Breaking up with Norquist - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #46 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
Poor ass management did that....
That may be but the problem of SS and Medicare spending more than they take in is still a fact and must be fixed. The problem with waste and poor management are not exclusive to government but are common none the less. That's why say again, "The more programs and power they have, the more corruption and waste we get."
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #47 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this? James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Were leaving there in 2014
Maybe...maybe not.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #48 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this? James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
It doesn't belong to us to begin with...Its time to get out...
I have a feeling you have limited experience in dealing with Al Qaeda. Don't you think they would love to get their training ground back and have the vast resources of Afghanistan to fund their little war? I know if I was their leader getting control of it would make some sense. It would be a lot nicer than being on the run all the time. I am a diesel mechanic so what do I know?
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #49 (permalink)
IronButt

thrasher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Combat terrorism? What against us? In another Country, that only allows us there because of the aid in dollars we provide.

No its time to leave period.... let's start taking care of the good old U.S.A.
We'll probably never completely leave. We should lease a military base there for 99 years. Then some of it would belong to us and we could maintain stability if there is such a thing possible..

thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #50 (permalink)
IronButt

compressor#v wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Salty View Post
Consumer payments that flow to Social Security and Medicare fall well short of paying for the programs' benefits, and the gap is getting wider each year. SS and Medicare may be "investments" but how does a program remain solvent if it pays more than it receives? The money has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is the citizens. The programs need to be reformed in some manner. More money must be paid into the programs, the benefits must be reduced or a combination of the two. Otherwise we are pushing the debt to someone else.
Yea they need reformed....stop raiding them for other than what they were intended.

And the money will be paid in, if manufacturing came back = jobs = remains solvent.
compressor#v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #51 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

HiAngle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by compressor#v View Post
"1. Cut defense spending.
."

Numbers 1, 4, 5 will get a lot accomlished. #1 needs some oversight so we're not paying $1000.00 for a toilet seat..
With respect to defense spending, I'll start off with the fact the military doesn't purposely buy $1000 toilet seats. What happens is the vendor providing the toilet seats slips a $1000 toilet seat on to the "invoice". When the DoD is buying in large quantities, it's easier to miss the illegal activities of vendors. When those charges are caught, they are corrected.

To the larger point, defense spending can be cut to the point we are willing to assume risk(s). If, as a nation, we are willing to accept less world influence, less of an ability to protect others (ex:Israel), defend against terrorist attacks, then by all means, gut the budget. But don't piss and moan when something bad happens and we can't do much about it.

The King puts the balls where the Queen wants them.
HiAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #52 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Yeah, don't piss and moan when another country has weapons of mass destruction and we can't invade them to protect our citizens. We must not cut the Dept of "Defense."
Old 11-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

Reaching again for more deep thoughts, huh?

Old 11-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #54 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAngle View Post
Reaching again for more deep thoughts, huh?
I would bitch about the amount of money we wasted in Iraq chasing gremlins but that pales in comparison to the thousands of soldiers killed and wounded over there. Not to mention, from what I read, AL-Qaeda is growing like a weed over there since we left. So tell me a nice bedtime story about the cost to protect our country from terrorist. The fact is that our country has been selling us and a hell of a lot of our soldiers a line of BS.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #55 (permalink)
IronButt

compressor#v wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
With respect to defense spending, I'll start off with the fact the military doesn't purposely buy $1000 toilet seats. What happens is the vendor providing the toilet seats slips a $1000 toilet seat on to the "invoice". When the DoD is buying in large quantities, it's easier to miss the illegal activities of vendors. When those charges are caught, they are corrected.

To the larger point, defense spending can be cut to the point we are willing to assume risk(s). If, as a nation, we are willing to accept less world influence, less of an ability to protect others (ex:Israel), defend against terrorist attacks, then by all means, gut the budget. But don't piss and moan when something bad happens and we can't do much about it.
I think you read into my post something that wasn't there. I never mentioned....to the point of taking risk, or anything about world influence.
My older brother who helped build the communications system for the Apollo moonshot in 1969, went on to work for a defense contractor. He was privy to a lot, and it always does not get "corrected". For years now we have overspent billions on nonsense in the name of defense. I only suggested oversight to reign in the nonsense. I respect your knowledge and service, but believe you mis-understood. I agree about keeping us strong, but not at the expense of programs we have paid into all our working lives, only to have a politician tell us, sorry, we spent the money...on $1000.00 toilet seats, or whatever
Disclaimer: I don't know that SS money was spent on defense, or what it was spent on, only that it's been borrowed against and not paid back. May have been a poor example. If government can reduce even some of the waste, then come and ask for us to sacrifice.

Last edited by compressor#v; 11-28-2012 at 07:13 PM.
compressor#v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #56 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

Quote:
I would bitch about the amount of money we wasted in Iraq chasing gremlins but that pales in comparison to the thousands of soldiers killed and wounded over there. Not to mention, from what I read, AL-Qaeda is growing like a weed over there since we left. So tell me a nice bedtime story about the cost to protect our country from terrorist. The fact is that our country has been selling us and a hell of a lot of our soldiers a line of BS.
All of that might be mildly interesting if I had been advocating against cutting the budget. I didn't advocate that- all I said was people who advocate cutting the budget had better be willing to to assume risks, among other things. Try reading what I said and not focusing so much on what you wish I said.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #57 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Quote:
All of that might be mildly interesting if I had been advocating against cutting the budget. I didn't advocate that- all I said was people who advocate cutting the budget had better be willing to to assume risks, among other things. Try reading what I said and not focusing so much on what you wish I said.
What's the risk? We've been hit with terrorist attacks several times. Has spending trillions of dollars kept us safe?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #58 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

How many were prevented? When was the last time we had a terrorist attack here? Who ever said we could prevent every attack?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #59 (permalink)
IronButt

thrasher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up

Quote:
What's the risk? We've been hit with terrorist attacks several times. Has spending trillions of dollars kept us safe?
FWIW, I think it has.

thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #60 (permalink)
not sober all the time

We won't prevent every attempt but I believe we would be better served if we stopped our expensive foreign conquests and concentrated on defending our borders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement