Voter turnout in 2012 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Voter turnout in 2012

I haven't seen this in other threads so I thought I'd post it. From the numbers reported, Obama received 8.9 million fewer votes this year than he did in 2008. Romney received 2.2 million fewer votes than McCain did in 2008. A little more than 11 million fewer votes total and I'm guessing the population isn't shrinking.

I didn't realize this many voters were disengaged from the presidential election this year. Comments?
Uncle Salty is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

thrasher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Interesting. Where did you come by this data?

thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
not sober all the time

I googled 2008 and 2012 election results then compared info from wikipedia, CNN and Politico sites.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is still riding a stock bike DJW is still riding a stock bike
Thanks Salty, I'd heard that, but hadn't seen the numbers. It wasn't the case in my district where we had a very busy day, virtually non-stop all from 6am-till 9pm.

But then we're just one of those red-blotches in an otherwise blue ocean. I give the people all the credit who take the time from their busy lives to vote. People in wheel chairs, leaning on canes. One woman had two newborns, one in each little carry basket. Parents with two or three kids in tow. Men who smelled like hay and grease, women who were still in their nurse's scrubs.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Salty View Post
I googled 2008 and 2012 election results then compared info from wikipedia, CNN and Politico sites.
I'm not saying that you're wrong. I think it may be too early to draw conclusions on this, as the data from the Nov 6, 2012 election is incomplete at this time.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

kustom_flames is reading this now saying WTF is this?
My guess is that alot of people weren't happy with either of the two choices...I mean 4 more years of this crap isn't going to be great, and Romney wasn't exactly what I would consider an exciting choice either...

While the exact numbers may not be in yet...I am sure it is safe to say that voter turnout was down....

Sold!
kustom_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
I'm not saying that you're wrong. I think it may be too early to draw conclusions on this, as the data from the Nov 6, 2012 election is incomplete at this time.
You think the total number could be off by over 11 million votes? If so we need to recount. Romney could be the president elect after all.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

JohnC FXDX wants to know Dino or Syn?
Seeing that he was 2.2 off of McCain and Obama was down 8.9, I doubt Romney stands a chance. I don't like what Obama has done, but Romney and the republican party are a bunch of creepy bastards. They need some major reform and need to seperate themselves from the religious conservative. 2008 had record turn out because people were passionate. This time there were a lot who did not like either and wanted to show it. The low vote count will be looked at by both parties.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX View Post
Seeing that he was 2.2 off of McCain and Obama was down 8.9, I doubt Romney stands a chance. I don't like what Obama has done, but Romney and the republican party are a bunch of creepy bastards. They need some major reform and need to seperate themselves from the religious conservative. 2008 had record turn out because people were passionate. This time there were a lot who did not like either and wanted to show it. The low vote count will be looked at by both parties.
I agree. The "Romney could be the president elect after all" comment was a joke. I feel pretty certain the turnout was indeed lower then 2008. I believe that many Ron Paul supporters either sat out or voted for Johnson after the GOP closed them out and changed the rules of the party to prevent "dissent" in the party.

Many potential voters are fed up with the politics of the day where winner is the one who demonizes the other most effectively. This election was won on fear. That's a hell of a way to be president.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Salty View Post
You think the total number could be off by over 11 million votes? If so we need to recount. Romney could be the president elect after all.
I don't draw conclusions from incomplete data. I leave the conspiracy theories up to the rightwingnuts so i can laugh at them later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement