V-Twin Forum banner

Full-Face Helmet Recommendation?

6K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  dwc 
#1 ·
For a new Harley Davidson rider, buying a perfect helmet may be more daunting task than choosing a bike. There are different kinds of motorcycle helmets available to choose from. I have been trying to find a new full-face helmet for winter season. Well, my friend just got a pretty nice full-face helmet from MotoSport.

Any recommendation on best online retailer in terms of cost and availability..?

#2 ·
Most important is fit, after you find one that fits , there are a few good ones , they usually have closeouts this time of year .. newenough, motorcyclecloseouts, thehelmetsource etc

#3 ·
Agree with nidan. Fit is most important, and the shape of your head can make 1 better than another. I have a Scorpion exo 1000, and love it. I'd recommend going to a local shop, and trying a bunch of helmets on to get a great fit and ensure comfort. Then go online, and try and find the one you like.

#5 ·
If you Google Shoei, you can find new, current year RF1000 helmets from $260 or so if your not too fussy about color. Easy enough to go try one on somewhere to see if you like the fit. The changeover to Snell 2010 will make some good deals on Helmets for a little bit I would think. The RF1000 and X11 are becoming the RF100 and X12 with the new Snell.

#17 · (Edited)
I just bought a Shoei FR-1000 a month ago. My first full face helmet. I've been holding off on getting one for a couple of years because of fear of claustrophobia, not being able to hear anything, peripheral vision, etc. Well, I got to tell ya. I actually kind of like it, especially in cold weather riding. It's much more enjoyable to ride with than a 1/2 helmet.

Anyway, I normally have trouble finding a helmet that will fit my melon and was pretty much restricted to HJC's. this Shoei fits perfectly. I had it on for over 8 hours today, and with the exception of 'helmet hair', I was totally comfortable. The various padding inside can be changed for different sizes/shapes.

I didn't realize that they were discontinuing that model, and it explains why I got it for almost $100 off retail. :clap:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Shoei_RF1000_Helmet_Black--32-RF-1000-BLACK.html

#11 ·
Fit is most important, brand is secondary.

I like modular helmets a lot. I've had 2 HJC's and liked them and now have a Nolan N103 which I like as well although it seems a little louder than the HJC's.

The Nolan N103 has a flip-down tinted shield inside so sun glasses aren't needed. Also make sure the outer shield has some sort of UV protection, makes a huge difference on those long days.

#12 ·
Nolan Helmet is my choice

Dealrocker, my preference is a flip helmet with my glasses and to flip up fast. It saves taking the helmet off for short stops. My favorite is the Nolan 102 helmet for quality and performance. I ride behind a windscreen 50% of the time and find it to be stable with or w/o the screen on the bike. In addition, I have found that if you adjust the ear inserts they work almost like earplugs and I love the N-Com system to talk bike to bike, or passenger or hear my Zumo GPS. Nice adder (expensive, but nice) A quiet helmet is important to me as I have to save my hearing for work ( w/ audio/video, home theaters etc). Check out Dennis Kirk Inc. on the web. I found mine for $227.00 as our local HD dealer carries HD only now. The Nolan is listed as a great fit for Round heads ( I have an oval style and excellent comfort for me ). One piece that I don't want to do w/o is the quick latch strap. I hate those D-rings. Once the quick latch is adjusted so you don't have a strap wad busting your chops, I don't even feel it and soooo fast to work. I have a Nolan 100 as well. Really like the 102 ( has sun shade and much quieter) That's my 25 cents worth.

Aster

#18 ·
Hi.

I have been wearing HJC's for years, and now I have moved up from a AC-12 to the new FS-15, and it is a really nice fitting helmet for sure. It really knocks down the noise from the exhaust but you can hear around you this is an improvement from the AC-12.
Great vision and the face shield cam be locked so it will not fly open no matter what. It has a removable and washable liner and has a liner that fights bacteria.

Rode 70 miles in the rain today, no real issues, water stayed out and didn't fog like some others do.

They do come in carbon fiber if you wish but it is a light helmet in standard fair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.