Should 18yr old women now register for the draft? - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #31 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrvp View Post
Do I detect sarcasm?
Me? Sarcasm? Now why in the world could you even think such a thing?

Actually though, you did mention the nonexistent entity frequently referred to as God by those that weren't blessed with progressive liberal intelligence, so I guess it's not such a stretch that you would misinterpret my comments as sarcasm. Geeeezzzzz, you believers just don't get it do ya?
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this? DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toybox99615 View Post
Those who forget there have been many females serving the country in combat areas also forget there have been numerous females killed in those areas. A nurse killed at Pearl Harbor was just as dead as any man serving there. Many nurses were take prisoner by the Japanese during WWII and many died during the bombing of hospitals supposedly behind the lines. I suggest a few folks need to check the facts before they let their male bravado run their mouths off.
Holey-Moley Toy! 2 posts in the past 2-1/2 years and you pick my thread? I'm deeply honored.

The question (BTW) is if women should be required to register for the draft as men are.

PS. Michael, I don't know of any young men who have not registered at 18 (including my own son and stepsons). It's the law...it's not subjected to interpretation. The government maintains the power of subscription just as it did until Vietnam, the only difference being that it hasn't needed to exercise it recently. As Fred will tell you, they were serious then, and they're serious now.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW View Post

PS. Michael, I don't know of any young men who have not registered at 18 (including my own son and stepsons). It's the law...it's not subjected to interpretation. The government maintains the power of subscription just as it did until Vietnam, the only difference being that it hasn't needed to exercise it recently. As Fred will tell you, they were serious then, and they're serious now.
I remember what a big deal it was when I had to first register. It was 1963, the war in Vietnam was just heading up and for the next ten years the whole draft became quite controversial. I knew there was a registration law passed several years ago but that was the last I had heard about it. I have not heard about it since in any news story or conversation and wondered if it was still universally going on. I wonder what the compliance rate is.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #34 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this? DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
I remember what a big deal it was when I had to first register. It was 1963, the war in Vietnam was just heading up and for the next ten years the whole draft became quite controversial. I knew there was a registration law passed several years ago but that was the last I had heard about it. I have not heard about it since in any news story or conversation and wondered if it was still universally going on. I wonder what the compliance rate is.
I'm not sure what you're referring to? I had to register when I turned 18 in 1978 - so it's not particularly new. The only thing that changed was that we went to all volunteer army..the registration requirement never changed. As far as I know, in the case of all-out-war, my name is still on the list to this day.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Johnlee wants to know Dino or Syn?
My answer to all this women in combat **** is...read the book "Operation Buffalo"...it's an operation in Vietnam going with the "walking dead" (9th Marines) and ask if those pretty little things got what it takes. I am a Vietnam Vet Myself and I just don't know where this is going....
Johnlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #36 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
A senior in college for the 1st draft lottery . My number was 6. What was yours, Michael?

The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy. -Charles de Montesquieu
Fred1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #37 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Now that the President has withdrawn the policy which prevented women from serving in "front line" combat roles (still to be defined apparently)...should all women join all men at age 18 and register for selective service?
I don't think anybody should have to register for the draft, male or female.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I don't think anybody should have to register for the draft, male or female.
Irrelevant.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1369 View Post
A senior in college for the 1st draft lottery . My number was 6. What was yours, Michael?
When they started issuing draft numbers, I was in the first round and got number 271 or thereabouts. It didn't matter really, I was (and am) gay and at the time that me me "unfit for military service". I was also teaching in a public high school and that gave me an occupational exemption at the time.

I was actually happy to get the high draft number. That enabled me to quit teaching and go to graduate school without having to declare to Selective Service that I was gay. At the time that would have disqualified me from many teaching and other positions that I might have pursued. So I wasn't about to screw up my life because of their stupid notions regarding sexuality and let them know I was gay unless I had to. There was no way I was going to hide my gayness if they asked me directly and thus I never would have never been allowed to be inducted. I am very happy that has now changed.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're referring to? I had to register when I turned 18 in 1978 - so it's not particularly new. The only thing that changed was that we went to all volunteer army..the registration requirement never changed. As far as I know, in the case of all-out-war, my name is still on the list to this day.
There was a period of time after they ended the draft and went to the all volunteer army when no one had to register for the draft. Somewhere along the line that got changed. I remember when I heard about the change but I don't remember what year that was. So it probably happened in the mid 70's.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
There was a period of time after they ended the draft and went to the all volunteer army when no one had to register for the draft. Somewhere along the line that got changed. I remember when I heard about the change but I don't remember what year that was. So it probably happened in the mid 70's.
Micheal my friend the gap was less than 3 years.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #42 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Irrelevant.
So what you are asking is, since we force men to register should we force women to register? The answer is still no. And we shouldn't force men to register either.

Better?
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
So what you are asking is, since we force men to register should we force women to register? The answer is still no. And we shouldn't force men to register either.

Better?
Let us all be totally PC. Draft only women untill such time as the total number of women drafted equal the total number of young men drafted in times past.

:redr olf:

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by webco2 View Post
Micheal my friend the gap was less than 3 years.

Here are the details of when one didn't need to register for the draft.

Quote:
On March 29, 1975, President Ford signed Proclamation 4360, Terminating Registration Procedures Under Military Selective Service Act, eliminating the registration requirement for all 1825 year old male citizens.[12]

On July 2, 1980, however, President Carter signed Proclamation 4771, Registration Under the Military Selective Service Act in response to the Soviet Union's invasion of Afghanistan,[13] retroactively re-establishing the Selective Service registration requirement for all 1826 year old male citizens born on or after January 1, 1960.[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selecti...System#History
So it was betwen 1975 and 1980 when 18 year olds didn't have to register, a period of five years.

That article also listed the rate of compliance, my other question.

Quote:
A 2010 GAO report estimated the registration rate at 92% with the names and addresses of over 16.2 million men on file.[
Old 01-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #45 (permalink)
IronButt

spdrcr137 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Michael, I didnt register, I joined. Does that count?
spdrcr137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement