Nativity scene "unfair" : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Kool-Aid wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nativity scene "unfair"

Oskaloosa IA. Local resident requested removal of the nativity scene from the local town square. She sited "unfairness" to miniortiy religions, such as the Muslim and Hindu families.

The manger was removed the next day. After a city council vote, the nativity scene was returned, along with a secular representation.

Merry Christmas to one and all!
Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Is this post intended to start another discussion of the so called "war" on Christmas?
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cajun Peauxseur

BigD is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
Is this post intended to start another discussion of the so called "war" on Christmas?
"so called"? Really?

Michael, surely you can recognize there is all out contempt for anything "Christian" or "Conservative" or for that matter, 'White" these days. I pick on the "white" thing because of the current everything is "racist" commentary and the uproar over the slave movie (sorry, it's name escapes me).

Social issues are a funny, cyclical thing. It's much like a pendulum on a clock. It swings hard conservative, then it swings hard liberal. The time inbetween could be considered the "moderate" cycle.

Clearly, this is the hard liberal swing on the pendulum. Tick, tock.
2014 FLHTCUI "Black Betty" My black mistress!

"Baggers - they're not just for Paw-paws anymore"

My new year resolution: RIDE MORE!!!
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Kool-Aid wants to know Dino or Syn?
MP-
Nope.
Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

spdrcr137 wants to know Dino or Syn?
We really need to stop worrying about hurting everyones feelings.
spdrcr137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

LoneEagle964 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr137 View Post
to much worry about who it offends , let each place do as they want and if you do not like it the DO NOT LOOK !!
LoneEagle964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I wonder if you have thought this through. There are a number of people and groups who don't like Christianity and would welcome the opportunity to put up on public property displays that are extremely offensive to Christians and others. Are you really ok with seeing anti Christian displays right along with Christian displays at Christmas time on public property? Those groups want to intentionally hurt the feelings of Christians at Christmas time. They don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings either.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

SAFXDL is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Right!!!! A old Col in a training I was in said "Son, sometimes you just gotta tell them the baby's ugly"....I still hold those words true to this very day.

Proud Parent of a Son serving his country

'08 FLHPI, 103, SERT, Fatcat 2/1 Black, Reckless Fairing w/tunes.

SAFXDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Michael, this country was founded with christianity at its core. People are looking for a reason to be offended. I live not to very far from This town and I can tell you who ever felt offended is such a small minority it really shouldnt even hit the radar. And keep in mind society majority is still the prevailing norm. Just because one person in town likes screwing chickens doesnt mean it isnt wrong. But what do I know im just some right wing nut job that works for a living.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cajun Peauxseur

Michael, Spdrcr137 hit it on the head. This country was founded with Christianity at it's core.

I do not believe that "Freedom of religion" was designed to put an end to religion, but to guarantee tolerance for "other" (read that non-christian) religions.

I also believe that "seperation of church and state" meant the Government could not also be the "church"; as in the Church of England, presided by the King. It also was not envisioned as a tool to remove basic religious principles from government as it has been used by the ACLU, et al.

I invite you to try to go to the middle east and complain that 5:00 prayer is offensive to you and demand that it be stopped in public places. RIP.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cajun Peauxseur

Kool-Aid, I have a question. What does a "secular" representation of CHRISTmas look like? Do they actually call it a Christmas display?

Old 12-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks Big D exactly my take on seperation of church and state. Big D shhhhhh you slipped and used the Christmas word lol
Old 12-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Michael, Spdrcr137 hit it on the head. This country was founded with Christianity at it's core.

I do not believe that "Freedom of religion" was designed to put an end to religion, but to guarantee tolerance for "other" (read that non-christian) religions.

I also believe that "seperation of church and state" meant the Government could not also be the "church"; as in the Church of England, presided by the King. It also was not envisioned as a tool to remove basic religious principles from government as it has been used by the ACLU, et al.

I invite you to try to go to the middle east and complain that 5:00 prayer is offensive to you and demand that it be stopped in public places. RIP.

To be clear, I never said those scenes were offensive to me, nor do I have an objection to them. I do believe however if one starts giving equal time to all "religions" to put on holiday displays on public property, some are going to be intentionally and extremely offensive to Christians and other. This is the door that is being opened. Can you imagine what some members of the Church of Satan (which is a recognized religion) might want to put up near a nativity scene? I don't want to think about it or the violence that might ensue on both sides.

There is an interesting opinion piece today in the New York Times of the War on Christmas fought by our Puritan forefathers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/op...christmas.html
Old 12-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this? DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Saw the entire Handel's Messiah today performed by the local High School Chorus..at the High School no less.

Hangings to start at dawn.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
The "so called " war on Christmas is BS yet a good portion of our population bought into and continue to buy into the wars on women, the poor, blacks, yellows, browns, Latinos, gays, bi's, tyrannies????? Trannies? ???...vegans, meat eaters, clean air, carpet eaters, clean water, sick kids, sick elderly folk, the earth, the moon, puppies,the oceans, etc, etc, etc.
That chit helped reelect an incompetent fool, but, lets not get out of hand with this "so called" war on Christmas or Christianity.

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement