Book Club taxes - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #31 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is still riding a stock bike DJW is still riding a stock bike
I believe the OP is trying to make a political statement through the use of a metaphor about the "fairness" of a Church being exempt from taxes. A rather clever one at that - and, IMO, the OP makes a good point.

Here is my counter point: Life ain't "fair." This Country was founded a religious tradition which is at the core of her cultural fabric. Religious tax exemption was intended to make the exercise of that tradition "fair," by making sure it was protected from government coercion. The idea that our Country would lose it's fundamental religious underpinnings was never a consideration. - until now...

But be patient, that cultural fabric began to tear decades ago and is now nearly gone. Barring a tragic event that suddenly stops the rending of our religious cultural heritage, it will all be gone before the next generation passes away. Then, as happened in Western Europe in the 15th century, and in East Asia and Russia in the past century, the government will simply seize the Church's assets and "redistribute the wealth" to it's preferred classes. All will be equal...except of course, some will be more equal than others.
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #32 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
There is no difference, but many people believe that the big book of fiction is some big fact book that makes them special.

Religious institution should be taxes, just like any other business.
Like these? They should stop their charities and start bribing politicians. They might get a negative tax rate like energy companies and defense contractors. http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012...es-politicians
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #33 (permalink)
NRA Life

Hamilton wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Atheists have not killed millions in the name of a book of fiction.
What would an atheist be doing with a Bible? Another ridiculous statement.

- Robert Bosch
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #34 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
What is the difference between the book club and a church?
Well if I was a liberal I would say separation of Church and State. There is no separation of book club and State.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I've got a serious question. If a church doesn't pay property taxes and a fire starts in the church and the fire is not endangering any other building, why should the city be responsible for putting out the fire in the church, since the church doesn't pay the taxes out of which the fire protection is paid for? And why should they be entitled to other city services, like water, sewer, garbage, police, etc that come out of property taxes?

What I am asking is what is the history of this and justification for it. Workers in churches have to pay income taxes, etc. I am not trying to start an argument about church/state separation or taxes. I'm just curious about why churches get these services when they don't pay for them.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

RGRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
I've got a serious question. If a church doesn't pay property taxes and a fire starts in the church and the fire is not endangering any other building, why should the city be responsible for putting out the fire in the church, since the church doesn't pay the taxes out of which the fire protection is paid for? And why should they be entitled to other city services, like water, sewer, garbage, police, etc that come out of property taxes?

What I am asking is what is the history of this and justification for it. Workers in churches have to pay income taxes, etc. I am not trying to start an argument about church/state separation or taxes. I'm just curious about why churches get these services when they don't pay for them.
Would you apply the same non-response policy to other non-profit orgs that don't pay property taxes too?
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRider View Post
Would you apply the same non-response policy to other non-profit orgs that don't pay property taxes too?
I'm asking a serious question here about churches and property taxes. Does a non church non profit organization, like the Red Cross, etc. also not pay property taxes on buildings they own? And if so, what is the historical justification for this? Anyone know?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I'm asking a serious question here about churches and property taxes. Does a non church non profit organization, like the Red Cross, etc. also not pay property taxes on buildings they own? And if so, what is the historical justification for this? Anyone know?
Non-profit non-churches have been tax-exempt here in Wi for over 150 years. But some cities are trying to change that. The justification is non-profits provide a level of benevolence beyond what their tax payments would provide.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
Drifter of threads

TKanaley wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Atheists have not killed millions in the name of a book of fiction.
Atheists have done more than their fair share of killing and one doesn't have to go too far back in history in search of examples. Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Hitler, come to mind...
TKanaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKanaley View Post
Atheists have done more than their fair share of killing and one doesn't have to go too far back in history in search of examples. Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Hitler, come to mind...
One of the things I think religion was designed to do was to help men to control the naturally violent, aggressive parts of himself. That part was helpful when we all lived as hunter gatherers for millions of years up to 10,000 years ago. But now that we are "civilized", we need to control that aspect of our personality a whole lot. Some, like Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot and Hitler clearly did a very poor job. And many religious types also lost their way. The Crusades are an example. So anything that helps tame to some degree our wild, savage side is a good thing.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Some, like Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot and Hitler clearly did a very poor job.
Millions murdered and you call it "a very poor job"? Pathetic.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRider View Post
Millions murdered and you call it "a very poor job"? Pathetic.
I don't know why you are on this kick, but lighten up. You are not my editor. You don't get to advise me on how to write a sentence or which words to choose. Say whatever you want if you don't think I am saying it properly.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I don't know why you are on this kick, but lighten up. You are not my editor. You don't get to advise me on how to write a sentence or which words to choose. Say whatever you want if you don't think I am saying it properly.
Well that's kind of funny cause you very much DO try to correct other people's word usage.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #44 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is still riding a stock bike DJW is still riding a stock bike
We have numerous non-profits here. Churches, University, Hospitals...just to name a few. "Should" they be taxed for their property? Sure...but they'll cease to exist...so...no...probably not in society's best interest.

Just tax the rich more...they'll cover it.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #45 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
The owner of the building is paying property taxes, for fire, police ect. If you are not generating income, then what do you have to be taxed on?

You pay sales tax on the products you use, from money that was taxed from the income that created it.

Why should an organization pay taxes just to exist?
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.