V-Twin Forum banner

Waterproof gear that actually works?

17K views 87 replies 54 participants last post by  laptop14433 
#1 ·
I'm lucky enough to live where I can ride year round. Winter in this area can get down to 40 degrees but not much colder. It's great but when the rainy season starts, in the next few weeks, we get some serious downpours here.

So every year I have to purchase a new rain jacket and pants that will hopefully outdo the previous years junk.

I've had several combinations of jackets and pants from standard cheap PVC to last years Tourmaster Elite II series.

All have been great, especially the cheaper stuff, in keeping light rain out. Mist from wet roads and light rain are never a problem. The downpours are the killers. It rains so hard sometimes you can barely see 50 feet in front of you.

These torrential downpours happen here in South Florida almost every afternoon on my way home from work. So much water comes down it always finds its way through the chest area of all my jackets. Also the water pools in the crotch area between the seat and the gas tank which eventually seeps through the 'waterproof' pants.

Are there any true 100% waterproof rain suits out there? Is a one piece better for this then a 2 piece design? I'm about the hit the purchase button on the TourMaster Rainman jacket/pants. Has anyone tried these yet? Are they any good?

There's nothing worse then arriving at a clients office looking like you just peed all over yourself or having the spend the day in soaking wet under-ware. Nasty!

See less See more
#73 · (Edited)
I have a set of Frogg Toggs. They were designed for police officers, have the highly reflective piping, even a slits that close for wearing guns on your hip ( useful in carry states ). Have not had a problem with getting wet with those and would ride for hours in the rain, no fairing at that time. No water pressed through the material or the zippers (had a different set before where that happened) and they let you breath better than the plastic stuff.

Update, just found out this is being discontinued. Too bad...

#8 ·
Are there any true 100% waterproof rain suits out there? Is a one piece better for this then a 2 piece design? I'm about the hit the purchase button on the TourMaster Rainman jacket/pants. Has anyone tried these yet? Are they any good?
Do you mean Firstgear? Tourmaster doesn't have "Rainman" as far as I can tell.

I have something from Tourmaster very similar to the Elite II. Must be the older version - Elite II looks like it's put together even better.

I've ridden in rain so heavy I could barely see and ride quite often in light to medium rain - never had any issues with the suit keeping the wet out. Can't say the same for my boots and gloves.

#32 ·
I have something from Tourmaster very similar to the Elite II. Must be the older version - Elite II looks like it's put together even better.

I've ridden in rain so heavy I could barely see and ride quite often in light to medium rain - never had any issues with the suit keeping the wet out. Can't say the same for my boots and gloves.
In fact, I rode the Swiss 500 Miles this weekend and it rained for several hours. I was completely dry, except the back of my neck where my helmet had dripped a little.

#10 ·
well I place an order for the First Gear rainman pants. Everything I've read seems very positive. I may be able to deal with my Elite II jacket for a while. That's what I say until that first torrent comes down and my chest ends up soaking wet. If these Rainman pants turn out to work I'll probably bite the bullet and become a billboard for the MOCO by getting a nice quality jacket.

#14 ·
I've got em, very expensive but worth the $ to me. First time I wore the top/bottom it was in the summer in lower Ala. It never rained on me but I stopped and chatted with someone for about 30 mins and never broke a sweat. My buddie told me when I bought the bike to not scrimp on the rain gear and I am glad I listened!:)

#12 ·
i use the bottoms fro a 2 piece set i got at sam's club gortex waterproof/windproof and breathable 39.00 and an oilskin duster on the top and down the legs. works great snaps nice and tight around neck without cutting off the circulation. i use doc baileys boot black to keep my boots waterproof and extra on the seams..
oh yeah duck tape around the right calf so the pants dont melt if they rest on the air cleaner..
patrick

#17 ·
...There's nothing worse then arriving at a clients office looking like you just peed all over yourself or having the spend the day in soaking wet under-ware. Nasty!
Not trying to be a smart... but why not just pack your clothes, wear swim trunks to ride, towel off when you get there, then dress?

If you're concerned with protective riding gear, some of the mesh stuff works well when wearing nothing underneath.

#19 ·
I always keep a spare set of underwear, slacks, socks, and shirt in my bag just in case but it would be nice to have rain gear that doesn't leak. My new Rainman pants arrived today. The fit and quality is better then any of my previous sets. I can't wait for that first shower to test them out. I've also been looking at the FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket. It looks promising.

#21 ·
If you want 100% waterproof, there are two choices. Drive the cage to work or get a wetsuit. I use a cheap PVC set from Tractor Supply. Never had any major soakings yet and my set doesn't even have a zipper (it's buttons). Sometimes the rain isn't so bad. If it's hot and humid out and I'm on my way home (where a change of clothes awaits), I generally don't bother with the raingear. I just use my waterproof gators to keep my feet dry cause footwear takes longer to dry out than overnight. Sometimes there are more important things to obsess over.....like what kind of oil do you use...LMAO!

#23 ·
Hugger leather is made of 100% Technaline® cowhide. Technaline is a patented process that renders leather waterproof. The Technaline process ensures that your garment will wear, maintain its waterproof quality, and keep its shape longer than any leather available. Hugger apparel will never become misshapen or loose and, unlike most leathers that are .6 to .8 millimeters thick, Hugger waterproof leather is 1.0 full millimeter thick.Hugger leather will never crack or become stiff and because the leather retains its waterproof quality for life, Hugger garments provide added safety and allow you to stay in control of your bike. If it doesn't say Technaline, it's not waterproof leather!

www.huggergloves.com
Wow, 2 posts and they both look Spam-ish.

#24 ·
i got some of the nylon fxrg gear coat and pants.

yes they were expensive but aim glad i bought them. if i would know how nice they are 5 years ago i would have bought them then.
plus the have a 5 year warranty on them

i agree there's no point in buy cheap stuff if you ride a lot or take long trips on your bike.
why buy something 2 or 3 times when you just could have bought good quality the first time around?

#34 · (Edited)
+1 for Frogg Toggs. 100% waterproof and only like 50 bucks!

All my old rain suits would make me sweat my butt off, these breathe just like cotton.

You can wash them too, they are waterproof by the fabric design, it is not a coating that wears off. Fabric feels like paper when new, easy to pack tight.

Grab a set of the Harley Gaiters to cover your boots. Much more comfortable than rubber over-boots, covers up to your knee.

Bone dry in 2 hour + downpours.

#35 ·
Depends on what you're riding in. Ride 450 miles in steady to heavy rain and you're getting wet no matter what you're wearing.

With that being said, Frog Toggs worked better than my expensive H-D rain gear or my buddy's H-D Gore-Tex mega expensive stuff.

#37 ·
I recently purchased Tour Master's mid-grade stuff I have $180 invested. That includes the nylon boot covers. All of it works great. So far I've spent about 12hours total in heavy rains. Bone dry. Has Nomex lined inner legs, no melting. Has an under helmet hood, no water dripping down your neck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.