys a lot too...
-- Name brand--Sometimes you still gets whats you pays for... no name junk is sometimes just that....

#9 ·

-- Affordability - good glasses don't have to cost hundreds of dollars. I know plenty of guys who ride every day with 5$ home depot safety glasses. I'm one of them....
Cujo, I got mine for only $3 at Home Depot.... ($12 for a four pack) and they work great :)

#11 ·
I have Panoptx, they are good for blocking wind, debris, & glare. They have the hook style go around the ears (instead of straight frame) that style tends to cause discomfort after a 100 miles or so. I have gone to the cheap $5 pair (if u buy three swap meet bargain) not as good blocking the afore mentioned problems but I have a windshield now & my pain is gone. Still looking for a good pair that is comfort & protective w/out costing $100 plus?

#14 ·
This be true, but those who are following along are still getting good data....

#16 ·
You are not supposed to read and ride at the same time....

Sorry I just couldn't stop myself....so here you go for the trouble. :beer:

#21 · (Edited)
When I still could wear contacts, I would go to the $.99 store and I would buy them out of any style I liked. Sometimes 5 or a dozen or more. They could fly off my face or get left at the bar, it really did not matter.

Those guys that set up at a busy corner will buy them by the gross and have a bunch in the trunk. If the police tagged him for sales without a license, he would pay the $250 ticket and just stake out another corner.

That is capitalism at the lowest common denominator. some of those guys profit $500 a day(or more).

#23 ·
Motorcycle Sunglasses

I did the $12 option (I bought 4 and got 2 free). 4 for bright sun (different frame/lens colors), 1 for night time & 1 for overcast. Total $66

What to look for?
- Low price - if the company is at every event across the country, advertises everywhere, shows up with huge trailers or semi's...guess who's paying for that? I find it interesting that many of the top names don't have high-impact ratings but they have great ads!!
- ANSI Z87.1 high impact rating
- Foam seal to keep wind out...preferabbly foam that is removable so you can use the glasses for everyday use too.
- The right amount of venting - enough to eliminate fog but not enough to cause tears
- Straight temples (those ear-thingies) so when you wear a helmet, the glasses slide right in comfortably.
- Head strap...preferrably removable
- Light Weight
- Decent Warranty

Here's what I use: http://rallymotorcycleeyewear.com/search1.cfm?Search_Term=hig+series If you like way more product information than you'll ever need, this is the site for you...they even tell you what % of light the lenses filter out.

#28 ·
Veratti 2000

This is what I've been wearing since I started having a tough time reading anything smaller than 22 font. They are tough safety glasses and fit me pretty well. I ride with a half helmet, no shield, and have no problem with wind. You can get them at any number of places and online. They are Veratti 2000 and come with or without the bifocal in different strengths. My distance vision is ok so they work for me.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ve20bi.html
I've never used this site or gotten them online for that matter. If the link doesn't work, just Google "Veratti 2000".

#29 ·
I have worn a pair of Oakleys for the last couple of years. They are heavy duty, snug fit. I also use stick-on bifocals, which really help me see the gauges and the GPS when I use / need it. This option was cheaper than buying prescription glasses. I actually use the stick-on bifocals on my dive mask when I scuba dive as well. Even stay in place in the salt water. Bought them online at www.stickonbifocals.com. No, I don't have any ownership or interest in the company.

#32 · (Edited)
I use Starlite safety glasses fom the local Lowes or HD. Z-87, wrap-around and super light weight. Dark tint for daytime or light tint for nighttime. Very inexpensive so it's no big deal to toss 'em into the trash when they become too pitted and scratched to use anymore. I usually end up killing two to three pair every year; $12.00 a year for eye protection (way cheaper than an eyeball).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.