Democrats, don't get too cocky : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

claytp1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Democrats, don't get too cocky

I didn't say it, LZ Granderson did. He also has some interesting things to say concerning tax increases and spending cuts. Will Obama and his chief pinhead Reid follow this advice? I doubt it.

What say you Michael?

Allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire for those who make $1 million a year or more, as championed by some, is estimated to generate only $500 billion to $600 billion over 10 years. That dwarfs the number cutting off Big Bird would bring but it does little to solve the debt problem.

So any plan that does not include significant spending cuts is no plan at all. If Democrats want to build on last week, they have to be bold, because they can't depend on Republicans to say stupid things about rape or ignore minorities forever.

Read the whole op-ed here: http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/13/opinio...nn-disqus-area
claytp1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Altered States

Waffen is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The dems now own the problem. No more blaming Bush, this is obama's economy whether he likes it or not. But like I said in another thread, I'm supporting obama and all his ideas. I want them all to pass become law and prove once and for all that obama's plan to transform America in to a welfare state is unAmeican and will come crashing down upon his pin head. Then maybe we can go back to the Constitutional Republic we are supposed to be and where everone is really equal.

Last edited by Waffen; 11-14-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Waffen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Ricks 03FXST wants to know Dino or Syn?
Perhaps the crash will be the only thing that brings folks to their right minds. Our representatives continue to get rich on insider trading, and our govt is going to take money from folks that made their money the old fashioned way, "They earned it" and give it to those who cannot or will not work for it. O promised to be Robin Hood, and that is what the masses elected.

Here, hold my beer and watch this ****....The rich will not willingly give up their riches. Do you think for one second the Hollywood elite will practice what they have been preaching? They will be the first ones to move their money to protected off-shore accounts. In the mean time the poor and middle class will continue to struggle with inflated prices and shrinking money flow.

Bullets may soon be worth more than gold or silver! Sequestrestration is about to take our military apart. But no fear, TSA will be there to protect you.
Ricks 03FXST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
"Perhaps the crash will be the only thing that brings folks to their right minds."

No, because when the crash happens the gummint will be providing food, clothing, shelter, and medical care to the people who have been crushed. The Republicans, of course, will run on a platform of "shut down the soup lines" so they will lose again.

Seek the truth. Only then will justice and mercy be yours. Do not make religion your trade nor piety a profession.
Fred1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

huskerbob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
i hear a lot of the 'Haves' on the left screaming about the need for more taxes, the rich paying their fair share, etc.

don't hear much about any of them going ahead and cutting personal checks to the U.S. Treasury.

if they are so concerned about it, do they really need to wait for higher tax rates? why not be a Patriot? cut a check payable to the U.S., slap a stamp on an envelope and get it in the mail today?

Last edited by huskerbob; 11-14-2012 at 05:39 AM.
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

boston62 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbob View Post
i hear a lot of the 'Haves' on the left screaming about the need for more taxes, the rich paying their fair share, etc.

don't hear much about any of them going ahead and cutting personal checks to the U.S. Treasury.

if they are so concerned about it, do they really need to wait for higher tax rates? why not cut a check payable to the U.S., slap a stamp on an envelope and get it in the mail today?
I don't see why we just go over the cliff and let's get serious about bringing down this deficit. Isn't that what we want?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com App
boston62 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1369 View Post
"Perhaps the crash will be the only thing that brings folks to their right minds."

No, because when the crash happens the gummint will be providing food, clothing, shelter, and medical care to the people who have been crushed. The Republicans, of course, will run on a platform of "shut down the soup lines" so they will lose again.
At the very least, the Dems will successfully define the Pubs message as "shut down the soup lines ". That, with a healthy dose of "we're still feeling the effects of W's policies" and "we need a little more time " from the libs and it's over, Greece 2.0.
The pubs just don't do a very good job of getting a concise message out there, it doesn't help that the, yup, here it comes again, MSM has essentially stopped working for journalistic integrity and hopped on full time as agenda advancers and official Protectors of the Left.
Congress is non functioning, broken, free press as a critical check on tyranny ....broken. The American ideals of rugged individualism and our deep down sense of pride in that our system, although not perfect, was the most perfect at least, for a lot of people is gone. We have a good chunk of our voting population that cares not at all about a corrupt, 100% non transparent administration that couldn't be honest with US if the worlds survival depended on that honesty.
Govt dependence has lost it's stigma, many folks just take and they've lost that obsolete idea Of just a little help to get back on my feet
Even suggesting that the stigma attached to entitlements was a good thing gets you labeled a bigot, hater, racist, a warrior against x y and z.
He who was hailed as the Great Uniter turned out to be one of the most divisive figures in American history and IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER to the Left. They hold this current administration up to absolutely NO STANDARDS about honesty and decency.Most libs don't give a chit what really happened in Libya, despite the fact the Americans died, possibly avoidable deaths at that, they either don't care or they hit us with a "how many died in Iraq due to W". Our properly functioning system is finally dead, after a long drawn out sickness and it's met not with tears from the left but leg and scrotum tingles.

Yup, we're pretty much fkkd.

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

RK05 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm sure my life will be affected if the Defense cuts do happen since that is the line of work I am in but I am willing to take that chance if it will shake up everyone to start paying attention to the people we send to Washington.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Hey, wait a second, I thought it was us on the right who refused to compromise?

Quote:
Budget Talks: If President Obama wants to get a deficit deal done to avoid the fiscal cliff, his biggest challenge won't be Republicans, but his own hard-core left-wing supporters.

Two days after the election, Obama's favorite economist, Paul Krugman, set the tone for the intransigent left in a column titled: "Let's not make a deal." Boiled down, his advice to Obama was this: Don't give in to any Republican demands, even if doing so would "inflict damage on a still-shaky economy." After all, Obama would be better positioned to "weather any blowback from economic troubles."

Krugman's advice may be disturbingly cold and calculating, but he has plenty of company on the left.

Robert Kuttner, co-founder of the liberal American Prospect magazine, suggests Obama should just sit it out, let all the Bush tax cuts expire, the automatic spending cuts kick in and expect public pressure to force Republicans to give in entirely.

The left-wing Daily Kos called any kind of "grand bargain" between Obama and the GOP a "Great Betrayal."

And several Democratic lawmakers have suggested that the correct approach would be to let the country go over the fiscal cliff, since that will only strengthen Obama's position. "It's a hand Democrats are looking forward to playing," according to the liberal Huffington Post "news" site.

And Republicans are supposed to be the ones who refuse to compromise?

What has liberals freaked out is the fact that any deal with Republicans will likely include cuts to their cherished entitlement programs.

Obama had reportedly agreed to make some modest changes to these programs when he and House Speaker John Boehner were working on their "grand bargain" last summer. And the left wants to avoid that from happening again, at all costs.

The Washington Post says unions and other liberal groups "are mobilizing to oppose concessions they fear (Obama) could make on Medicare and Social Security."

The left's attempt to sabotage any deficit deal is somewhat understandable. After all, their man won. Why should they now have to swallow any spending cuts?

But the public also kept the GOP in control of Congress, sending a clear message that they want both sides to strike a deal. And Republicans have indicated that they're willing to give on revenues.

And the simple truth is that getting the nation's runaway debt under control requires reining in entitlement programs like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and now, thanks to the election, ObamaCare.

The question is whether Obama will decide to work with Republicans on a deal, or side with his take-no-prisoners pals on the left.

Read More At IBD: http://news.investors.com/ibd-editor...#ixzz2CCpvFbok
Oh I forgot, to a lefty compromise means you give in and they get their way.
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
I don't see why we just go over the cliff and let's get serious about bringing down this deficit. Isn't that what we want?

And do you really believe that going over the cliff will actually do something constructive?

It will be hard on the federal workers who make 50K and less. In the DC area, most hourly federal workers are not well off. It's just too expensive to live in the area. And while they will surely get the missed wages repaid, go without right at the start of the Christmas season is a little harsh.

There will be a lot said about SS and SSDI checks not going out, but in the end they will. Those funds come from a trust fund and as such would have to be payed out. To not send these check would subject government appointees to criminal penalties.

The military will not lay off anyone. They will not refuse delivery of any weapons systems. Booze and beef will not run out at the commissary store.

Any business that goes broke over missing a federal payment, was already broke before this started.

In the end, a two week shutdown will save less than 1% of the budget.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Oh I forgot, to a lefty compromise means you give in and they get their way. [/QUOTE]

And they have the public relations machine (propaganda) to make the people think they are being held back. Makes me sick.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

claytp1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

This is precisely why Dan's advice to the Reps perhaps is the best course. "Okay Mr. Prez, you now want (as of today) $1.6T over the next 10 years, you got it. Now that averages out to $160B a year and we're running a rougly $1T deficit, so where's the remaining $840B coming from? We've compromised (the Lib version of compromising meaning we gave you what you want) on your taxes, we're happy to compromise on the remaining $840B, so get back to us on that one please."

Let Obama show if he has the courage, which he doesn't, to make the spending cuts necessary to balance the budget. I think it's the whole point Granderson is making btw.

Hello Michael, I see you're out there, would love to hear your thoughts on spending cuts.
claytp1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

13MM wants to know Dino or Syn?
Reps lost because Jobs And WORK were mentioned
13MM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Ricks 03FXST wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

You mean like after Katrina and Sandy? That was small scale stuff, imagine that happening on a much larger scale, the government is not prepared to handle a large scale catastrophe, especially this administration. People will once again have to turn to the churches and families for support and communities will have to pull together to get through the initial chaos!
Ricks 03FXST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

boston62 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I say let the Bush Tax cuts expire and get this deficit under control. Isn't this what we all want, yes we will pay & hurt more but everyone will. Let's go over this cliff.
Let's get our Country back on track, I am independent voter.

boston62 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.