Is this a fracking joke? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Live Free or Die
 
HiAngle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NoVA
Posts: 6,639
HiAngle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Is this a fracking joke?

So who knows much about this stuff? Assuming this is all true, and I don't know enough about it to prove otherwise, is the technology and ability to deliver the product to the market available today? If so, can this impact our economy quickly- within the next couple of years?

I have visions of lawsuits slowing this down. Way, way down.


Quote:
If there's been one consistent thread running through the U.S. economic story since 2008, it's been the steady drumbeat of gloom.

Outright recession or sub-standard growth, stubbornly high unemployment and fiscal crises have been the topics du jour when it comes to the world's biggest economy.

But now an unlikely champion for U.S. growth under the Obama administration has emerged -- a former adviser to a Republican Party presidential candidate and Harvard history professor, Niall Ferguson, who says America could actually be heading toward a new economic "golden age."

And it has nothing to do with Washington and everything to do with energy.

"This is an absolutely huge phenomenon with massive implications for the U.S. economy, and I think most people are still a little bit slow to appreciate just how big this is," he said in Hong Kong this week.

"Conceivably it does mean a new golden age."


http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/23/busine...html?hpt=hp_c1
__________________


The King puts the balls where the Queen wants them.
HiAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt
 
streetg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 2,329
streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
I recently saw a documentary on fracking, this was specifically related to natural gas. It interviewed quite a few homeowners who supposedly had good well water b4 the fracking started and now they could turn on their kitchen taps, put a flame to them and light it up. I'm all for energy independence and fracking IF the freakin frackin can be done safely. This documentary highlighted 5-10 cases out of the prolly thousands of homeowners that have not had issues for all I know but it did look scary. They showed one dude who owned a farm and all his animals were losing their hair as well as just looking thin and sickly in general, supposedly from drinking the freakin frackin contaminated well water.
__________________
2007 FLHX R&R 131"

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt
 
RGRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 3,680
RGRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAngle View Post
So who knows much about this stuff? Assuming this is all true, and I don't know enough about it to prove otherwise, is the technology and ability to deliver the product to the market available today? If so, can this impact our economy quickly- within the next couple of years?

I have visions of lawsuits slowing this down. Way, way down.






http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/23/busine...html?hpt=hp_c1
Golden age. Til the Dems figure out a way to kill it and have us be the banana republic they envision.
RGRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt
 
smitty901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 1,282
smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Tell that to my friends getting laid off in Dec for a long time due to the election.
__________________
Infantry leads the way
smitty901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt
 
utrvp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 4,973
utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetg View Post
I recently saw a documentary on fracking, this was specifically related to natural gas. It interviewed quite a few homeowners who supposedly had good well water b4 the fracking started and now they could turn on their kitchen taps, put a flame to them and light it up. I'm all for energy independence and fracking IF the freakin frackin can be done safely. This documentary highlighted 5-10 cases out of the prolly thousands of homeowners that have not had issues for all I know but it did look scary. They showed one dude who owned a farm and all his animals were losing their hair as well as just looking thin and sickly in general, supposedly from drinking the freakin frackin contaminated well water.
I am neither disputing nor supporting the documentary for two reasons. The first and most important, I haven't seen it. Second it is useful to know who is behind the documentary. A well produced documentary can make any point they want and do so convincingly. Was the other sides views presented fairly and objectively. I am not suggesting this is what they did but it is not difficult to inject gas into a waterline and there could be many other reasons for sick animals that have nothing to do with fracking.
__________________
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt
 
DJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: A Country Road in Central NY
Posts: 19,434
DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this? DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Energy = Prosperity (and also mass x the speed of light squared).

Give me unlimited cheap energy and I'll give you prosperity. Is fracturing that energy? No-probably not, but in degrees? yes....
__________________
a PENNY for your thoughts
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt
 
streetg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 2,329
streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrvp View Post
I am neither disputing nor supporting the documentary for two reasons. The first and most important, I haven't seen it. Second it is useful to know who is behind the documentary. A well produced documentary can make any point they want and do so convincingly. Was the other sides views presented fairly and objectively. I am not suggesting this is what they did but it is not difficult to inject gas into a waterline and there could be many other reasons for sick animals that have nothing to do with fracking.
This Doc was absolutely made from a very GREEN point of view
I don't remember what channel it was on so I can't direct you to it. Like I said, maybe they interviewed 10 people out of a half million that had no problem, who knows. It does seem to make some sense that when they're busting rock formations thousands o feet below grade and pumping who knows what for chems in there that some weird chit can happen. They showed a Senate sub comitee questioning some energy big wigs on what the chems were in the cocktails they pump in them holes and couldn't get a straight answer. I personally hope it was just a green propaganda doc, but it did make ya think.
__________________
2007 FLHX R&R 131"

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Fourcats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Longview, Washington
Posts: 1,710
Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
"but it did look scary"...thats what they count on. If the admin wasn't heading us to obieville they could be backing manufactures of purification systems for ill effected areas {maybe even solar/wind powered systems}
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
 
Fred1369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 13,520
Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Wait till other countries start doing their own gas exploration with fracking.
BTW, that Keystone pipeline we all wanted to help make the USA oil independent ... that oil is not for us. It is Canuck oil to be refined in Texas and then exported to whomever wants it. But it is not for us.

Are workers in the fracking areas allowed to smoke?
__________________


Masturbating while watching porn is like nibbling on crackers while watching people at an all you can eat buffet.
Fred1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: nanton ab.
Posts: 5
rig hand wants to know Dino or Syn?
i work in the field . i think we need to think less that fracing is bad , and concentrate more on bad cementing jobs . much of the sub - surface has natural voids and fishers in it . that canrun into an aquafir to create that problem naturally . if a guy bitches enough there might be a free water well in it for him . right now all the major players in the biz are spending billions to make fracing greener . in the old day's , you dont want to know the stuff they pumped down hole........
rig hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt
 
WEINERDOGBONE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CENTRAL INDIANA
Posts: 3,213
WEINERDOGBONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
It sounds pretty good but I've also read some stuff written by "experts" that believe the current economy is the new normal.

Time will tell I guess.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/is-...he-new-normal/
WEINERDOGBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
RK05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Zincinnasty,Ohio
Posts: 1,350
RK05 wants to know Dino or Syn?
We have some land in South Eastern Kentucky that we want to sell off the coal rights for so hopefully this makes its way there.
__________________
05' FLHRI
95", 9.8:1 W/Heads by BigBoyz, 37G's, Arlen Ness A/C, PC USB, Supertrapp Supermeg 10-disc open cap
RK05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt
 
RGRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 3,680
RGRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK05 View Post
We have some land in South Eastern Kentucky that we want to sell off the coal rights for so hopefully this makes its way there.
Coal is dead. Obama said so.
RGRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
 
Fred1369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 13,520
Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
your utility costs will skyrocket:

__________________


Masturbating while watching porn is like nibbling on crackers while watching people at an all you can eat buffet.
Fred1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,840
webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rig hand View Post
i work in the field . i think we need to think less that fracing is bad , and concentrate more on bad cementing jobs . much of the sub - surface has natural voids and fishers in it . that canrun into an aquafir to create that problem naturally . if a guy bitches enough there might be a free water well in it for him . right now all the major players in the biz are spending billions to make fracing greener . in the old day's , you dont want to know the stuff they pumped down hole........
Let us assume that surface casing is set correctly to depth and bonding is 100%, intermediate is set and 100% bonded to surface and formation, long string is set and bonded to intermediate and formation. Now for the question; I'd like to know how the free gas is making it's way above the cap rock in your example??? If it was not free flowing before drilling and before frac'ing, how can it be now????



webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
(C)2001-2012 V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved (C)2001- V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum