V-Twin Forum banner

FXRG riding gear?

11K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  Homesick 
#1 ·
Thoughts and opinions on this gear?

pro VS cons who's got it ?

#5 ·
My wife and I just got the jackets and we do like em. they are a little heavy and hot over here in the San Diego area but we love the protection they offer. looking to get t5he pants as well soon. If I were do go down can't think of anything else I would want protecting me except maybe some good life insurence, lol.

#7 ·
I recently broke down and ordered the FXRG fabric jacket and WOW! This jacket rocks, it is heavy, waterproof and very well made. It has several ventillation openings and remains cool as long as you're moving - I wouldn't want to sit stationary in the Summer heat for too long, but that can be said of all but the Summer perforated jackets.

You won't regret purchasing this jacket.

Cliff

#9 ·
Ok so Im not real happy with my jacket. My original one lasted about 9 months when the zipper broke. I took it to the dealer where I bought it made a fuss about it and they gave me a new on with a "up graded zipper". That was a year and a half ago well almost all of 2008 I didnt ride because of health issues then I started riding in JULY 2009 in about a week the new ZIPPER breaks! I finally take the coat to the dealer last week [which is an hour drive] and now they have to send it out to Harley to get fixxed , no new jacket ,no money back just told me I need to have it sent to Harley and it will be 6 to 8 weeks tell I get it back. This is bull I spent almost $700 on a jacket that is supposed to be the best and after three jackets they wont give me my money back or anything and they KNOW that their jackets have zipper problems. I am very disapointed! You know the bad part is now Im stuck with a jacket that well proably break agian.

#28 ·
I understand your frustration, but send the damn thing in and let them fix it. Very few motorcycle dealers, not even BMW, keep a seamstress on staff. Have you never had to send anything else in for warrantee work? Trust me, it's common.

joe

#10 ·
Got an FXRG Series 1 leather jacket on Ebay for a steal. Used it today for the first time. I bought it to use as a fall/spring jacket, since my Fox Creek is sized to fit over stuff for the really cold weather. This morning's ride was about 60 degrees and overcast. With the jacket (no liner) and a short-sleeved shirt underneath it, I was totally comfortable.

Very nice piece, but I can't see spending full price on it.

#11 ·
I just got an '05 model FXRG Textile jacket, bought it from a guy online, new with tag, dang thing is an XL but too big for me! I did wear it once, riding in 50 degrees and light mist, jacket is AWSOME! I also have the Textile Over Pants, WAYYYY better than chaps in cold wet weather. Jacket is up for sale, reasonable!

#12 ·
I have had my FXRG Textile jacket for over a year now and love it. I wear it in temps as low as 30 and as high as around 90. I wear it at all times as long as the temps are below 90 and have not had any problems with it. Including the zipper.

I got mine at a dealer that was clearing them out. If I remember right it was around 30-40% off. If it wasn't for that I would have bought at Chicago HD or Zanotti's HD for 20% off.

#13 ·
They are VERY good... I have the jacket and it is a good compromise between comfort and protection in hot weather.

#15 ·
While this has been covered extensively I still like to add my -2$en#e-

I have the middleweight Series 1 leather jacket and this jacket is comfortable in a wide range of temps. Even in Death Valley it was comfortable as long as the vents are open and you keep moving. It vents great and they're easy to open and close while riding. It's also comfy in cold temps. I really like this jacket with the only problem being the zipper pull not staying attached.

The leather gloves on the other hand....have issues. The worst problem is trying to get your hand in and out. If your hand is damp or sweaty at all you are dragging the liner out and then it's tough to put back where it belongs. In the rain the leather soaks up the water but hands stay dry albeit cold from being surrounded by wet leather. I sprayed them with some Techtron water repellent and that made a huge difference.

#16 ·
Think I commented elsewhere on FXRG stuff, I got 40 yrs riding xperience in europe-I've used bout evry make out there and the fxrg winter gear is the best yet, its the business.
I pack the liner for use with my spring/summer/autumn rain gear and its brilliant.
Not sure about the latest leather n textile pants tho, but understand they have the temperature control mesh in em.

#18 ·
...just WAY overpriced.

IIRC, it is re-badged and logo-covered Tourmaster/Fieldsheer gear.

HD makes bikes - the clothing is made by someone else and re-badged.
Over priced? Depends what you are comparing to.
I have the Jacket and over pants, (textile) I ride all winter if conditions are dry. The liners come out and I use them on the cooler mornings, later the pants come off and the jacket vents get opened, no zipper problems also lots of pockets.

Al

#19 ·
Have you priced Vanson Langlitz, or Fox Creek? Considering that 20% off list is pretty much standard, you're talking $520 for the FXRG leather jacket. That's in line with the competition.

#20 ·
I wouldnt put the FXRG gear in the same category as Vanson, Langlitz or Fox Creek. I'd even go so far as to say that even making a comparison is an insult to Vanson, Langlitz and Fox Creek.

FXRG is re-badged FirstGear, TourMaster or Fieldsheer. Is it good? Sure. Is it worth the price? Well, when you can get the stuff from the original maker for noticeably less (with more features and fewer logos), i'd have to say, no it isn't.

I'm not saying it is bad - just not worth what you pay for it in my opinion.

I'll put my XPert jacket up against the FXRG leather any day and it was ~$400 IIRC.

#22 ·
I own both a Fox Creek jacket and an FXRG. The quality is equal.

Now granted, I might feel differently had I paid full price, but I didn't. I'm disappointed with my Fox Creek (great jacket, can't get one to fit me properly), love my FXRG.

#24 ·
In my experience FXRG is an excellent jacket. As for comparing it to Langlitz, Vanson or Fox Creek. Fox Creek does not make their products either. FC is a retailer, not a manufacturer. Vanson has moved their manufacturing overseas except for their racing suits. That leaves Langlitz which is a heck of a lot more expensive than the FXRG. I do not own a FC but I do own a Langlitz and a Vanson. My FXRG is an older, heavy weight model that is no longer made but is a great jacket. If I crash and slide down the highway, I think I would rather be wearing the Vanson than any of the others.

#25 ·
I have the textile jacket and the pants (2009), extremely happy with it, was worried about the zippers, after reading the comments and reviews on the forum. And guess what? They break...the zipper pull on one of the pockets came of after less than one year. (replaced it with a good old piece of leather) Apart from that, it is the best jacket (textile) I have ever bought, fully water proof, warm with the lining in and cool without the lining and the vent zippers open.
The pants are very easy to get on and off, warm and water proof even after riding a couple of hours in heavy rain. The only issue are the elastic straps under your feet, they break easily (I have replaced the part under your soles with a pice of leather)
So in all Very good but expensive (worth the price though)
Grumpy

#26 ·
lovvvvvvvvve them(leather) look sharp fit well, great water protection, slightly warm in the sun,
expensive, charge 650.00 probably cost 50.00 to make over there. i want the pants and shoes next

#27 · (Edited)
I got an older model medium weight FXRG jacket for about $375 when they were in the $500 list range 7 years ago. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Excellent heavy gauge leather, warm liner, fits nice, very warm when needed, good venting for warmer weather, quality zippers throughout. I don't use it though when it gets above 65-70 degrees, then I go to a crotch rocket styled mesh armored jacket in dayglo lemon. . . .The FXRG is used Oct-Dec and March-April.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.