V-Twin Forum banner

Laptop/Cell Phone Charger

8K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  laptop14433 
#1 ·
Since I ride a Heritage Softail, I don't have 12v cigarette plugins on my bike. I'm looking to find some type of charger for my laptop/cell phone that I can hook up to a pigtail to the battery. Does such a thing exist?

#2 ·
Radio Shack, Napa, or any good well stocked auto store should have a universal 12v cig lighter/adapter that can be hard wired to the battery.

Make sure you put a fuse or circuit breaker inline tho..just for extra protection.

#4 ·
Some folks use a Deltran Battery Tender pigtail attached to their battery to keep it charged up while not in use. They make a 12V cigarette lighter socket to plug into that pigtail. When you don't need it, just unplug it and keep it in the saddlebag. They use SAE 2-Pin Flat connectors.

This cable from Deltran hooks up to the battery:

The cigarette lighter adapter (3", 12", or 18" cable) from Powerlet Products just plugs in to the Deltran pigtail cable:

#5 ·
I'm a cheap bastid', so I went to Walmart and bought a weather resistant 12v cigarette lighter socket with 18" leads for $7, then to O'Reilly's auto parts for an inline "mini" fuse holder and a 2 lead trailer plug (Has both ends of the plug).

These items, plus 2 ring terminals, some 12 ga wire, solder, heat shrink tubing and electrician's tape that I had at home anyway, all resulted in a 2 lead plug (+ shielded, - exposed) w/ inline 10A fuse wired directly to the battery. The plug is hidden just inboard of the left side rear fender support. The second part is the cigarette lighter on 18" leads, ending in the matching trailer plug. Last was a $5 iPhone charger from a discount shop.

The removable items stuffed into a ziplock baggie in my left side swingarm bag, which can also hold my phone while charging. Probably have less than $15 total in the setup.

As well, with another trailer plug, I can plug my Harbor Freight battery tender (See, I told you I was cheap..) to the pigtail during prolonged downtime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.