Comments not welcome - Page 10 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Non-Motorcycle Related Discussion > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #136 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyone View Post
Bad or poor grammer doesn't bother me. And spelling, hell if it weren't for spell check I'd be screwed LOL. What does bug me is internet posters, here and other sites, who ask a question and go on for half a page with no CAPS, periods, comma's... nuth'n. And they expect people to understand wtf they're asking or tying to say. Other than that, no biggie to me.
I don't mind guys making mistakes. I mind the fools who puff up about it- it's just a stupid attitude.

I'd add paragraphs to your WTF list.

joe
Inventor of the FXR Cult Secret Decoder Ring
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Missing Link Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #137 (permalink)
IronButt

ecir45 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
You ever stand and watch 2 people discuss something, and you can figure out what they are both saying, but you can also figure out that they are both misunderstanding each other?
Have seen this happen all too often
ecir45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #138 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels
Quote:
I honestly have no idea what might be the "average" education or intelligence level of a particular age group, but what I have issues with is not as simple as poor grammar. I have issues with what I refer to as not understanding English.
  • Yes, I get annoyed when I attempt to learn what someone is asking or trying to say and I can't because it is just too ****in hard to try and follow.
  • Yes, I think it looks bad when someone is in a professional situation (like advertising or marketing of anything that involves written communication as part of their job) misspells things or uses wrong words. I mean, they are getting paid to do this, right?
  • Yes, I get annoyed when somebody doesn't understand what I said because their use and understanding of words is so poor that they don't get subtle differences between words and just make it clear that I wasted my time choosing the correct words to say something.

On the flip side:
  • Yes, I'm glad that I have a much easier time than most people recognizing a phishing email or bogus claim or deceptive ad because hackers tend to have poor English skills and good advertising writers tend to use tell-tale words and phrases that a lot of people don't seem to catch.
  • Yes, it is kind of funny to watch the dumb look on someone's face when they just didn't get the humor because it went over the head.
  • Yes, it is funny to watch someone rant about another's "stupidity", while they butcher the language trying to tell us how stupid that other person is.

So, I would not say that "bad grammar" bothers me any more than anyone else (anyone who recognizes it when they see it I mean). Lack of ability to communicate bothers me, when I am interested in communicating.

I would also say that people who tend to not care about "details" express that lack of caring in other areas too. This provides a good screen when deciding who to give "important work" to.
One of my pet peeves is really close to your 2nd bullet-
People who are paid to use the language, written or oral, and make no effort to do it well.

Local newscasts are a great example. If some of those people spent half the effort on their word choices that they do on practicing mugging, posing, and breathless delivery for the camera, well hell, I'd be shopping for a new pet peeve.

joe
Inventor of the FXR Cult Secret Decoder Ring
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Missing Link Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #139 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S is still riding a stock bike Alan S is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Local newscasts are a great example. If some of those people spent half the effort on their word choices that they do on practicing mugging, posing, and breathless delivery for the camera, well hell, I'd be shopping for a new pet peeve.

joe
They don't just read cue cards?

Rules read.
Alan S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #140 (permalink)
IronButt

1camenuf wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
You try just a wee bit too hard, I think.
But my man, it's not fun reading something you write on this forum, I have to google every 8-10 words you type. Most of the guys I ride with are hard working with 12 grade and less education, grammer will take a back seat before friends and beer and bikes.
1camenuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #141 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1camenuf View Post
But my man, it's not fun reading something you write on this forum, I have to google every 8-10 words you type. Most of the guys I ride with are hard working with 12 grade and less education, grammer will take a back seat before friends and beer and bikes.
You might be mistaking me for someone else.

Are you telling me that your riding buddies wouldn't be able to understand what you just typed right there? Or do they really need all the "dat" "fo sho" "geaux me" and all the other forced Cajun stuff?

There is a word for trying to look like something you are not.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Quotes found on the internet are not always accurate. - Abraham Lincoln

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #142 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this? BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I'm not a huge stickler on grammar or punctuation or anything else when it comes to online forums, but what does bother me are the simple things like 'to' vs. 'too'. I don't expect anyone to be a master of any language and we all misspell or mistype things, but some of this is so easy to fix it has to be little more than lack of effort.

Now, what really gets me going is to get a resume and the thing looks like it was written by a 1st grader. I see these things all the time and it baffles the living sh!t out of me how someone doesn't get that what they sent is complete crap and will never get them anything resembling a good job. Particularly interesting is that some of these people claim they've worked in jobs that I know require better language skills than they've shown with their resume. I've gotten a few that were so painful to read that I've taken the time to call and let the applicant know they need to improve their language skills if they ever expect to be hired anywhere that doesn't involve fried foods.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #143 (permalink)
IronButt

The thing about spelling is it only takes a couple letters and your post is urined.

Rules read.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #144 (permalink)
IronButt

1camenuf wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
You might be mistaking me for someone else.

Are you telling me that your riding buddies wouldn't be able to understand what you just typed right there? Or do they really need all the "dat" "fo sho" "geaux me" and all the other forced Cajun stuff?

There is a word for trying to look like something you are not.
Sorry, I do have the wrong guy my mistake
1camenuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #145 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
...and I'm not sure what you mean by "formal education". English is taught in public middle schools. At least it was when I was in school.
By formal, I mean university level.

I was lucky and had English teachers that were pretty decent.

Rules read.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #146 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
The thing about spelling is it only takes a couple letters and your post is urined.
So true.

And for the lack of a properly spelled word, you end up palm to face.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #147 (permalink)
'Toad'

Settertude is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Words are powerful. Words spoken or written have caused the worse woes and greatest joys.
Often through misunderstanding. It seems that knowing the language makes sense.
The concept of information and communication of the same assumes two things: a sender and a receiver.

The answer seems obvious...right?

"We are Groot"

When I talk like I think, people look at me funny and seldom respond.

Poser reunion 08/05/2016

2007 Road King
Some stuff the Indy did
So I can spank some poser
Settertude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #148 (permalink)
IronButt

2015RK wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think we could all learn from these reviews:

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/c...e3ivgtdnkkjj2h

https://litreactor.com/columns/20-co...one-gets-wrong

it would be even more fun if you sat down with your friends and/or children and made a drinking game out of it.

there will be a quiz next class.
2015RK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #149 (permalink)
FNG :)

hazmatmonkey wants to know Dino or Syn?
I thought this was a forum about bikes. Either we hang together or we hang separately. I've had it up to my eyeballs with right and left. I'm sticking to the center and riding my ass out of this mire...
hazmatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 05:20 PM   #150 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmatmonkey View Post
I thought this was a forum about bikes. Either we hang together or we hang separately. I've had it up to my eyeballs with right and left. I'm sticking to the center and riding my ass out of this mire...
This is the Religion & Politics forum. Maybe you missed that part.

Gets us back to the reading comprehension thing....

Rules read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.