Good intention gone awry : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

guydoc77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good intention gone awry

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...tcmp=obnetwork

Another dirty little secret about the cost/benefit of good intentions and the resultant programs that come out of government.

Even about a third the way through the article my guess was that the proposed solution to this would be still more money. Sure enough.

It's such a GREAT idea. It can't not work. It has to work. How can it not be working? And.....IT'S FOR THE.....CHILDREN! THE CHILDREN! We need to throw more money at it. And so it goes....
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
R&R Stage 3 heads, .030 gasket, 82cc chambers
Trued, welded, and balanced crank by Hyperformance
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
Supermeg with open cap and 15 discs
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
Aspen White (got it for my wife)
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!

Last edited by guydoc77; 01-18-2013 at 12:24 PM.
guydoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by guydoc77 View Post

Another dirty little secret about the cost/benefit of good intentions and the resultant programs that come out of government.

Even about a third the way through the article my guess was that the proposed solution to this would be still more money. Sure enough.

It's such a GREAT idea. It can't not work. It has to work. How can it not be working? And.....IT'S FOR THE.....CHILDREN! THE CHILDREN! We need to throw more money at it. And so it goes....
I'll be watching the network news tonight. I am sure they will all be reporting on this. Probably do a big expose' on 60 Minutes this weekend.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Drifter of threads

TKanaley wants to know Dino or Syn?
I read the article and agree with your post. The problem is, it's a Fox News article, which pretty much guarantees that the detractors on this forum will want to blow it off as nothing more than rightwing propaganda.
TKanaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKanaley View Post
I read the article and agree with your post. The problem is, it's a Fox News article, which pretty much guarantees that the detractors on this forum will want to blow it off as nothing more than rightwing propaganda.
I considered that before I started the thread.
I realize only certain "facts" are allowed by certain people.
Other undesirable facts are either denied or their originator is smeared so as to make the originator lose credibility.
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
I read the article and agree with your post. The problem is, it's a Fox News article, which pretty much guarantees that the detractors on this forum will want to blow it off as nothing more than rightwingNUT propaganda.
I fixed it for ya. Might as well get that in there now before Bones shows up.

I agree with the "chopping block" assessment myself BTW.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I Googled "Head Start Impact Study" and got the report and little else. I searched MSNBC, CNN and the three networks and found nothing. I used the same search criteria I used for Google on each site. I even searched on Fox News to see if there was something wrong with my search but got the story on Fox News. Below I have posted a summary of the report and for those with a lot whole lot of time on their hands and nothing better to do, the full report.

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default...ve_summary.pdf

http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED507845.pdf
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

09 XBones wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by guydoc77 View Post

Lindsey M. Burke is the Will Skillman Fellow in education policy at the Heritage Foundation.

Wow... as we all know, nothing but good comes from the Heritage Foundation. After all, the Koch brothers want nothing more than what's best for middle class America...
09 XBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

09 XBones wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post

I agree with the "chopping block" assessment myself BTW.
I would haave gone with rightwing nutjob but hey, at least we're in the same chapter if not on the same page...
09 XBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 XBones View Post
Lindsey M. Burke is the Will Skillman Fellow in education policy at the Heritage Foundation.

Wow... as we all know, nothing but good comes from the Heritage Foundation. After all, the Koch brothers want nothing more than what's best for middle class America...
Hey Bones, How about addressing the story rather than the source. Anything in the story you care to dispute? I have provided the reports for you.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrvp View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I Googled "Head Start Impact Study" and got the report and little else. I searched MSNBC, CNN and the three networks and found nothing. I used the same search criteria I used for Google on each site. I even searched on Fox News to see if there was something wrong with my search but got the story on Fox News. Below I have posted a summary of the report and for those with a lot whole lot of time on their hands and nothing better to do, the full report.

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default...ve_summary.pdf

http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED507845.pdf
Whoa! Who's avatar is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 XBones View Post
I would haave gone with rightwing nutjob but hey, at least we're in the same chapter if not on the same page...

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

We know XBones, Democrat (Union) good, Republican bad.
The facts in the report itself are irrelevant to you. We get that.
Carry on.
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

WEINERDOGBONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Before I get involved in reading that whole report, does the report offer any reasons as to why Head Start is ineffective? It seems counterintuitive doesn't it?

I wonder if it's just too difficult to counter bad parenting or what.
WEINERDOGBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEINERDOGBONE View Post
Before I get involved in reading that whole report, does the report offer any reasons as to why Head Start is ineffective? It seems counterintuitive doesn't it?

I wonder if it's just too difficult to counter bad parenting or what.
I would contend that, we promote bad parenting by taking the responsibility away from the parent and holding the public accountable for the proper rearing of the child. All these government programs have good intentions, but I see more and more that people expect someone else to raise their child, and cry foul when someone else did not properly do the job that they should have been doing their-self in the first place.

Parenting takes effort, sacrifice and fortitude.

If you don't have or are not willing to do the above, don't have children. It is not my responsibility to raise your children, don't dump your short comings on the rest of society. At the very least you should be expected to be the major player in this endeavor.

Last edited by Nitram_b4; 01-19-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitram_b4 View Post
I would contend that, we promote bad parenting by taking the responsibility away from the parent and holding the public accountable for the proper rearing of the child. All these government programs have good intentions, but I see more and more that people expect someone else to raise their child, and cry foul when someone else did not properly do the job that they should have been doing their-self in the first place.

Parenting takes effort, sacrifice and fortitude.

If you don't have or are not willing to do the above, don't have children. It is not my responsibility to raise your children, don't dump your short comings on the rest of society. At the very least you should be expected to be the major player in this endeavor.
It takes a village.

Until you try to tell someone else's kid what to do or admonish them for poor behavior then it's 'don't tell my kid what to do' or 'it's none of your business what my kid does'.
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement