V-Twin Forum banner

Face mask, wind and anti bug deflector

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  '05Train 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Our club is heading out on a little scoot through a few states, which will end up getting a little cold.

I'm a relative newbie to the cruiser scene, and have always road crotch rockets with full face brain buckets. Now in my older years, and a couple of herniated disks I've made the switch to a VROD.

First thing I noticed when riding with a half shell is that your an open target for bugs, which feels like you been hit by a BB.

Any suggestions on where to get your face some wind, cold, and bug protection? I took a look at ebay, but I'm sure there is place where you guys go. Seems like everything is skulls, is this a target saying your the noob cruiser rider? There are some unique ones out there besides the skulls though.

Anyway a little help in whats the best direction to pick some up, would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Face mask, wind and anti bug deflector
I run a half helmet 95% of the time and when it gets a little tough I snap on a Fog Eater flip up full face shield. It packs a lot better than a 3/4 or full helmet when space is @ a premium. I always have one available on the bike.

Years ago I carried a standard non flip face shield b4 I found out about the flip up.

Keith

#4 ·
^

Thanks for the responce bro. I do have a full faced ARAI hellmet from my R1, that I use on some fast paced highway road trips.

I enjoy almost having nothing just a mere 1/2 brain bucket, and understand that protection is really nil. Just would like to know the best place to get a cool looking bandanna or mask to keep those bugs out of my teeth. Is the stuff on eBay good to go? I road all my life on sport bikes, and don't want to come off as some tool of a weekend warrior attempting to grow a set.

Any links anyone?

#8 ·
FWIW, Any good sporting/hunting shop should have the neck gaiter Bob & Brownjams speak of as well.

I keep one in the saddlebag for cool mornings and late nights. Fit the bill very nicely for keeping the chill off. My personal preference is for fleece, but YMMV

If you know a seamstress, you can probably get one made for almost nothing out of some fleece/flannel/other and a band of elastic.

#9 ·
@gree: +1 on the neck gaitor. I have a fleece dickey (sp?) that I wear under my jacket, which makes it kind of like a turtleneck, then I slip the Gaitor thing over that and strap my half helmet on. I've ridden this combo down to below freezing and still stayed reasonably comfortable. The important thing is being able to pull it off my nose when riding in slow traffic or at a stop light, otherwise my breath gets deflected up into my glasses and I am blinded. The other problem is when I am running at 85+ it has a tendancy to blow down my face, so I have a new one now that has an elastic cord in it and one of those plastic barrel spring clips in the back so I can adjust the elastic cord... works great. I bought all this at a snowboard shop!!

#10 ·
I use a River Road balaclava with a 3/4 helmet. If you're concerned about warmth, that's good down to the mid 30s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.