V-Twin Forum banner

What kind of safety gear?

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  stinkboto 
#1 ·
hey guys!

I am new to the forum and new to the biking community. I would like to know what sort of safety gear I should wear? Obviously a helmet and jacket are highly recommended (and i wear them).. probably my bigger focus is on the shoes. I will be riding for fun, but I will also be riding to school and work. Boots (to my knowledge) are not very comfortable to be in all day long, correct me if I am wrong. I do have rather large feet as well 14 Wide. Jeans again are an obvious bc we dont wanna burn our legs!

anything else guys?

thanks!

#2 ·
with feet that size (14!) and their being rather wide i would be looking for something with an areodynmic shape..other wise you cud take off like airplane...:hystria: once you get rolling down the hwy...
what the heck are you shaques kid? :clap:

#6 ·
A good set of gloves.

If you have an open face helmet then you need a set of wrap-around glasses.

In Florida it frequently rains in the PM so you might have to ride home in the rain. Look at rainsuits.

Then there is the friggin' lightning! I don't know how to dress for a thunderbolt.

#8 · (Edited)
I learned a long time ago that proper riding gear is the best investment you can make.
Boots
Find what is comfortable for you there are a lot of options out there. Leather is only waterproof if it has a inter membrane of PVC or whatever the particular manufacturer calls it. This makes for a hot boot in high temps though. Nikwax makes a paste that is the best I have found for waterproofing leather it can be found at BMW dealers or sporting, camping goods stores I cant recommend this product enough. It will let the water soak in after several hours of riding in a frog strangler!. But for the most part it just beads up and rolls off.
This might upset some but......stay away from lace ups. The laces can get wrapped around the shifter or even the brake pedal. It can be pretty embarrassing to come to a stop and try to put your foot down and cant. Picking your bike up at a busy intersection can be embarrassing also. LOL Before the flaming starts I have seen it happen more than once. It happen to me once although I didn't drop my bike It made A believer out of me.
Helmets
Everyone has there opinion. The modulars are my choice for protection and convenience. 95% of high side get offs will result in a face first landing . So open face will do no good in these type of situations.
Gloves
I have several (like a woman and shoes!). I now will be altering them as I have severed my little finger. Lots of choices just wear them all the time because it is a natural reaction to put your hands down during a fall or slide. Make sure they are constructed to take a slide. No fingerless!!
Jeans tee shirts vs riding pants and jackets.
Jeans and a tee shirt dont do a lot for protection.
I wear tourmaster air venture pants they can be worn in all seasons. They are mesh with armour and actually are cooler than jeans because they let the air flow threw. They have two liners a rain and wind liner and a thermal liner. They can be worn as just the mesh or any combo of the other two or all three. So they really are a 4 season riding pant. You can use them as a over pant with shorts or jeans under them. another +.
Jackets
I have several jackets also. I wear one always. I have a couple for cold weather and a couple for hot weather.
Mesh for summer with under armour shirt will keep you cool. The under armour will wick away moisture and the long sleeves will actually keep you cooler because it keeps the sun off of ya! And no more greasy sun screen!
Leather or Textile for cold. Throw in some electric gear and ride untill the Ice or snow stops ya.
When considering riding jackets and pants .
Textile and mesh offer brands or types that have zip in rain liners. This is A + for packing because they will take up less room than traditional rain suits. They also will serve as a wind block to help keep you warm if the situation arises.
Just remember to be safe it's
ATGATT!!( ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME!)
I know a lot of guys dont wear gear as they think it isn't cool or it makes them look like a newbie.
Whatever you do is your decision. But most of the guys I know that are into ATGATT are just the opposite we have been riding a lot of miles for a lot of years and have developed the habit from experience and witnessing others misfortune from not wearing gear. The more miles you ride the greater the risk! Just a example I know a guy (fellow IBA rider) that just went threw a high speed slide then rolled with his bike then slide again. 300 ft on the interstate! He was wearing a Motosport jacket & pants, modular helmet, and good riding gloves. He walked away with a swollen little finger!!!!! His riding jacket and pants can be repaired and used again!!! He said he could feel the heat building up inside his jacket. But no road rash at all!! OK enough said and O-yea good luck on those 14's LOL!!
EDIT...It was motoport pants and jacket and Sidi boots.He logged 64000 miles last year so he isnt a newbie by any means!

#11 ·
strokerjlk thanks for all of the GREAT information.. When I started reading around here and saw people saying boots.. i thought i may as well ask about other safety gear that I may need.
I do plan on riding with safety gear all the time! My life is very valuable to me!
again thanks for the plethora of information

#13 ·
What strokerjlk said. Good gear isn't cheap. Neither is your life.

#14 ·
I've been riding for thirty-some years and don't worry much anymore about how I look. What I do concern myself with is the weather. And I don't want any more bother from the weather than it is possible to prevent with the right gear. Like to think that's common sense/safe riding.

As far as others go? I tend to look with some respect on riders who give safety a thought or two. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.