ObamaCare Layoffs - Elections have Consequences - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
IronButt

hondo2doc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAngle View Post
It has for quite a while. Clearly there are examples of folks without degrees making lots of money. However, those with college degrees earn higher wages than those without degrees.
James claimed he could determine how much someone should make based on their college education. I never stated and/or implied that anyone with or without college made more or less than any one else. And yes I have read the same stats that college grads make more than non-college grads.

But college does not determine what your pay will be.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Motorcycle.com Free App
hondo2doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #32 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey0211 View Post
As deeply moved as I am by this concern for the unemployed (especially union members) I wonder how bad the hospital layoffs would be if we followed the Right Wing Republican model and ended Medicare and Medicaid altogether? And after the public and private sectors finish shedding employee insurance benefits they say they can no longer afford?

Elections DO have consequences. Sometimes they can be much, much worse.
End Medicare n Medicaid altogether huh?
The election is done Case, no need to continue the propaganda n scare tactics
They already worked.

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #33 (permalink)
IronButt

JBourquin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Damn, I'm moving to Cali! $170k/yr for a firefighter?? ****, people think I'm over paid and I barely make a third of that.. I'm sure the COL is probably higher there, but highly doubt its 3x as high..

JBourquin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this? James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Let the market determine their pay. I would bet that there would be a long line of guys who would take my brother's job at $60K a year, including me. I've never been paid while sleeping.
Define market value. The garbage truck drivers where I work earn about 140k per year, that's base pay plus union benefits. Is that too much?
James is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #35 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Define market value. The garbage truck drivers where I work earn about 140k per year, that's base pay plus union benefits. Is that too much?
About $100k too much.
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #36 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this? James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo2doc View Post
James claimed he could determine how much someone should make based on their college education. I never stated and/or implied that anyone with or without college
I was just going to tell him he is over paid but he wouldn't take the bait.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #37 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRider View Post
About $100k too much.
Lol....you couldn't do the job.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Lol....you couldn't do the job.
Right, cause it's so tough to sit in a truck and pull a lever or flip a switch to lift the containers and dump them in a truck.

Maybe about 30 years ago it was tough to be a garbage collector but these days? Give me a break! I'm sure it must be tough to get the no-compete city contracts though that force me to use whatever company gives the best payoff to the city guy who decides for the council which one to use.
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #39 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRider View Post
Right, cause it's so tough to sit in a truck and pull a lever or flip a switch to lift the containers and dump them in a truck.

Maybe about 30 years ago it was tough to be a garbage collector but these days? Give me a break! I'm sure it must be tough to get the no-compete city contracts though that force me to use whatever company gives the best payoff to the city guy who decides for the council which one to use.
The odds are that you seriously couldn't do the job. That's based on facts. Most guys who are hired don't make it past 1 year. Rarely does anyone survive to retirement. The job destroys peoples back. Driving everyday in the city and anything is bound to happen. The amount of incidents each week is amazing. A serious incident can easily cost my company millions of dollars. We have about 100 drivers from just my location. At least 1 person a week gets fired. Rarely does that driver win a grievance and get his job back.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #40 (permalink)
Premium Member

claytp1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
The odds are that you seriously couldn't do the job. That's based on facts. Most guys who are hired don't make it past 1 year. Rarely does anyone survive to retirement. The job destroys peoples back. Driving everyday in the city and anything is bound to happen. The amount of incidents each week is amazing. A serious incident can easily cost my company millions of dollars. We have about 100 drivers from just my location. At least 1 person a week gets fired. Rarely does that driver win a grievance and get his job back.
Okay James, I gotta side with RG a bit here. Your local brother here from AW drives down the street and all he has to do is line up the truck with my trash can, flip a switch and manage not to pull away from the can before it has been released.

Not meaning to be disrespectful to the driver at all. I'm sure like all truck drivers as well as scoot riders, he has his share of idiots when in traffic to deal with. Is this what you're getting at? Please some details, because it just doesn't seem like much of a high pressure job. But I'll acknowledge I may be wrong, please show me.
claytp1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #41 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytp1 View Post
Okay James, I gotta side with RG a bit here. Your local brother here from AW drives down the street and all he has to do is line up the truck with my trash can, flip a switch and manage not to pull away from the can before it has been released.

Not meaning to be disrespectful to the driver at all. I'm sure like all truck drivers as well as scoot riders, he has his share of idiots when in traffic to deal with. Is this what you're getting at? Please some details, because it just doesn't seem like much of a high pressure job. But I'll acknowledge I may be wrong, please show me.
You are asking about residential drivers apparently. It looks easy doesn't it? (I use to work for Allied Waste..btw) Well it's not easy work. What you are talking about is toter carts. That is easy, but not all homes have all of their trash in just that toter. Most residential guys in my area serve about 750 homes a day.

I said a driver in my area makes 140k per year. That's top pay with the maximum overtime and all benefits included. Hourly pay is around 31.50 I think. It sounds like a monkey could do that job but they can't. Fact is 9 out of 10 won't make it past a year. I use to be a garbage man and I didn't make it past 3. My back is destroyed. The company liked my work so they trained me to be a mechanic.

PS. Yeah traffic is insane for the guys I work with. We service downtown Chicago. Here's a cool tidbit. Ever wonder how they handle trash in the skyscrapers? We actually service a couple that the truck actually goes up in the elevator to the trash. I've never seen it done but that's what the driver tells me.

Last edited by James; 11-11-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #42 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
You are asking about residential drivers apparently. It looks easy doesn't it? (I use to work for Allied Waste..btw) Well it's not easy work. What you are talking about is toter carts. That is easy, but not all homes have all of their trash in just that toter. Most residential guys in my area serve about 1,000 homes a day.

I said a driver in my area makes 140k per year. That's top pay with the maximum overtime and all benefits included. Hourly pay is around 31.50 I think. It sounds like a monkey could do that job but they can't. Fact is 9 out of 10 won't make it past a year. I use to be a garbage man and I didn't make it past 3. My back is destroyed. The company liked my work so they trained me to be a mechanic.
Good grief James, are you telling me there's still the old style trucks with the guy riding on the back who hops out and actually picks up a can and dumps the contents into the truck?

If so, it's easy mental work, but I'd grant you it'd be hell on the body.

P.S. Your driver Gordon acted like a perfect a$$ today!!

Last edited by claytp1; 11-11-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #43 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Good grief James, are you telling me there's still the old style trucks with the guy riding on the back who hops out and actually picks up a can and dumps the contents into the truck?

If so, it's easy mental work, but I'd grant you it'd be hell on the body.
Yes there are still those guys. I was wrong when I said 1000 homes a day. I am talking on the phone with I guy I work with who does residential. He said 750 is more accurate..but still it is a lot of work. My company, Waste Management and others are very strict on safety. We have camera's inside the truck that records 24/7. They can sense even the most minor scrape and it automatically uploads the video to the supervisor.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #44 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
P.S. Your driver Gordon acted like a perfect a$$ today!!
I agree. He's lucky he didn't get stomped.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #45 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Yes there are still those guys. I was wrong when I said 1000 homes a day. I am talking on the phone with I guy I work with who does residential. He said 750 is more accurate..but still it is a lot of work. My company, Waste Management and others are very strict on safety. We have camera's inside the truck that records 24/7. They can sense even the most minor scrape and it automatically uploads the video to the supervisor.
Wow, even when I lived in rural Idaho, we had the toter's as you call them.

One of my hunting buddy's is a driver for UPS, by his description I think his truck even knows when he cuts a fart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.