V-Twin Forum banner

luggage t bags

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  lowrider13 
#1 ·
I was wanting to hear opinion on different t bags. I think I will need a pretty large set of bags or bag for my future trips. I just can't imagine fitting my wifes stuff on the bike:). The bike is a 98 road king. Has a large luggage rack.

#2 · (Edited)
Stuff sack for clean undies and a tooth brush.
Credit card for everything else.

Ok... Me & the wife can travel for about 3 days, with rain a cool weather gear using the tour pack and both side bags with a small duffel on the top of the tour pack. This includes a small tool kit, decent first aid kit, rain suits, clean clothes and bathroom bag.

EDIT-
Not in any particular order...

Think and pack light.
Big heavy bags = big heavy bike = rides like an unbalanced pig.
Bags with wheels & collapsible handles = unnecessary weight
Load it up and do a test run before hitting the road for the first time.
You only need about 1/2 of the stuff you think you'll want.
Jeans can be worn for several days on a tour. Nobody will know and if they do, they won't care because they are wearing day old jeans too..
Buy a smaller bag and tell the Mrs. that it's all they had. Then tell her she can use half the bag, you get the other half.

#5 ·
I carry the OEM roll up bag plus two crescent wrenches, some fuses, zip ties, a couple of bungees, a small roll of electrical tape, tire gauge, and a 1/4 drive socket rail.
I can't do any major repair with it, but I figure I can rig something to get me off the highway if need be and able to limp it to a better location. Fact is, it's an EFI bike, so major failure = shop repair anyway.. All I need is the basics.

#6 ·
Oh yeah..
The first thing the wife will want is a curling iron or hair dryer.
Gently remind her that she's going to have a helmet on all day so no need for all that.
Almost any decent place to sack out will have a hair dryer bolted to the wall anyway, so hers is just extra baggage that you don't have room for.
Tell her she can take a small makeup bag OR the hair care products...not both.. :)
Then buy her some nice blingy hair thingies and she'll be happy. If she's happy, you are happy.....Savvy ??

#7 ·
You might need to invest in the new stuff out there that will allow you to wear those pieces of clothing for multiple days... anti-bacterial, anti-stink stuff that you can wash each night and will quickly dry by morn... coconut socks, undies, t-shirts. Jeans you can wear a few days. Dirty clothes are wasted space. While that will help reduce the load, the ladies typically bring all this extra hard stuff. I gave up and got a trailer for the longer trips.

#8 ·
About five years ago, I picked up a T-Bag Super T. I ride alone, so I mount it so once the bag is packed I can use it as a back rest. Course that won't work in your case unless your wife one day decides she wants to have her own scoot.
Anyway, the super T fits the bill nicely for me. I use it for week-long adventures and she has never let me down.

As for your tool bag....Instead of packing multiple screw drivers and allen wrenches, I picked up a Craftsmen screwdriver with a magnetic tip. It came with 20 additional bits I could swap out as needed including torx, phillips and allen. Just an FYI.

Ride safe.

#9 ·
When my wife and I were traveling two-up, I just gave her the space she could have and she had to decide what was important. It worked. We used the saddlebags for riding gear/tools (rain gear, leather coats, chaps, etc.). We used the tour pack for gloves, glasses, maps and all the miscellaneous stuff you end up with. We had a t-bag that I would bungie to the luggage rack on top of the tour pack.

Now we each ride our own and have out own t-bag plus saddlebags. There is an abundance of room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.