V-Twin Forum banner

Heat proof material

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  strokerjlk 
#1 ·
I need some type of material to put on the inner leg of my heated pants so the hot exhaust pipe will not melt them.
Is anyone aware of anything for this?
Duct tape makes a terrible mess on the pipe.
Thanks

Barney Biker

#2 · (Edited)
I used a thermal barrier that is used for what is called a hot sleeve. I just cut to fit the area.
You probably dont have access to this material so....
You can get creative. look at hot pads for cooking or what i have used before is the upper sleeve of a old welding glove. A piece of leather that got cut from the bottom of your favorite posers chaps LOL.
just start thinking of stuff that is heat proof.
Another suggestion is a piece of black demin from a old pair of pants or shorts.

#4 ·
:sofa:

Reinherts true duals!!!!
your favorite Dennis!
The left pipe sticking out a extra 1 1/2" is hell on the vertically challenged!
:crying:

#5 ·
cams, headwork and tune cures lots of problems. as far as curing RHTD's, well------they can be cooled, maybe not cured, but cooled. LOL overlap is your friend.

or, you can install some genuine HD shields, plastic of course.

#6 ·
Dennis the problem lies in the fact that when your pants leg touches the heat shield it burns the pants. The problem isn't shielding heat from your leg but stopping the burnt pants. My bike was tuned to reduce the heat but any time ya lay your leg on the pipe it is going to burn a hole in it.
Damn 30" in inseam!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.