ObamaCare Layoffs - Elections have Consequences : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is still riding a stock bike DJW is still riding a stock bike
ObamaCare Layoffs - Elections have Consequences

Our community here is heavily dependent on Medicine as an industry. Our location as a cross roads in the State made it ideal for Hospitals.

However in just the last few days we've been smacked by layoffs attributed to ObamaCare. Now that the election is over, reality is setting in that this will be the law of the land. Businesses will have to do what Government doesn't: pay the piper.

Quote:
Syracuse, N.Y. — Just two weeks after announcing 25 job cuts, Crouse Hospital today announced 70 more.

Today’s cuts included licensed practical nurses, nursing assistants, nursing support and non-nursing positions, said Bob Allen, a Crouse vice president. Twenty-three of the positions were already vacant.

Most of the jobs eliminated were union positions, unlike the Oct. 24 layoff, which involved management positions. "We worked very closely with the union to make sure we did this in partnership with them," Allen said.

The cuts are necessary because the hospital's expenses are rising faster than revenues, Allen said. Rising patient drug costs and employee health care benefit costs are two major factors driving up Crouse's expenses, Allen said. At the same time the hospital is anticipating significant cuts in payments from Medicare and Medicaid.

"The cost for us to provide care is going up at the exact same time the reimbursement we get to provide care is going in the opposite direction," Allen said. "It's a tough and challenging situation not just for Crouse, but for all hospitals in the country."
And in a similar but related case:

Quote:
Skaneatles Falls, NY -- Welch Allyn told employees at companywide meetings this morning that it plans to cut 275 jobs, or about 10 percent of its worldwide workforce.
About 45 workers were told today that they will lose their jobs at the company's headquarters in Skaneateles Falls.
The cuts are part of the medical device maker's plans to reshape its business in the wake of turmoil in the U.S. market and expand into emerging global markets, Chief Executive Steve Meyer said this afternoon.

The majority of the job losses will come from Beaverton, Oregon, where Welch Allyn plans to close a factory. About 160 workers will lose their jobs when the factory that makes wireless portable patient monitors closes, Meyer said.

Production of those products will move to Skaneateles, he said. At the same time, the company will move its remaining thermometer probe cover, lamp and some of its blood pressure cuff production to its factory in Tijuana, Mexico, Meyer said. That factory opened about seven years ago, he said.

The uncertainty surrounding the future of the Obama health care package is creating turmoil in the domestic market, Meyer said. Hospitals and doctor offices aren't investing in new equipment until they see how the health care issues will play out, Meyer said.
Welch Allyn and other medical device makers face a new federal tax hike come January when a new 2.3 percent tax on sales of medical devices called for under the Affordable Care Act takes effect, he said.

For example, a company that has $100 million in sales would pay $2.3 million in tax, Meyer explained. If that same company earns $10 million in profit that tax now represents a 23 percent dip in the bottom line, he said.
Those who bought the lie, will be the ones who pay the dearest. The upper income people will make due, but those at the bottom will continue to pay for America's foolishness.
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I've noticed several reports of layoffs recently. Of course liberals will blame it on poor management, etc. Those who bought the lie, will be the ones who pay the dearest. But "O" will take care of them by taxing the rich. Then the rich will pass that burden on to the middle class. Vicious cycle that doesn't end well.

Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Altered States

Waffen is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Working as planned. Higher unemployment woo hoo. Can't wait for my taxes to go up so I can pay their way.
Waffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
NRA Life

Hamilton wants to know Dino or Syn?
The idiots here California voted for two more tax increases, one local (fireman's pensions) and the other state wide (education). Idiots.

- Robert Bosch
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

guydoc77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I said pretty much the same thing in a lot more words four years ago when O-Care passed.
The idea that nothing will change in "healthcare" except everyone will "be covered" now is simply ludicrous.
Like it or not, "healthcare" is a business. Vast majority of hospitals and clinics are businesses.
Make no mistake, part of the game will be to reduce reimbursement to hospitals and clinics based on those entities not meeting "core requirements" and "standards of care".
While that sound awesome and "fair", with a little imagination, one can see how manipulating the "core requirements" and "standards of care" will raise the bar so high that it becomes virtually impossible to meet those requirements and standards.
This actually began even before Obama.
You have to accept the FACT that the gubmint's sole intention is to get out of paying the bill. And their methodology is/will be to make it look like it's really those mean, nasty,corrupt doctors and hospitals that aren't providing "quality" and "safe" "care".
The net result will be the same. Less hospitals, clinics, and even doctors and nurses.

Picture a regional system. You have a problem other than a routine problem? You get shipped to the regional center which may be hundreds of miles away. With a little more imagination, you can picture waiting lists and bottlenecks for "specialty" care. Along the way, yes, some of the folks in line will get worse with their cancer or heart condition and, when they finally get to the front of the line, their net expenditure will be less in the long run. And yes, some of them will die.

I mentioned the other day that a sea change in healthcare will be required to halt the geometric increase in cost. The sea change I describe above is not necessarily what I picture to be the best solution however. Had all of us made more informed and, therefore, more responsible decisions about how we spent other people's money on OUR healthcare, we wouldn't be on this cusp. I've posted at length on this forum before about needing to have a system in which the patients have skin in the game. The above scenario is the alternative.
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
R&R Stage 3 heads, .030 gasket, 82cc chambers
Trued, welded, and balanced crank by Hyperformance
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
Supermeg with open cap and 15 discs
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
Aspen White (got it for my wife)
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
guydoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this? James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
The idiots here California voted for two more tax increases, one local (fireman's pensions) and the other state wide (education). Idiots.
You don't like firemen or teachers?
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
NRA Life

Hamilton wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
You don't like firemen or teachers?
I hate paying more taxes so firemen can have even more luxurious lifestyle. The average income of an Orange County firefighter is $170K a year. My brother is an engineer, he makes even more. His retirement will be 90% of his already sky high income.

Governor Moonnbeam is raising taxes in the name of "education". I guess people already forgot about his shopping spree earlier this year when the Dems approved a $63B high speed train that will get you to Bakersfield and Fresno.

It's surely destined to be another fiscal failure, just like Amtrak. Mean while our freeways painfully crawl twice a day at the dreaded rush hours...

- Robert Bosch
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this? James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
I hate paying more taxes so firemen can have even more luxurious lifestyle. The average income of an Orange County firefighter is $170K a year. My brother is an engineer, he makes even more. His retirement will be 90% of his already sky high income.

Governor Moonnbeam is raising taxes in the name of "education". I guess people already forgot about his shopping spree earlier this year when the Dems approved a $63B high speed train that will get you to Bakersfield and Fresno.

It's surely destined to be another fiscal failure, just like Amtrak. Mean while our freeways painfully crawl twice a day at the dreaded rush hours...
I'm curious. What do you think is fair pay for a fireman or a school teacher? I've never given it much thought. I would think that both occupations deserve upper middle class pay. I have no idea what that would be in your area.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Altered States

Quote:
I'm curious. What do you think is fair pay for a fireman or a school teacher? I've never given it much thought. I would think that both occupations deserve upper middle class pay. I have no idea what that would be in your area.
How about the same as our military, then they can collect welfare to make up the difference.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffen View Post
How about the same as our military, then they can collect welfare to make up the difference.
I'm guessing their is a lot of sarcasm in your post but I still don't get it.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
I think we oughta pay them at least a mil per year. Look at how great our teachers are doing now. Just think how good they'll do when we throw more money at them.
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRider View Post
I think we oughta pay them at least a mil per year. Look at how great our teachers are doing now. Just think how good they'll do when we throw more money at them.
What do you think is fair pay for a fireman or a school teacher?

Do you have a college education? If so what did you major in? Tell me what college degree you have and I'll tell you what your income should be.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Iron Butt

g480628 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would say that Californians deserve what they have voted onto themselves. I understand that the democrats now have a super majority in the California congress so they can continue to vote in tax increases and increase pensions for state workers without fear of any opposition.
It is no wonder that businesses are leaving the state in droves, faced with the multitude of regulations and taxes they must face. States such as Texas that are business friendly will gladly take in those that choose to leave.
I like California, lived there for many years, but I can't imagine what the state will look like in four years...
Old 11-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Altered States

Get them off the State dole and get them on the obama train. We need more brown shirt soldiers to join the obama evolution.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
What do you think is fair pay for a fireman or a school teacher?

Do you have a college education? If so what did you major in? Tell me what college degree you have and I'll tell you what your income should be.
Since the public pays the wages of those professions then it's entirely acceptable for the public to have input as to the worth of those professions. YOU tell me what you think teachers and firemen should be paid since you seem to think we're all just supposed to bend over and pay out whatever the union thinks they should get. Oh that's right, you're a union lackey. All for one and one for all right? As long as they're union anyway. Funny how in a time of private sector cutbacks due to crummy public policy, public sector unionista's think they should be immune.
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement