Am I a dangerous "anti-federalist?" : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is still riding a stock bike DJW is still riding a stock bike
Am I a dangerous "anti-federalist?"

According to the "Combating Terrorism Center (CTC) at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point - a government funded study of terrorism in the country, America's biggest concern with terrorisim should be with the dangerous "anti-federalist" movement.

Here is a sample of what some of these lunatic anti-federalists believe in:

Quote:
Anti federalists “espouse strong convictions regarding the federal government, believing it to be corrupt and tyrannical, with a natural tendency to intrude on individuals’ civil and constitutional rights. Finally, they support civil activism, individual freedoms, and self government.

http://www.ctc.usma.edu/posts/challe...lent-far-right
So, in other words, some lame professor sucked up a pile of government cash authoring some bull-crap study about the danger of me demanding my civil and constitutional rights?

Ooops.

Okay, you caught me, professor.
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

HiAngle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Looks like you missed something (important) from your link.

Quote:
It is important to note that this study concentrates on those individuals and groups who have actually perpetuated violence and is not a comprehensive analysis of the political causes with which some far-right extremists identify. While the ability to hold and appropriately articulate diverse political views is an American strength, extremists committing acts of violence in the name of those causes undermine the freedoms that they purport to espouse.
So if you haven't engaged in violence, does your opinion change?

The King puts the balls where the Queen wants them.
HiAngle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
All this at West Point, I find it more than just a little interesting.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is still riding a stock bike DJW is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAngle View Post
Looks like you missed something (important) from your link.

So if you haven't engaged in violence, does your opinion change?
Absolutely not...also from the study...

Quote:
“While liberal worldviews are future- or progressive -oriented, conservative perspectives are more past-oriented, and in general, are interested in preserving the status quo,” the report states.

“The far right represents a more extreme version of conservatism, as its political vision is usually justified by the aspiration to restore or preserve values and practices that are part of the idealized historical heritage of the nation or ethnic community.”
Yep. Guilty again. You got me Professor.

Note his concern is with "political vision" - not with actual acts of violence.

Remember: I still live in NY. I see this kind of left-bias in media and in the academic world every day of the week. Conservative = Bad, Progressives = Good.

This is typical left-wing indoctrination.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

speedfoos wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by webco2 View Post
All this at West Point, I find it more than just a little interesting.
That place has been churning out idiots for years. I hate it when I get a West Pointer for a commander or platoon leader. Occasionally a good one slips out with his/her morals and values intact, but most are pretty irrecoverably flawed by the time they graduate. Little gems like this simply show us why.

| PHOTOS | TWO WHEELS | FOUR WHEELS |

2004 Dyna FXDLI
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

I'm not a West Pointer but I know enough about the place to know it's not a progressive university. Maybe many on here don't know this but it does hire civilian professors and select active duty military regardless of their political ideology. In fact, I think it's a good thing that there are competing views. In this particular study, the professor has a thesis. It's up to you to decide whether or not he (or she) proves it. Just because it's coming out of the US Military Academy doesn't make it factual.

Probably time to lighten up.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

Yeah, it's amazing how many "idiots" this place churns out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Academy_alumni

Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Yeah, it's amazing how many "idiots" this place churns out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Academy_alumni
Correct, there have been some superstars to come out of that place. Doesn't change the fact that I and most of the folks I serve with dread having a West Point grad below the grade of O-4 somewhere in our food chain.

2004 Dyna FXDLI
Old 01-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

So let me see if I follow this. You claim a USMA graduate leaves the academy without their morals and values intact but it magically reappears when they are promoted to Major?

Here's a thought- it's experience and not moral fiber. A major has 10+ years of experience and a lieutenant has between 0-3 years of experience. It should come as no surprise there are major differences between the two.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
So let me see if I follow this. You claim a USMA graduate leaves the academy without their morals and values intact but it magically reappears when they are promoted to Major?

Here's a thought- it's experience and not moral fiber. A major has 10+ years of experience and a lieutenant has between 0-3 years of experience. It should come as no surprise there are major differences between the two.
No magic. The ones without values and morals are weeded out by that point, they don't change as soon as they get an oak leaf, they are simply out of my Army. And I claim a distaste for West Pointers, not all USMA graduates.

2004 Dyna FXDLI
Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

So it's probably important to understand a little bit about the author of that study. The fact he's not an American influences his views. But I get it. It's a lot more fun to think that the Army, through it's military academy, is trying to Jedi mind trick college students via foreign nationals so they can prepare them for a future engagements with tea party members.

http://www.ctc.usma.edu/posts/experts/dr-arie-perliger

Old 01-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

09 XBones wants to know Dino or Syn?
Some lame professor Danny?

The West Point think tank known as the Combating Terrorism Center has issued a paper on the dangers posed by the far right in this country, specifically people who espouse “civil activism, individual freedoms and self-government,” and says that these people tend to be anti-federalist, white supremacist, and fundamentalist in their views.

According to the paper, liberalism, including that which is seen in other developed nations, looks forward to the future, while conservative movements, especially those here, look backward and cling to an idealized version of history. They also hold a belief that the government is inherently tyrannical and given to intruding on civil and constitutional rights as much as they can. According to the paper, these people initiated 350 attacks in 2011.

One of the core issues with the extreme right is that while they espouse individual freedom and like to try and spread fear regarding the government’s activities, they also seem to believe in a type of authoritarianism—one of the very things they profess to loathe in government—that includes a strong resistance to authority from what they view as “outgroups,” namely blacks and women, unions, and more.

They also seem to view the Constitution as a static document, unchanging despite the way society has changed over the last 230 years, and want laws made and judges to rule based on the original intent of the document. Here’s the issue with that: When it comes to the 2nd Amendment (for example), the original intent of the amendment was to preserve slavery. The words, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State…” refer to the freedom of white men in the southern states to own slaves, and to police those slaves with their militias as they saw fit. The original intent was not to ensure the people’s freedom from a tyrannical government, which is what every gun-rights activist espouses today

Gee Danny, seems like "some professor" has you and the rest of planet wingnut pegged pretty well...
09 XBones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ReconLdr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 XBones View Post
Some lame professor Danny?

The West Point think tank known as the Combating Terrorism Center has issued a paper on the dangers posed by the far right in this country, specifically people who espouse “civil activism, individual freedoms and self-government,” and says that these people tend to be anti-federalist, white supremacist, and fundamentalist in their views.

According to the paper, liberalism, including that which is seen in other developed nations, looks forward to the future, while conservative movements, especially those here, look backward and cling to an idealized version of history. They also hold a belief that the government is inherently tyrannical and given to intruding on civil and constitutional rights as much as they can. According to the paper, these people initiated 350 attacks in 2011.

One of the core issues with the extreme right is that while they espouse individual freedom and like to try and spread fear regarding the government’s activities, they also seem to believe in a type of authoritarianism—one of the very things they profess to loathe in government—that includes a strong resistance to authority from what they view as “outgroups,” namely blacks and women, unions, and more.

They also seem to view the Constitution as a static document, unchanging despite the way society has changed over the last 230 years, and want laws made and judges to rule based on the original intent of the document. Here’s the issue with that: When it comes to the 2nd Amendment (for example), the original intent of the amendment was to preserve slavery. The words, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State…” refer to the freedom of white men in the southern states to own slaves, and to police those slaves with their militias as they saw fit. The original intent was not to ensure the people’s freedom from a tyrannical government, which is what every gun-rights activist espouses today

Gee Danny, seems like "some professor" has you and the rest of planet wingnut pegged pretty well...
Wow.... I thought I've heard everything... Now the 2A was to preserve slavery????

I've been through our founding documents quite a bit over the years. The founders saw fit to explain themselves in the Federalist/anti-Federalist papers.

If you have some historical proof to support your position, I'd like to see it.

Here is what Hamilton said about the 2nd Amendment in Federalist # 29:
Quote:
"To oblige the great body of the yeomanry, and of the other classes of the citizens, to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well-regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people, and a serious public inconvenience and loss."
Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Drifter of threads

TKanaley wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
Wow.... I thought I've heard everything... Now the 2A was to preserve slavery????

I've been through our founding documents quite a bit over the years. The founders saw fit to explain themselves in the Federalist/anti-Federalist papers.

If you have some historical proof to support your position, I'd like to see it.

Here is what Hamilton said about the 2nd Amendment in Federalist # 29:
He doesn't need any stinking proof. A tenured, libtard professor says it's so, so that it must be...
TKanaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 XBones View Post

They also seem to view the Constitution as a static document, unchanging despite the way society has changed over the last 230 years, and want laws made and judges to rule based on the original intent of the document. Here’s the issue with that: When it comes to the 2nd Amendment (for example), the original intent of the amendment was to preserve slavery. The words, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State…refer to the freedom of white men in the southern states to own slaves, and to police those slaves with their militias as they saw fit. The original intent was not to ensure the people’s freedom from a tyrannical government, which is what every gun-rights activist espouses today
If you really believe in the above statements; I have great reservations about your sanity.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.