Helmet Laws in Obamacare? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

95 FXST wants to know Dino or Syn?
Helmet Laws in Obamacare?

Just thinking out loud as I haven't read the 3,000 pages and I'm sure none of you have either. But, with the insurance mandate, I'm wondering if Obamacare will put restrictions on "risky" behavior, one being riding a motorcycle unprotected. Hmmm
95 FXST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thats a really good question. I never thought about like that but it does seem like logical, from the pro OBcare point o view. I hope it isn't the case. Seems like something the IPAB, is that the right acronym? ??, would address, along with all kinds of other for our own good demands by the ruling class of Obots.

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

thrasher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 FXST View Post
Just thinking out loud as I haven't read the 3,000 pages and I'm sure none of you have either. But, with the insurance mandate, I'm wondering if Obamacare will put restrictions on "risky" behavior, one being riding a motorcycle unprotected. Hmmm
Doubtful, but it's an excellent rightwingnut conspiracy theory. It should fit right in and be well adopted by all the rabid rightwingnuts around here. Kind of like the whole birthing thing.

thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

spdrcr137 wants to know Dino or Syn?
ask Nancy, im sure she read it.
spdrcr137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this? DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Doesn't matter whether there is or not...either way you're branded a "wingnut" for even thinking it "out loud." I think I made the same point 4-yrs ago and earned the official "propaganda-in-chief award."

So, quit being such a hater, it's all for your own good either way it goes down.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

HiAngle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I suppose one could look at Medicare. Are those on Medicare required to wear one? From what I see, the answer is no...... or people simply don't care...or it's not enforced. Secondly, and maybe I missed something, is Obamacare eliminating companies like Blue Cross? I'm not aware of that. If not, why would it mandate such a law?

The King puts the balls where the Queen wants them.
HiAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAngle View Post
I suppose one could look at Medicare. Are those on Medicare required to wear one? From what I see, the answer is no...... or people simply don't care...or it's not enforced. Secondly, and maybe I missed something, is Obamacare eliminating companies like Blue Cross? I'm not aware of that. If not, why would it mandate such a law?
I think medicare dollars spent on head injuries while not wearing a helmet in a motorcycle accident is somewhat less than a drop in the proverbial bucket. Insurance companies have tried this in the past. In any case the man was just wondering out loud. It could be something to think about. After all this administration wants to look after our every need cradle to grave. They don't believe we are capable of thinking or caring for ourselves.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!

Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Any predjuices against motorcyclists that insurance companies may have has been ruled unconstitutional. They can NOT deny, raise or drop your premium because you ride a bike. Forcing you to wear a helmet falls under this proviso.

The IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) did a study a few years back to prove that UNhelmeted motorcyclists cost the insurance industry an exhorbinate amount of money. Guess what? Their own study found that this was not true. They actually told the insurance companies to back off that tactic.

Stop worrying about O'care. Ride your bike!!!!

I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Altered States

Waffen is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
Any predjuices against motorcyclists that insurance companies may have has been ruled unconstitutional. They can NOT deny, raise or drop your premium because you ride a bike. Forcing you to wear a helmet falls under this proviso.

The IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) did a study a few years back to prove that UNhelmeted motorcyclists cost the insurance industry an exhorbinate amount of money. Guess what? Their own study found that this was not true. They actually told the insurance companies to back off that tactic.

All of which you say may be true but libs don't use truth in their equations. They don't think they just feel.

So never trust what any lib says.
Waffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)

Jakede wants to know Dino or Syn?
Facts have never got in the way of the feds trying to run our lives, or the insurance companies trying to make another buck.
Jakede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

thrasher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lightbulb

Quote:

Now there's no need to ruin a perfectly good rightwingnut conspiracy theory, although I'm sure they will find a way to keep it alive regardless.

thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

95 FXST wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
Doubtful, but it's an excellent rightwingnut conspiracy theory. It should fit right in and be well adopted by all the rabid rightwingnuts around here. Kind of like the whole birthing thing.
As I said, I was thinking out loud (on a forum) and thought it was an interesting subject.

I'm not sure if you were calling me a wingnut, but I am capable of independent thought, unlike those who use terms like "wingnut". Also, I am FOR Obamacare. I'm not for how it went down, but all in all, I am for it.
95 FXST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Actually insurance discrimination for motorcyclists is still a very real problem despite, or because of, the legislation that was passed.

http://www.themotorcyclelawyer.com/1...lated-injuries
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

boston62 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Now your talking, elections are over....Health Care is the law, just like others we have.
boston62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 FXST View Post
As I said, I was thinking out loud (on a forum) and thought it was an interesting subject.

I'm not sure if you were calling me a wingnut, but I am capable of independent thought, unlike those who use terms like "wingnut". Also, I am FOR Obamacare. I'm not for how it went down, but all in all, I am for it.
Some just have to be the forum jester, they can't help it. Rather than intelligent conversation, spiteful comments rule the day spiced with smilies.

On the subject, I tried reading the law but I just don't have the attention span to get through more than a few pages at a time. They may as well write these things in a foreign language. I would not be surprised if other restrictions and regulations are given birth in the name of this law. From my understanding, the law laid the groundwork for additional rules and regulations not currently in place.
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement