Petraeus Out - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #31 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this? James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
We should have Rumsfeld and Cheney water board him. I'll bet they can make him tell us what the the pubs want him to say.
James is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The General followed the code of conduct and resigned when he was found to be in conflict of it. Let it go as that.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by webco2 View Post
The General followed the code of conduct and resigned when he was found to be in conflict of it. Let it go as that.

The investigation started this spring. Kinda funny timing it all comes out after the election then ain't it?
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
VIP
Premium Member

VIP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Erections have consequences...!!!
VIP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is still riding a stock bike DJW is still riding a stock bike DJW is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey0211 View Post
... by Right Wingers who don't know that Congress can subpoena Petraeus and anyone else they want whether they're head of CIA or not.

The level of ignorance is staggering.
Not exactly. Congress has the power (not constitutionally mind you) by Judicial fiat, to call a witness to testify or turn over documents. If they refuse to do so a contempt prosecution falls to the executive branch. So...in this case...Petraeus would have to be prosecuted by the Obama Administration.

Perhaps you recall that guy...ummm...what's his name? - Oh yeah....Eric Holder.

Staggering.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is still riding a stock bike DJW is still riding a stock bike DJW is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRider View Post
Whoops, shoulda read DJW's post first.
Always a good policy.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:

If the general had followed the code of conduct he never would have had that affair and would still be the head of the CIA. He gets no credit for resigning a day or two before he would have been fired.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #38 (permalink)
Premium Member

claytp1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Interesting how a General can lose his job over this, but his Commander in Chief should be entitled to his private life.
claytp1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #39 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

HiAngle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claytp1 View Post
Interesting how a General can lose his job over this, but his Commander in Chief should be entitled to his private life.
He's no longer a General, Clay. However, plenty of General officers have had affairs, that became known, and continued on in their careers.

I live in northern Virginia, which means I'm in the Washington, DC media market so you can imagine how much attention this is getting on the news and in the newspapers. Today's Washington Post has a few articles that sheds more light on why the investigation started, what the FBI initially thought, and when they went to the administration (not President Obama). I'm sure there are more facts out there but assuming what I read is true, it makes sense that they didn't inform the administration sooner. Petraeus is not facing criminal charges- having an affair is not a federal crime. So if you don't have all of the facts straight, you don't report something that may not be true. I'm also guessing that Petraeus' reputation and stature came in to play in the FBI not wanting to get this wrong.

Why did he resign? Only Petraeus can answer that but I'll offer this-- it was the right thing to do. But it appears as if he wasn't asked for his letter of resignation. He offered it and it's being reported he would not be talked out of it. It's also important to remember that he led an organization that would strip security clearances, effectively ending someone's career, for having an affair because of the security risk affairs bring. More importantly, he would have lost credibility with the organization he was leading.

The King puts the balls where the Queen wants them.
HiAngle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #40 (permalink)
IronButt

sgmfisher wants to know where he is and how he got here
Remember back in the Regan erra when a guy named North took the hit for the president ?? Could he possibly be taking the hit for the president and drawing focus away from the embasy case?? If so, he is a good soldier and will be rewarded for it down the road somewhere. In the wind.

Pops
sgmfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #41 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAngle View Post
He's no longer a General, Clay. However, plenty of General officers have had affairs, that became known, and continued on in their careers.

I live in northern Virginia, which means I'm in the Washington, DC media market so you can imagine how much attention this is getting on the news and in the newspapers. Today's Washington Post has a few articles that sheds more light on why the investigation started, what the FBI initially thought, and when they went to the administration (not President Obama). I'm sure there are more facts out there but assuming what I read is true, it makes sense that they didn't inform the administration sooner. Petraeus is not facing criminal charges- having an affair is not a federal crime. So if you don't have all of the facts straight, you don't report something that may not be true. I'm also guessing that Petraeus' reputation and stature came in to play in the FBI not wanting to get this wrong.

Why did he resign? Only Petraeus can answer that but I'll offer this-- it was the right thing to do. But it appears as if he wasn't asked for his letter of resignation. He offered it and it's being reported he would not be talked out of it. It's also important to remember that he led an organization that would strip security clearances, effectively ending someone's career, for having an affair because of the security risk affairs bring. More importantly, he would have lost credibility with the organization he was leading.
All I can say is thank you for making my point. While there's not much doubt Petraeus had a moment of poor judgment, at least he had the integrity to step up and understand the consequences of his actions. Seems a reasonable requirement for the CINC, no?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #42 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

I suspect that's the difference between being appointed and being elected. Is it right? I don't know. Should Al Gore have been given the Presidency because of Clinton's sexual escapade(s)? I think our country would have suffered more under Gore.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #43 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAngle View Post
I suspect that's the difference between being appointed and being elected. Is it right? I don't know. Should Al Gore have been given the Presidency because of Clinton's sexual escapade(s)? I think our country would have suffered more under Gore.
Gore as POTUS is a scary thought. But "Do as I say, not as I do" isn't the type of standard I think the POTUS should set. I'd have less disdain for Clinton if he just came out and admitted to it, but that's not within a narcissist's nature.

P.S. Did you see Jimmy wreck out today? For the first time in several years I was not in attendance.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #44 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytp1 View Post

P.S. Did you see Jimmy wreck out today? For the first time in several years I was not in attendance.
I did see the wreck. My 7year old is a Jimmy fan and he was not happy about it. In addition to the race, the MMA action in the pits was an added bonus!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #45 (permalink)
IronButt

thrasher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs down House majority leader knew of Petraeus matter in October

Quote:

Let it go as that,... yeah, whatever. What a big load of horsechit.

The fact is: the general didn't follow the code of conduct, and only resigned when he was caught red-handed.

Apparently, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R), knew about the Petraeus' affair back in October.

Quote:
(CNN) -- House Majority Leader Eric Cantor knew in October about former CIA Director David Petraeus' involvement in an extramarital affair, a spokesman for the congressman told CNN on Sunday.
Doug Heye said Cantor, a Republican, was tipped to the information by an FBI employee. The congressman had a conversation with the official, described as a whistle-blower, about the affair and national security concerns involved in the matter, he said.
The New York Times reported Saturday that on October 31, Cantor's chief of staff phoned the FBI to inform the agency about the call between the congressman and the FBI official. The Times reported that Cantor learned of the whistle-blower through Rep. Dave Reichert, R-Washington.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/11/us/pet...html?hpt=hp_t1

thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.