V-Twin Forum banner

Ebay Leather Jackets?

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  slat 
#1 ·
Just wondering if any of you have bought one of those cheaper Ebay jackets or chaps. I'm thinking of ordering one...

Good move? Or a complete waste of my hard earned $$?

Thanks.

#4 ·
Go for USA made!

I have a couple SCHOTT jackets I purchaced on EBAY. They are great and made in New York City. Retail is usually around $500 but available on Ebay for around $200 or less if you are patient. I would go for one of the better known, made in the USA, quality jackets even if it were used. You will be much happier with good leathers down the road and you will forget what you paid for them.
My $.02. TH :coffee:

#6 ·
I have a couple SCHOTT jackets I purchaced on EBAY. They are great and made in New York City. Retail is usually around $500 but available on Ebay for around $200 or less if you are patient. I would go for one of the better known, made in the USA, quality jackets even if it were used. You will be much happier with good leathers down the road and you will forget what you paid for them.
My $.02. TH :coffee:
@gree:
There are several good USA made jacket companies. Schott is my favorite. Why buy jackets made by people who want to kill us.

#10 ·
I started riding again after 25 years out of the saddle---like quite a few of the members here. I wasn't sure I would still have the desire to keep riding, so I bought a very economically priced jacket and set of chaps---and had regular issues with the zippers on both over about 5 years.
I guess I've decided I still like to ride, and recently purchased jacket and chaps from Fox Creek Leather. The prices are much higher, of course it's 5 years later. The quality difference is incomparable. The leather quality is levels above, and the jacket, when buttoned up, keeps the air out like it should. (The other jacket never did---I'd often wear a scarf hanging behind the zipper to help with cold air intrusion.)

Just thought I'd let you know that I spent the bucks, but feel I got what I paid for and I'm a real tightwad. These items are American made to boot.

Probably more info than you were looking for, but now and then I run off at the keyboard.

Craig

#13 ·
I had (and sold) an HD branded jacket. It was a well-made piece.

That said, I'm a Fox Creek convert. Between the quality of the jacket, the way it works, and the service I've received from Fox Creek, I'll never buy anyone else's leathers. Due to the size, my jacket was nearly $500, however it looks great, fits right, and keeps me warm. On top of that, if anything ever goes wrong with it, I know that Fox Creek stands behind it.

Yes, they're a lot of money, but they're worth every penny.

#17 ·
most hd stuff, as you probably already know, is made in china and has been for awhile...if you like the style and want the hd brand or name on your back you can get good deals on ebay for slightly used ones, or buy off of a chinese site that sells them for good bucks...everyone i've read that posted on forums that did that found they were getting them at 1/2 cost from the same factories that produce for harley dealers selling for $400 here and uk. the best quality will of course be u.s. made and i do have my schott jackets, one bought new for $500 and same one very slightly used for $200 off ebay...but know your size, sizes also vary from year to year. also got an alpina that's very nice but also chinese.

i wanted a harley just because i like the logo look, and got a 2008 enthusiast for $215, very slight use no damage, in xl on ebay...looks good. but for quality i'd go u.s. as for pakistan, after what's gone on in afghanistan i do not patronize pakistani products...just my choice.

#18 ·
When it comes to leathers, you get what you pay for. I have had mine for 7 years and they are holding up fine. did thousands of miles up north in all kinds of weather with them
http://www.langlitz.com/
The difference is with these and cheap china crap, you will only buy these once because they will last for ever and the china chit you will only buy once because it will not hold up over time

#19 · (Edited)
i posted elsewhere and mentioned that i have about 10 motorcycle jackets...my first and most favorite are schott of which i have several...made in the u.s. and as you say built to last...these would always be my first choice. but as i've added alpinas and now hd jackets because of the look i like additionally to the schott, i'm getting them for secondary reasons...but as you say, for your first, or only jacket, get the best...while i think not up to langlitz, fox creek, schott, etc standards, brands such as alpina and hd put in standards for the outsourced china factories to match, and they do a good job. but it is exploitive salaries, not up to the premium brand standards, and not employing u.s. workers but rather enriching hd/alpina/etc markup profits...so i heartily say go for the best, u.s. made, first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.