Michigan Right 2 Work law - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

spdrcr137 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Amen jammer. I looked it up and I can tell you ive never seen anyone smoke regular tobacco from a one hitter, Just sayin
spdrcr137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

09 XBones wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer45u View Post
I'm not all that up on getting these plastic machines to do what I want. If you really want to see video on this subject just google "video of chrysler workers drinking on the job". You can see the whole story.

Defending actions like that are what is chasing business away from union shops. In a perfect situation the company shouldn't have to fire anyone, the union should do it. Why would employees honestly trying to move a company forward, or as in this case at the very least, trying to keep it alive, defend behavior counter productive to that goal.

I understand union action to protect honest employees from over zealous company discipline. That's one thing, but come on. Seriously. Take the time to look at the video clip and honestly tell me those guys were drinking gatorade and smoking Lucky Strikes.

If your request for video tape is to see film of poor workmanship or unsafe actions from those individuals after their little work day party forget it.

Although I have to admit, they handled equipment pretty good, just check out the way they loaded up and left that lot when the reporter approached them.

Naw, they weren't doing anything wrong, just in a hurry to get back on the job.
No Jammer, I don't think they were smoking Lucky Strikes or drinking Gatorade. ANd I did see the News footage.

But I do think no employee, union or not, should be fired because a news crew took clandestine video of employees on break for some sensational journalism.

I do think that Chrysler, in conjunction and cooperation with the UAW, has a drug policy in the workplace which specfically outlines what the employer (and employee) may or may not do. Employees who test positive for drugs or alcohol are probably first referred to an in or outpatient treatment facility, with subsequent tests to ensure compliance, and second incident = termination.

For sure, "Embarassing news footage" is not part of the collective bargaining agreement and therefore, those workers got their jobs back, plus back pay, plus the payment of any equity they lost in any of their property which may have been lost dut to the unlawful termination, plus back pension credits and their seniority.

Of course, the next time Chrysler and the UAW sit down, there may be some tweaks to their official drug policy, but as it stands now - Chrysler is in the wrong.

Oh, and not for nothing, but I doubt drinking a 40 and smoking a joint is going to cause Grand Cherokees to go careening off America's highways. Assembly line jobs are NOT brain surgery and to be honest, bolting a seat in day in and day out it's a wonder they're not all on drugs.
09 XBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

thrasher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 XBones View Post
Oh, and not for nothing, but I doubt drinking a 40 and smoking a joint is going to cause Grand Cherokees to go careening off America's highways. Assembly line jobs are NOT brain surgery and to be honest, bolting a seat in day in and day out it's a wonder they're not all on drugs.
Working on a drilling rig is not brain surgery either, but you can get yourself and/or others killed if you don't watch what you're doing. Its not for nothing that oil companies enforce a zero tolerance policy for drugs and alcohol on location.

thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Premium Member

claytp1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
[/i]

Hmmm... and what's wrong with a union charging dues to pay it's expenses?

Nothing wrong with that unless the guy paying the union dues didn't want to be in the union in the first place.

Because a "right to work" law doesn't give anybody any right to work.
Of course not, it only gives the employee the right to work without being compelled to join the union and pay dues to do so.

But you knew that didn't ya?
claytp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this? DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this?
It was signed into law today, It's the law...let the blood spill.

Hopefully NY will be next.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Thomas Sowell

He is a syndicated columnist. He wrote an EXCELLENT article a couple weeks ago. This article (in my humble opinion) hits the nail on the head about this very subject.
Normally I would not drop a link about an article. But, since it hits at the heart of this subject, I offer it for your reading pleasure:

http://www.creators.com/opinion/thom...the-goose.html

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

pigrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Lets see, since the heydays of the 60's unions have "grown" from representing almost 40% of the workers in America (when mom could stay home, and most of America was not struggling, had pensions, health care, and workplace safety... to now only representing less than 12% of all American workers. Wow that's some monster there pigrider... and lets see now Americans are expected to hold over 20 jobs in their lifetimes, spend 20% of it unemployed, have no guaranteed pensions, and until just recently health care for the employer was going the way of the dodo bird.

See any pattern there pig?

Just what a corporate shill would say.

Unions aren't in a position to dictate anything to a company. They're only in a position to bargain and or enforce existing contracts.

None of them would be. Because the only thing that keeps wages high is the presense of unions or the threat of unionization. United you bargain, divided you beg.

Think that's done more by unions or in a nonunion enviroment?

Unfortunately, pensions are not earned concurrently. I myself will retire with 5 pensions, but participate in each one only as long as I worked within that particular division. If I'm ever elected to union office and become a paid officer, I will collect another pension, but the cash vale is no more than If I didn't become a union officer and simply remained where I'm at presently.

But it does sound more dastardly to claim union officers collect 3,4 & 5 pensions as if a "pension" was some set amount and they get 5 of them...

I beg to differ.

So, let's have a government without a president, congress or the supreme court because you don't have a problem with government, just polititians...
Keep looking thru you're rose colored glasses & everything will be allright. Ya see,I'm a retired union worker, worked for the same company for 36 years, yeah I'm thankful for my pension however my retirees insurance doesn't include eyecare or dental, and doesn't cover any innoculations, & is only good till i'm 65 & then I'll be dumpedon medicare, & oh by the way I have to buy my insurance out of my pension check. In 36 years I can't even begin to count all the good paying grievances that were traded to keep someone elses job, the one I never will forget is this one guy was fired 6 times because he wouldn't come to work, all the while guys that had good grievances were getting screwed to keep this guys job. The 7th time they fired him was because he called in and said he couldn"t find his other shoe so he couldn't come to work. No they can't dictate where a company goes but they sure try, just ask Boeing. For 36 years every election I'd get this thing in the mail telling me whoI should vote for, yeah, you guessed right it was 98% democrate, I'm registered as non affilated, I vote for who I think will do the better job, not because they're democrate or republican. Unions ain't all bad, but they have alot of problems. If unions are all that how come they have lost 28% of they're membership?
pigrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this? DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBob View Post
He is a syndicated columnist. He wrote an EXCELLENT article a couple weeks ago. This article (in my humble opinion) hits the nail on the head about this very subject.
Normally I would not drop a link about an article. But, since it hits at the heart of this subject, I offer it for your reading pleasure:

He's a hater.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: A Little South of Sanity...A Little North of Reality...
Peacekeeper wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer45u View Post
A couple of years ago a group of UAW employees from Chrysler Jefferson North were filmed during their lunch break at a park near the plant. For 10 consecutive working days a local news team observed this group hanging in the park, smoking funny little cigarettes and drinking from brown paper bags. Then going back into the plant to work the rest of their shift.

Apparently someone they worked with on the line called attention to what was happening because they didn't feel safe working with these guys their "lunch".
I bet these guys are the ones who built my POS Dodge Ram, would explain a lot.

Never Forget 10/23/1983
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

Shaw_2112 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBob View Post

you'd think it would be obvious...
Old 12-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

HDizzle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Is that why are Harleys are all jacked up?
HDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
IMO, this is looong overdue. Eons ago, I sure as hell didn't like being forced to join and pay dues - and it was obvious the UAW's interest had little to do with rank-and-file and a whole lot to do with money, perks for union leaders and corrupution.

Seemed to me then I should have had a choice. If the union listened to me and helped me - then great, I'd have paid up with a smile. Being forced to never sat well with me.

After all the union boys settle down, long term this is good for Michigan and everybody in it. Maybe even the union. Now instead of being compelled to pay dues, workers can opt in or out. That's all the law does.

Many will stay and many will leave. IMO, the union has the opportunity to make itself valuable to both employees and employers. If it's valuable, workers will sign up gladly and employers will line up to set up operations in Michigan.

I'm not holding my breath. Between the thugs running them and the dem pols benefiting from the money they get - there will be a lot of moaning for a long time.

FWIW, I've kept in touch with some of my old buds who are still UAW and privately many more than you'd think are glad. There are a lot of union guys who do not support the issues or lib pols the unions are in bed with - and the rank-and-file has never had a say in where the clout goes or who the union endorses.

What's also missed in the news is that in the recent election the UAW tried to push through a proposal to change the MI constitution so that the unions were enshrined. They put a lot of money and misleading advertising behind the effort - and it failed.

This PO'd the opposition and galvanized them to move forward with an equal effort for right to work. So twice in the span of 2 months, the UAW got spanked and "the people" won. That my friends, is unprecedented.
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.

Last edited by FXDRYDR; 12-12-2012 at 07:53 AM.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

boston62 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw_2112 View Post
Making MI a right to work state is going to have a serious impact on the revenue the Democrats take in from the Unions. It's going to be interesting to see how the power balance shifts in the next few years.

I grew up in the Bay City/Saginaw area, you'd be amazed at the kind of mafia control the Unions have over business there. Michigan is the poster child for Union failure.
I don't know why they didn't make them an offer they couldn't refuse.
boston62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

boston62 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am a Union worker, I once worked in a nonunion hydraulic shop in VA, I was just hired as a certified welder, well after 3 months, I seen them laid off a man who was there for 15 years, I took his job, he couldn't weld. If it was Union that wouldn't have happened with out a fight.
I worked in Florida, which is right to work state, you don't have to join the Union, but when they start getting rid of people don't look for any help...
boston62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement