V-Twin Forum banner

Fingerless gloves?

21K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  PNW Slim 
#1 ·
Looking to buy a pair of fingerless gloves. Anyone use them? What kind should I buy? Ebay has el-cheapos...HD dealer has them for alot more$$.

Thanks.

#3 ·
Avoid cheapos. HDs are good, you'll be comfortable in them, and you'll have a chance to try them on which you won't have if you buy over the internet.

I always ride with gloves, boots, long pants, and a helmet. I believe fingered riding gloves are superior if you take a tumble. I confess, however, that I own two pair of fingerless gloves for those hot, humid days of mid-summer.

Another piece of fingerless glove wisdom. Consider the tan. I own two pair because my first pair have cut outs on the back of the hand above the fastener. After much riding at all, I end up with little half-moon's tanned into my hide.

I was talking to a client one day who interrupted our conversation to say, "You ride a motorcycle, don't you?" I said, "Yes, but how would you know that?" She pointed to my little half moons and said I had a biker-glove tan. She was right. I went back to the dealership and bought solid backed fingerless gloves.

#4 ·
I've got a pair of Power Trip gloves that work really well. They've got a really thick gel cushion on the palms which makes for very comfortable riding.

#5 ·
I have some with jel also and they work real nice.
I do, however like the new manufacturer that has fingerless (shortys), that allow uv to get through.
This way, you don't have weird looking white hands with tan just on your top half fingers.
I think J&P has em.:coffee:

#7 ·
#8 ·
I don't wear fingerless gloves because of lack of protection. Unlined leather long fingered gauntlet gloves is my choice. Deerskin is cool enough for summertime and has better abrasion resistance than cowhide. Vanson makes some good one,... I'm sure there are others.

Reactions: troqed
#10 ·
I didn't like the sticky grips and black hands after a ride. That's why I'm wanting the gloves. My wife just bought me some new grips so we will see how they fair. I may still buy some gloves though, I guess we'll see.

#11 · (Edited)
Seeing the hands of a rider who went down wearing fingerless gloves was enough for me. The covered parts were okay, but the exposed fingers were all chewed up. Poor guy could not even use a pencil or type on a keyboard.

They beat full fingered gloves into us at motor school and seeing those hands of the rider who went down convinced me of it. Although I did know a motorcop who cut off the very tips of his thumb and first two fingers of his dominant hand glove. It was so he could easily write tickets without having to remove his gloves to work the pen.

#13 ·
I have to admit, fingerless gloves and Bennie (novelty) helmets are two motorcycle items I could never understand:confused: If heat is the reason for wearing fingerless gloves, check out gloves with perforated leather, I wear ICON Pursuit gloves in warm weather and love them - http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1977&id=7882 Without going overboard, I try (within reason) to dress for a fall.

#15 ·
I went down with fingerless gloves. road rash hurts and lot the 24 in on my hip hurt much less than the 1/4" x 1/2" marks on 3 fingertips. That made a believer out of me. leather gloves, even in the summer.

#16 ·
I wear fingerless gloves most of the time. the controls just don't feel right to me without them ... and warm gauntlets to keep the wind out of my jacket when it's cold.

Mine are padded leather weightlifting gloves. I bought them 20 years ago and have had to repair them a few times. They're showing their age, but they are very comfortable.

#28 ·
Those are some nice deerskin gauntlets. Do you know if anyone has good ones that are undyed? One thing I hate about the black dyed gloves is that when you get caught in a downpour on the bike (and you eventually will) all the dye washes out and turns your hands black. Natural color of the tanned leather is fine...

#24 ·
Man, this is turning into on of threads like "what oil is best". :beatdh:

I've got fingerless gloves, heavy insulated gauntlet gloves, and lightweight gloves. I wear all of them at some point during the year. During the heat of the summer, I seldom wear any gloves.

Maybe its like my bike. There are faster and more comfortable bikes out there, but I like mine.

#26 ·
Yup, but with so many choices available in gloves and oil what do you expect? If people didn't buy them they wouldn't stay on the market.

#36 ·
Fingerless gloves are all about having the palm protection, but also having the ability to ID bar switches by feel. That of course is mostly a bagger thing, since they have the most functions that work off of thumb switches.

I've been known to cut the thumbs out of fingered gloves. Just to have better feel on the thumb switches.

With that said, there are some out there who wear fingerless gloves or no gloves because they want to be in full pose with all of the oversized rings while they ride. As for the no gloves, those are people who haven't been down at speed, yet. Or ride in cold weather.

#32 ·
Fingerless gloves for feeling the ice-cold schooner, feeling all brave and accomplished, sitting at the local Pub, staring out the window at some POS scooter that someone else built.
Feeling like what he thinks a real biker is all costumed up.
Making sure the word "cage" is used over and over.
Bragging about shet one has not ever done or ever going to do.
Argh argh argh

#34 ·
Can't pick your nose or get that little gnat out of your ear with regular gloves! And they beat that sunburn on the back of your hand when it's 110⁰. Ever grab ghe grips after they've been sitting in the sun for a while? I can't believe these guys with metal grips. I've got one pair of fingerless gloves just for those reasons. Can't tell you how many other full fingered gloves I have. Warm weather, cold weather, wet weather, etc. And I even have extreme cold weather liners! I have a big piece of really nice buckskin I'm trying to talk my wife into making a pair of gloves out of.

#35 ·
I gots troubles -
i have a green machine
No tinker bell
and no skulls or crosses.
I do suppose some spurs,
wrist bands with spikes a big chained wallet
and fingerless gloves will make me into a ...?
LOL

#38 · (Edited)
Brand'd, here ya go
------------------------------------------
I gots troubles -
And have a green machine
A tinker bell too
Do you know what I mean?
Some skulls and crosses.
Some silver spurs,
crossbones and tatoos
some praying before that curve
So i don't lose my nerve
wrist bands with spikes a big chained wallet
leather inlaid and a huge receipt where i got it
Fingerless gloves and a cool hand dwn
just to tell you all I have been around..............
Argh argh lol

For my fellow posers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.