Are people losing all compassion for human life - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #46 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I saw a young man of 20 get hit by a speeding freight train many years ago and he was dead before he hit the ground. He was not paying attention crossing the RR tracks on a BMX bike wearing a walkman w/ headphones. Paid for that mistake with his life. And yes, seeing something like that is something that never leaves you. And it was way past basic gore, nothing one would ever get used to seeing. I think todays kids ARE desensitized by video games, the news and movies to a lesser degree, but seeing real tragedy and death still would likely have a profound effect on anyone who witnessed one.
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

09 XBones wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequila SG View Post
That is always something I've thought about for years, if you look at attraction parks like Disney, you are held back from the platform till the train arrives, once it stops the multiple doors open and you can walk on to the platform and board, and people arriving step out the other side and the operation is smooth.
Because it's automated, computerized, and their trains aren't 14 cars long with others waiting right behind. To allow for a system you describe a subway train would first have to slow down to a controlled crawl as it lines up with the platform gates and comes to a precise, soft stop, much like a gas pump must slow down to a trickle in order to deliver exactly the $100.00 you asked for, not $100.02 or $99.99.

In Manhattan there's a station at 34th, 28th, 23rd, 18th, 14th... add the time that "line-up-perfectly-crawl" adds to each stop and pretty soon you're talking systemwide delays.
09 XBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bdBagr View Post
I saw a young man of 20 get hit by a speeding freight train many years ago and he was dead before he hit the ground. He was not paying attention crossing the RR tracks on a BMX bike wearing a walkman w/ headphones. Paid for that mistake with his life. And yes, seeing something like that is something that never leaves you. And it was way past basic gore, nothing one would ever get used to seeing. I think todays kids ARE desensitized by video games, the news and movies to a lesser degree, but seeing real tragedy and death still would likely have a profound effect on anyone who witnessed one.
Tim
It's the locomotive that kills you. The rest of the train just chops you up into little pieces.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #49 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 XBones View Post
It's the locomotive that kills you. The rest of the train just chops you up into little pieces.
This is true. Impacting a 60 MPH Locomotive plays hell on limping away from that. Kid got hit, bounced 25 feet, shoes marking spot, then bounced again, very very dead and unrecognizable as a person. Took off the bicycles' front wheel and his life at the point of impact. I'll never forget that.
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #50 (permalink)
IronButt

Tequila SG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Because it's automated, computerized, and their trains aren't 14 cars long with others waiting right behind. To allow for a system you describe a subway train would first have to slow down to a controlled crawl as it lines up with the platform gates and comes to a precise, soft stop, much like a gas pump must slow down to a trickle in order to deliver exactly the $100.00 you asked for, not $100.02 or $99.99.

In Manhattan there's a station at 34th, 28th, 23rd, 18th, 14th... add the time that "line-up-perfectly-crawl" adds to each stop and pretty soon you're talking systemwide delays.
So we are back to square one, is all about dollars, Disney has it in place to avoid tragedy aka a law suit, Manhattan transit does not because it causes delays aka revenue, what is the price of a human life, why are they so worried about us wearing helmets, worried about head injuries or are they just protecting the insurance companies, the man cared more about selling the photo, is all the same, money VS human life, no one gives a chit about people, is no longer about compassion.

Tequila SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #51 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I have not been following this topic. Now that I've gone and taken a look, yes, Shaw_2112 is being particularly offensive. You probably won't believe me but I have both sympathy and compassion for him and others who make those kinds of statements. I am fairly certain anyone who could make some of those statements that Shaw_2112 made is suffering in his relationships because of it, But I don't expect you or Shaw_2112 to agree or even to understand how that happens. No one gets away with anything. Everything has consequences.
Yes professor or should I call you grass hopper, MP what makes you presume that everyone here has no education or has no knowledge on human topics but you, how do you know me except for our occasional disagreement and total different views on morality, it doesn't make us ignorant or uneducated MP,or failures in our relationships, we just disagree. We are all in this cyber world and we express ideas freely, you have no idea other than I ride a HD and have posted I was a law man what my education or background is in the real world, you might be surprise, just saying...

Old 12-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
So we are back to square one, is all about dollars, Disney has it in place to avoid tragedy aka a law suit, Manhattan transit does not because it causes delays aka revenue,
Delays AKA delays - this isn't about money it's about logistics. Human logistics. Cannot move a city around efficiently AND be 100% safe. People get hit by cars and trucks too, doesn't mean they should lower the speed limit to 5 MPH because "If it saves one human life it's all worth it." It isn't worth it.

Quote:
what is the price of a human life, why are they so worried about us wearing helmets, worried about head injuries or are they just protecting the insurance companies,
Look, w/o a helmet just about EVERY mcy accident is going to result in a head injury.

Quote:
the man cared more about selling the photo, is all the same, money VS human life, no one gives a chit about people, is no longer about compassion.
I'm not defending him, just keep in mind he wasn't the ONLY person there.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Yes professor or should I call you grass hopper, MP what makes you presume that everyone here has no education or has no knowledge on human topics but you, how do you know me except for our occasional disagreement and total different views on morality, it doesn't make us ignorant or uneducated MP,or failures in our relationships, we just disagree. We are all in this cyber world and we express ideas freely, you have no idea other than I ride a HD and have posted I was a law man what my education or background is in the real world, you might be surprise, just saying...
The way people treat others here is the way they treat others in real life. No one changes their basic nature just because they are on the Internet. If someone is verbally abusive or disparaging here, it is almost certain that they are verbally abusive or disparaging in real life, and that affects their relationships negatively. I do not think it is a matter of education. I can see a lot of abusive posters here are quite bright intellectually. It is a matter of how they respond to others with whom they disagree.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #54 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
The way people treat others here is the way they treat others in real life. No one changes their basic nature just because they are on the Internet. If someone is verbally abusive or disparaging here, it is almost certain that they are verbally abusive or disparaging in real life, and that affects their relationships negatively. I do not think it is a matter of education. I can see a lot of abusive posters here are quite bright intellectually. It is a matter of how they respond to others with whom they disagree.
MP you're totally wrong, is a proven facts people are way more aggressive in how they express them self in a cyber situation than in real life for one simple reason, there are no repercussions, in the cyber environment people express them self totally different.
In this make believe world there is no rejection, there is no face to face interaction, you don't see peoples feelings, emotions are not important, because there are no consequences other than you get laugh at or a cyber insult by way of a smily and at worst getting banned if you over step the rules.
As much as people here get on others nerves over politics I bet you 1000 to 1 that in a live setting they are not as hard core getting their ideas across.

Last edited by Tequila SG; 12-11-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #55 (permalink)
IronButt

Shaw_2112 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, I have not been following this topic. Now that I've gone and taken a look, yes, Shaw_2112 is being particularly offensive. You probably won't believe me but I have both sympathy and compassion for him and others who make those kinds of statements. I am fairly certain anyone who could make some of those statements that Shaw_2112 made is suffering in his relationships because of it, But I don't expect you or Shaw_2112 to agree or even to understand how that happens. No one gets away with anything. Everything has consequences.
funny thing is, I pulled that straight from the Communist Agenda, I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but I wasn't going to censor it to assuage anyone's sensibilities. The truth is a lot of what they want to accomplish has come, or is coming, to pass. The LGBT community is just an unwitting accomplice...

And BTW I'm doing just fine in my relationships, but thanks for being concerned..
Old 12-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #56 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:

You don't need the precise stop line up, I know what you're referring too, the public can be kept 8 ft away from the track, once the train stops, multiple gates open people can walk to what ever door they choose, but is a matter of money, it costs money to build that system, is just much more cost effective to pick up a body now and then from the tracks.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #57 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
You don't need the precise stop line up, I know what you're referring too, the public can be kept 8 ft away from the track, once the train stops, multiple gates open people can walk to what ever door they choose, but is a matter of money, it costs money to build that system, is just much more cost effective to pick up a body now and then from the tracks.
The only reason it is a waste of money is because people, in general, are not capable of following a system like that. You would think driving on public roads would be pretty simple too, look how many people can't follow that "system".

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #58 (permalink)
IronButt

Sorry G if it saves ONE life is not a waste of money.
That's exactly what I mean about loosing compassion,is all about money. We have put a price on life.

Last edited by Tequila SG; 12-13-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #59 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Sorry G if it saves ONE life is not a waste of money.
I agree that money is "over-valued" in our world, but my point is that sometimes you just can't save people from themselves. No matter how idiot-proof you might think something is, there will always be someone to come along and prove you wrong. Trust me on this one.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #60 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
I agree that money is "over-valued" in our world, but my point is that sometimes you just can't save people from themselves. No matter how idiot-proof you might think something is, there will always be someone to come along and prove you wrong. Trust me on this one.
OH!!! I agree on that...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement