V-Twin Forum banner

Leather pants for winter

7K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  stinkboto 
#1 ·
I bought some chaps from leatherup for over my jeans to help with the cold weather riding, but I'm thinking leather pants my be a better option, since my junk freezes from lack of coverage.

I'm impressed with my joe rocket leather jacket and wanted to see if anyone had experience with their blaster pant or similar leather pants?

A big consideration is my thighs are much bigger than the typical waist-thigh ratio, so slim or tapered fit stuff is out.

#2 ·
For really cold weather, and/or the chance of being caught in the rain or snow, I think you're better off with a textile pant. I wear chaps down to about 50 degrees. Below that, the Gerbings stuff comes out.

#6 ·
I'm not sure I want to follow '05 Train's suggestions as I can't quite decipher what he's wearing in the photo that accompanies his posts . . . . .:confused:

Lefty

#5 ·
Maybe leather pants over some thin thermal underwear.

#12 ·
For a cool morning with probability of warmer weather later in the day chaps are great, easily removed and stored. For serious cold I have a snowmobile suit insulated with Thinsulate (warm as goose down but thinner). The pants are like bib overalls, with the coat on too you have double layer on the torso, also sheds water.

#14 ·
I've heard lots of good stuff about snowmobile gear.

Fox Creek Leather is good, but a long ride below 45 degrees or so, and you're still going to end up cold. And if it rains....You're getting wet.

Wet & cold sucks.

#16 ·
I ride in cold as long as there is no snow. So if distance (over 150 miles) is involved I always put on the Gerbing Pants & Jacket. Then Aerostich Windstopper Fleece pants, then Aerostich Darien Lite Goretex rain pants. I can cook potatos in them things. But the HD or other leather OVERPANTS allow for layering too. IMHO

#18 · (Edited)
Odd how strange men act so concerned about what other men wear....I think there's a word for that.....

Sorry to offend your fashion sense, the downpour started about 20 minutes after this picture was taken. Put the pants on first since we knew it was coming. I forgot that this was a site full of "real bikers" and I was out of uniform.....

#19 ·
I wear my dead cow jacket and pants year around.

When it gets below 40 I use a First Gear all weather riding suit.

Until It gets below freezing, it is a little warm. Ive riden in the teens, and have never been cold yet in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.