V-Twin Forum banner

Are foam disposable ear plugs enough?

5K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  LA VIC 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the foam disposable ear plugs are enough protection? I've got a Thunderheader on my bike now, I wasn't sure if I would stay with it or go back to something quieter. But the bike runs great and I like it now.

I do some long trips and am wondering if the foam disposable plugs are enough on the right side. Our area has had high pollen counts, ragweed counts etc.. this year so it could be that, but my right ear seems a little stuffy lately.

Thanks for any expertise you can share

#2 ·
If inserted properly the provide good protection. We use them around Jet engines and they are alot louder than any Harley ever thought about being.

#3 ·
If they stay in, they're good. Between helmet straps, the wind, and narrow ear canals, I had a tough time keeping them in, so I got a set of custom molded plugs. Cost me $40, and they don't budge, even at highway speeds.

#4 ·
I use 'em all the time for long trips, wind noise at 70+ mph for hours on end will make you deaf, literally. I also use in-ear noise cancleing headphones if I want a little music to ride too as well...

#5 ·
I've also started using foam earplugs while cruising on the highways. Made a huge difference on how I felt when we stopped for the day. Seems I was not as tired if that makes sense. Over a few hours of riding the wind can beat ya down.

#7 ·
Moldex, and earsoft are two of the brands we usually use. They provide a NRR 33 protection which is the highest on the market. Like I said before if you take your time and insert them right, they work very well.

#8 ·
WHAT!!-sorry cudn't resist that one, I carry three types, I have a custom made pair (which in fact are blank hearing aid moulds),another type which have a small tube in supposed to let some a sound inn and the good ol disposables.
nightrob has said it about putting em in right, it can also be a case of trying the different types of disposable to see what suits.
Disposables are good cos u dump em as opposed to re-usables which need cleaning.
If ya don't clean em, u may end up with an ear infection which throws your balance out and brings on nausea.So dump them disposables after use and wash them reusables.
Did ya hear bout the rider who was told he needed 50 pairs of disposable plugs for a long trip, but complained that he could only get 10 pairs in each ear?.

#9 · (Edited)
one thing that might of been missed is you say your only putting one in your right ear and sound travels to your left ear as well. use ear plugs in both ears and get a high NRR as mentioned. I've found from the ear plugs I use at work, "howard leight max" one use ear plugs work well. they have a NRR 33 rating.
http://www.howardleight.com/family/index/1
if you shop around online you can find them in bulk sizes at different prices.

I'm not sure about what is going one with your one ear and you might want to get it looked at by a doc.

#12 ·
I'm starting to see how some get their post count up.

I bought the ones like putty online with a suggestion from this forum and didn't like they. it felt like silly putty in my ears, all oily too. I guess you need to find what works for you and it may take some trying different types.

#13 ·
Got to agree with either the disposable or reusable plugs they do work well for me. Its good to be able to hear when getting off the scoot to grab a bite or drink, no ringing ears is good. Also like them when its 30 degrees out quick way to get run down and sick as hell...

#14 ·
Another thing good about wearing ear plugs is they keep bugs out of the ear. Went for a nice evening ride the other day without plugs and a small bug got trapped in my ear. Bothered the $hit out of me. Had to pull over and fish the sucker out.

#15 ·
I use ear plugs whenever I ride, no matter how short the ride. I get them for nothing from friends, I live in an area with many mills/paper companies and ear plugs are everywhere.
Some give me a hard time but I ask them to put them in, ride 25 miles then take them out and ride back, you'll see/feel the difference!
As a bonus; the bike seems to run better and it sounds perfect:)

#16 ·
I picked up a set of the foam ones at a contractor supply last week, made by 3M, will try and locate some mentioned by nightrob, as the ones I got don't feel like they may not stay put. I recently 86'd the high db pipes (V&H) that exit just behind me and put on some rear exit HD's. I ain't deaf, but worry about the years of exposure. Hope the horse ain't already out of the barn.

#19 ·
The foam disposables work great

as long as you get em in right.

You can pick up a container of about 80 sets from Home Depot for about $20. Call it cheap hearing insurance.

I also found they help me hear the stereo better since there's not as much wind noise.

Never had a problem with them working their way out. Have had some occasions where its been a little difficult to get them out of my ear after a long ride, but that's a minor thing.

#20 ·
A soldier/rider in Iraq on another forum recommended the EP3 Sonic Defenders. He went on to say they use them almost exclusively over there because you can hear with them on which as most can imagine is very important. He also said he has been using the same pair almost daily for 15 months. Yes; they are washable.

I picked up a couple pair and gave them a try and must say they work great. Very comfortable for long wear as opposed to the foamy's which I've been using for well over 20 years now.

There's a little plug on the end which would be open when used for shooting but with the plug closed they are perfect for riding. I can still hear my exhaust and things around me but wind and other noise is much suppressed.

#22 ·
I'd try to look for ear plugs with the highest NRR (Noise Reduction Ratings) as you can get. For example plugs with a NRR of 20 would mean that your ear should realize a reduction of 20 dB while wearing the plugs. A number of organizations such as OSHA recommend reducing the number by a certain percentage such as 50% to allow for a safety factor. Regardless the higher the number the better. As I recall normal conversation measured at 3 feet is about 60 dB. Keep in mind that every increase of 10 dB is a doubling of the noise. 70 is twice as loud as 60 and 80 is four times as loud. Hearing damage is all about dB levels and exposure time. One of these days I'm going to borrow a portable meter from work and take a reading outside the fairing at highway speeds to see how bad it really is. Based on readings I've take at work I would think the wind noise may be over 100 dB. Believe me guys I'm no expert but if you apply this little self test it may help preserve your hearing. Does it take time for your hearing to feel normal after a long ride? You know what I'm talking about. That noise in your ears that lingers for hours. Every time that happens to you and your hearing recovers it never comes back to the same level. A slow erosion of your hearing over time. See you're really not ignoring the wife you're just going deaf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.