Hot weather jacket : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Riders Gear: Clothing & Accessories
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

GAZRNR wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hot weather jacket

I am looking for recomendations on a mens riding jacket that will allow air to flow thru and offer some safety features. These 90+ degree days here in the south can wear you out.

Thanks
GAZRNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

cdculbertson wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZRNR View Post
I am looking for recomendations on a mens riding jacket that will allow air to flow thru and offer some safety features. These 90+ degree days here in the south can wear you out.

Thanks
I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket. It has great airflow, plus has armor in the elbows, shoulders and back. I was concerned about the durability of the textile mesh until my son went down at 50 mph on his bike wearing the same jacket. He slid a good bit, ended up underneath a tractor/trailer and the jacket did not tear. I was impressed!

FWIW, I wore this jacket this week in temps of around 104. Sorry, but it was still hot, especially at stoplights!

Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Last edited by cdculbertson; 06-21-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Make an addition.
cdculbertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm Your Huckleberry

Mr Cujo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the Harley convertible mesh/cordura jacket.
I think I have mistakenly called this a FXRG, but fact is, I'm not really sure anymore.
They keep changing the styles so fast that the name I bought it under may not be correct anymore.
I think they call it a switchback jacket now.
Anyway, the front and back zip off completely to reveal a mesh body jacket. There are pads in the shoulders and elbows, along with cordura type material on the high stress areas such as the outside of the sleeves and the upper shoulders.
There is a removable rain liner included with the jacket as well.

It's not ideal at all if you are stopped in Atl. traffic, but in that situation, not much will help anyway. Going down the road it is plenty comfy.

The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

Politically Incorrect, Morally Challenged

Cujo's Blog- CLICKY

-----------------------------
'07 Ultra -> Covington, Ga.
Samuel L. Jackson fixed my bike.
Chuck Norris in the front cylinder, Jack Bauer in the back cylinder, Tommy Lee Jones in the tranny.
You should quit now. Your mods suck.
Mr Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

xtheunknown wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have two jackets a wear in summer. If it's 70-85 degrees I wear a Vanson Leathers strip jacket. It has strips of leather sewn onto ballistic nylon. You get airlflow over the entire jacket and 80% of the protection of a solid leather jacket. Over 85 I wear a Harley Crossroads (they don't seem to sell it anymore) jacket that is made of ballistic nylon. Allows pretty decent airflow and medium protection.

Last edited by xtheunknown; 06-22-2009 at 06:56 AM.
xtheunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Join MRF/ABATE

Bluzmn59 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I wear a Tourmaster jacket here in the toasty temps of east central GA. It has a two-stage liner so it is actually warm down to the 50's and you can peel out inner quilted liner and then the nylon shell to get to a mesh jacket. It is actually cooler when riding with the mesh jacket than in a t-shirt because you are shaded from the direct sun and the air flowing through the mesh is cooled somewhat. It has armor for protection if you go down.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u65/Bluzmn59/BeachSig.jpg

1959 FLH
2007 FLSTSC
2011 FLTRU

My Photo Albums
Bluzmn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Keith E. wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
I wear a Tourmaster jacket here in the toasty temps of east central GA. It has a two-stage liner so it is actually warm down to the 50's and you can peel out inner quilted liner and then the nylon shell to get to a mesh jacket. It is actually cooler when riding with the mesh jacket than in a t-shirt because you are shaded from the direct sun and the air flowing through the mesh is cooled somewhat. It has armor for protection if you go down.
Sounds like the Tourmaster "Intake" jacket. I've got one and like it.

Keith
Keith E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Join MRF/ABATE

Bluzmn59 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
Sounds like the Tourmaster "Intake" jacket. I've got one and like it.

Keith
That's the one. I much prefer to wear leather, but when it is going to get hot, it is nice to just have to stash a little liner in the saddlebags instead of having to switch jackets. When it is really hot, it can't be beat, IMHO.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u65/Bluzmn59/BeachSig.jpg

1959 FLH
2007 FLSTSC
2011 FLTRU

My Photo Albums
Bluzmn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ponderopa wants to know where he is and how he got here
+1 on the Tourmaster. Plenty comfortable as long as you're moving...
Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

PAcanis wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've got a H-D leather mesh jacket and love it. It's good down to 60F with a sweatshirt under it and just fine on 80F days.
PAcanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

hallma1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Tourmaster Transition Series 2 jacket. It has lots of zippered vents, some armor, and a zip-out quilted liner for the colder weather. It's supposed to be very water-resistant, but I haven't tested that theory. I ride daily in East Alabama/West Georgia. It's been between 100 deg and 110 deg on the bike lately and I manage to stay in it. When it's that hot down here, no jacket is going to be very comfortable!
hallma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doof! There it is.....

'05Train wants to know Dino or Syn?
Power Trip Intercooled. It's got a zip-out rain liner, and armor. Real good when I'm moving, above 95 or so it sucks when I'm stuck in traffic.
116.70/116.01 SAE

'10 Scarlet Red/Vivid Black Electra Glide Ultra Limited
Stage 1, Intiminators, 575s

'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

hdwoman48 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another option to consider is a cooling vest. Silver Eagle makes them at reasonable prices. You soak in ice water for 15 minutes, then put it on. It makes hot, humid weather a whole lot more bearable.
SE Stage 1 Air Filter
SE Pro Super Tuner
Rich's custom seat

Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And a girl on a Harley goes anywhere she wants.
hdwoman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

Harpo63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Silver Eagle

I swear by their cooling vests. Rode through Death Valley during the day in one. Couldn't believe how comfortable I was. Bought a River Road jacket this spring- bottom half is mesh, top half leather. Has removable vest liner. Love it so far. Can easily throw on a windblock fleece jacket for cooler temps under the jacket if needed be
Harpo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

SFTL-1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a HD textile & leather jacket which both have plenty of ventilation and work well (for me) up to about 80 degrees +-. When temps get higher I use a Draggin shirt which I know is not protection comparable to a jacket, but it's much better than a t-shirt.
SE 257, HTCC Heads & Intake
Hooker Troublemaker Pipes
SFTL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

LA VIC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bought a Vanson Vent Max last year. Figured after 30 years of riding in T-shirts something better was in order. I now wear it all the time. Solid black with CE armor and 1000 denier mesh.
LA VIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement