V-Twin Forum banner

What Saint to ask for protection?

17K views 58 replies 39 participants last post by  RGRider 
#1 ·
Ok, I know this is an odd question for you Catholics and lapsed Catholics, but what Saint - and thus the medal you would wear - would you ask for their protection while you ride? Just interested in people's take on this.

#6 ·
In Barbarela, they chanted Harley Davidson

#10 ·
As an old fallen away Catholic Altar Boy - I can tell I use the same Saint as "Elwood Blues" (Dan Akyrod) from BLUES BROTHERS -- "Our Blessed Mother of Acceleration Don't Fail Us Now!". BTSOOM

#13 ·
St Christopher has been taken down as a "real" saint. As an old altar boy myself, I would still go straight to the real deal. Saints are not to pray to, they are to be used as examples

#14 ·
As a Catholic I do pray "to the real deal" LOL.
My patron saint is like my friend who I ask to pray FOR me.
Kinda like when, say for example u have a sick relative and u ask friends and even members on this forum for their prayers, to pray for your sick family member.
It's the same thing.

#17 ·
That is how it should be. There are many people that claim to be Catholic, that use the saints as undergods. This is how Santamaria and a few other Latin America followings as well as Voodoo work. They just put saints in place for lower demons. This has happenned the whole history of the catholic church, they just blended old followings with Christianity.

This explains All Saints Day, Christmas, even many of our celebrations at Easter. This is autum equinox, start of winter(shortest day of the year) as well as spring equinox. Many of the saint's days are just there to cover up other practices. This explains holy water(springs were sacred to the Celts and Druids) and many other practices.

Praying to Mary just takes the place of the Earth Mother in her virgin form, mother form and crone form.

I would rather cut through the BS, yes, I know I sound like a Protestant.

#18 ·
I believe what the bible teaches is true. The bible is clear on who to pray to for anything and there is only One person to pray to if we want our prayers heard.

Douay-Rheims Bible (Catholic bible)
For there is one God, and one mediator of God and men, the man Christ Jesus:

This is pretty clear. There's only one mediator or 'go between' if we want God to hear and answer our prayers. God bless.

#21 ·
I will just be straight up with you. Don't pray to or ask a "saint" for protection. That is a Catholic tradition that has absolutely no scriptural reference or support. In fact, it says in the bible that the traditions of men make the Word of God of no effect. That means that when you do something out of mans tradition, it is done in vain. Pray to our Heavenly Father, in Jesus name, and ask Him for protection as you ride. I don't mean to offend, but if you can provide me one single scripture in the entire Word of God (the bible) where we are instructed to pray for a saints protection, I will apologize for being so blunt.

#28 ·
With the all the cagers out there gunnin' for me and mine...I ask them ALL to pray for me....and anyone else that would be willing to take the time to pray for me...PLEASE DO!

REV 5:8
...And when He had taken the book, the four living creatures {beasts} and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden bowls {vials} full of odors, which are the prayers of saints....

#29 · (Edited)
I just do what the Bible says... I Pray to God/Jesus and They listen and answer... Some times just to prove me wrong for His Glory...

Just 3 days ago I was Healed of something I was ready to die with... and was fixing to start treatment Which i had postponed for 2 yrs (a year long treatment) when the Doc called 3 days ago and said he did not know what i was doing, but to keep it up as i don't need treatment ( the same as wurk turk,s wife) and my numbers were great and no damage.

This came about as I was mad at God and told my wife God don't listen.... 1 week later this happened.... So he proved me wrong !!!

Which I have been saved for 20+ years...

Do i Deserver This,am I special..No...
I do not know why God/Jesus heals some and not others, But I am Greatfull and Promised I will tell everyone of the My Healing For His Glory !!!!!

Glory Be To God/Jesus... Not a saint.....

#30 ·
Now it is not wrong to ask a preacher, priest or such to pray with/for you, But if you are saved Jesus said since your sins are washed away you can go directly to God with your prayer request. If you pray to a saint how can you ever have a relationship with God/Jesus and the Holy Sprit. They want to know you personally and talk with you and fellowship with you.

#38 ·
Now it is not wrong to ask a preacher, priest or such to pray with/for you,

If you pray to a saint .
Okay...lets try this again...

Note the words "for," and "to."

Put in another context: I gave a harley TO my wife FOR her birthday.

Note "TO" refers to a transfer of something (in this case a harley), while FOR refers to reason for the transfer (in this case her birthday). Note the disimilarly.

Now when some prays to a saint...that is blaspemy. But when some one asks a saint to pray FOR them, that is perfectly acceptable. Why?

Well, first who are the saints?

They are the "holy people, or holy ones" of God. They can be preists, or preachers..as you correctly noted...or they can be simply your own friends and family that you may ask to pray FOR you in a certain circumstance...for example if you are sick or have bought a powerball lottery ticket. You likely ask them to pray for you because you believe that, for whatever reason, God will listen to them. Probably because you consider them, in some way, to be a "saint." (notice we never ask the devil to pray for us - or by coincidence-Jane Fonda).

A saint can also be dead, but be in heaven..particularly if they were a martyr for Christ. (See Rev 6:9 ). Because we know that the Saints are in heaven, and bring the prayers of the faithful to Christ, (Rev 8:3) we (some of us) ask the saints to pray FOR us. We SHOULD not pray to them... that would be blasphemy. And we SHOULD not worship them, that would idolotry. We SHOULD not confuse them with being Gods, or God, or even angels, because they are the just people like you and me, "the holy ones of God."

The word saint fromt the latin sanctus, meaning "concecrated, or to be made holy." So any person, living or dead, can be asked to pray FOR you, because they, by means of their santification, are a part of the body of Christ. So just like Pig Pen, on the Charlie Brown Christmas show who takes pride in his dirt, we should take pride in our own "santification," by means of baptism, as being a part of the body of Chirst, and be proud that someone will ask us to pray FOR them (never to them).

#31 · (Edited)
Hi all.

Okay as a Catholic, I know there are two Patron Saints for us Motorcyclist.

1) Saint Columbanus
2) (The) Blessed Virgin Mary.

Heres the link....
http://saints.sqpn.com/pst00494.htm

If you look at the center of my dash, you will see a medallion of Mary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.