Why Obama won : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Why Obama won

I'm writing this, not as crowing about Obie's victory, rather about facing reality about why the candidates from the party for whom I voted lost, specifically Mitt Romney and Todd Aiken.

The republican party let social issues such as abortion and birth control be in the forefront (see Todd Aiken and Richard Mourdock) rather than sticking with, "It's the economy, stupid." Too much talk about rape and birth control which resulted in tied tongues and misspeaks? Were they trapped by the MSM. They need to be smarter than that, let it go with, "I'm pro life!" Remember those three words and only use those three words on the subject. Well, maybe, "What do you not understand about I'm pro life?" followed by, "Now, let's talk about the economy."

When Mitt talked about the economy, it smelled like Bush voodoo with unexplainable math.

Maybe, just maybe the GOP should recognize that there are a lot of Hispanic voters. The old white guys like me are dying off. You young white guys probably don't like it, but what you like or don't doesn't matter. You might have to face reality. And before you go jumping on Dems for opening the gates, RR opened them, and Dubya courted Hispanics, remember?

How'd that GOP touted consipiracy theory about the MSM slanting the poll numbers work for the GOP? Making the echo chamber ring is not a strategy. When you villify the guys that were right, it makes you look, well, stupid. Stop the spin, do the work. Quit blaming others for your failures.

By far the great majority of superpac money was spent by Romney supporters. How did buying an election with negative ads work out? Made the echo chamber ring though didn't it?

Women? Hmm, 52% of the voters are women? Really? Don't they vote the way their man tells them?

Maybe the GOP needs to make some changes, but what do I know, I'm viewed as a libtard.

Last edited by Lefty; 11-07-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u wants to know Dino or Syn?
Adjustments for sure. But abandoning what you feel is right for what you feel will win makes you a Democrat. We still need two parties.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Ziggy57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
It was stated that the "people's vote" was 49.3 for OB and 49.2 For Romney...
Our country is still divided but Congress already had their minds made up!

This election was a repeat of the last where the electoral votes closed the deal .. The peoples vote doesn't really count much at all. 14 states were uncounted and he was declared the victor!!.
Ziggy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

squidly wants to know Dino or Syn?
Obama is a pop culture president. He lacks depth and substance. He was elected on the stupidity of our citizens. People who place a higher value in pop culture than they do about the fiscal solvency of our nation.. The people who regularly discuss politics are a vocal minority. The vast majority can tell you more about musicians, actors and sports figures than they can about the people who we put in charge to run this country on our behalf. Both parties count on this ignorance and use rhetoric to drive their constituents to vote for them.

Live your life and enjoy, just know that your children and grand children will not live as good a life as you thanks to the dumbing down of our country.
squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired TMCM(SS)

DoctorDee wants to know Dino or Syn?
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin
DoctorDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with you Left One 100%....Romney took his eye off the ball and let the Religious Right seal his doom. He caved to pressure from his original positions to appease the zealots. The government has no place in people's bedrooms, whether on a woman's rights or on gay marriage. The economy is Job 1, without a solid and robust economy, everything else means nothing. I still think without fiscal responsibility we're F*@KED. Obama can't spend his way out of this....

Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Casey0211 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I used to vote Republicans regularly. In fact, up until George W. Bush, I was evenly split in my presidential votes: half for Democrats and half for Republicans. But I just can't anymore. The party is overrun with Michelle Bachmans, Todd Akinses, and Allen Wests, Rand Pauls, Rick Santorums and others who I consider extremists both economically and maybe even more importantly, socially. Today's GOP is nothing but the John Birch Society with a new name. If that changes, I'll take another look at them. But they just get more and more extreme it seems every year. I feel bad for Romney. I don't think he's a bad guy. He's certainly not a Bircher. But I think it's instructive that most of the Right Wingers on this site had to hold their nose to vote for him.
Casey0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Any of you read the story's about Obama's support from Latinos. He won something like 73 percent of their votes. Sorry guys, but a party of old white males has nowhere to go -- especially when it uses minorities and women as a punching bag. Delude yourselves that minorities and women are wrong about you, and maybe they are wrong about you as individuals. But there's a reason the party can't attract non-whites and has trouble attracting women. It's because they disrespect them.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with most of that Left, but were you joking bout most women vote how their man tells them? Kind of an obsolete way of looking at things. Anyway, seems a lots of woman voted with their pussies, and their pussies only, which is also supposedly obsolete too.

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey0211 View Post
It's because they disrespect them.
I guess you missed the invective directed at Mia Love in Utah this election cycle. It came from the left. The truth is any minority who runs as a Republican is excoriated by the left as somehow betraying their race.
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Altered States

Waffen is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The reason the pubs lost is because they were unable to distinguish between an American vision and obama's vision for the country.

W
Waffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
I'm writing this, not as crowing about Obie's victory, rather about facing reality about why the candidates from the party for whom I voted lost, specifically Mitt Romney and Todd Aiken.

The republican party let social issues such as abortion and birth control be in the forefront (see Todd Aiken and Richard Mourdock) rather than sticking with, "It's the economy, stupid." Too much talk about rape and birth control which resulted in tied tongues and misspeaks? Were they trapped by the MSM. They need to be smarter than that, let it go with, "I'm pro life!" Remember those three words and only use those three words on the subject. Well, maybe, "What do you not understand about I'm pro life?" followed by, "Now, let's talk about the economy."

When Mitt talked about the economy, it smelled like Bush voodoo with unexplainable math.

Maybe, just maybe the GOP should recognize that there are a lot of Hispanic voters. The old white guys like me are dying off. You young white guys probably don't like it, but what you like or don't doesn't matter. You might have to face reality. And before you go jumping on Dems for opening the gates, RR opened them, and Dubya courted Hispanics, remember?

How'd that GOP touted consipiracy theory about the MSM slanting the poll numbers work for the GOP? Making the echo chamber ring is not a strategy. When you villify the guys that were right, it makes you look, well, stupid. Stop the spin, do the work. Quit blaming others for your failures.

By far the great majority of superpac money was spent by Romney supporters. How did buying an election with negative ads work out? Made the echo chamber ring though didn't it?

Women? Hmm, 52% of the voters are women? Really? Don't they vote the way their man tells them?

Maybe the GOP needs to make some changes, but what do I know, I'm viewed as a libtard.
I don't disagree with what you said but there are a lot of other factors as well. The MSM did play a major roll. Why were they not pressing Obama on any of the important issues? Why were there no questions about Benghazi from anyone but Conservative media, aka talk radio and Fox News? Why was the media always commenting about the lack of details on the Romney plan but never asked for a single detail of Obama's plan or if he even had a plan? Why was the media so concerned about Romney not releasing more of his tax returns but they have not once questioned Obama sealing and not releasing his academic records? Maybe there is nothing incriminating in his academic records but the same could be said for Romney's tax records! Why be so demanding of information on one side and so out to lunch on the other.

About the effectiveness of negative ads I guess it depends on who you ask. They seem to have worked out pretty well for Obama who ran one of the most negative campaigns ever. Negative campaigning has been a trademark of Obama's campaigns throughout his political career and this year was one of the worse.

I think if you pick just about any campaign past or present you will find that while people complain about the negative ads they do in fact work. People complain that the politicians are too negative and don't talk about the issues enough but the evidence seems to support the fact that negative ads work! When it comes to talking about issues I can understand why politicians are reluctant to talk about them. Much like when you are arrested and mirandized, in a political campaign, "anything you say can and will be used against you." You could modify that to read "anything you say can and will be spun and used against you."
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRider View Post
I guess you missed the invective directed at Mia Love in Utah this election cycle. It came from the left. The truth is any minority who runs as a Republican is excoriated by the left as somehow betraying their race.
Is she an anti-American Muslim from Kenya?

Stop and think for a minute: the first minority president isn't even an American. Believe me, the GOP's problems with minorities are far bigger than the Left's complaints about Mia Love.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

HiAngle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I think you're on to something, Lefty. If the Republican Party wants to maintain the same set of principles and keep with the same message, which they have every right to, then they'll face an uphill battle for quite a while. It is one thing for a candidate (Aiken) to step on his crank by making some weird abortion/pregnancy declaration but it speaks volumes that Mourdock comes out and saying something just as stupid----- that guy had the luxury of knowing he needed to keep his mouth shut!

Romney was always a poor candidate. He was not going to magically fix the economy and our debt was not going to magically start reversing-- anybody who thought so is only kidding themselves. I voted for him and while I think he sucked, he just sucked less.

As I read a lot of the posts he today, I can't help but notice the "doomsday" and "falling sky" predictions. Invest in Smith and Wesson? Prepare for the end of times? That's the crap that isn't resonating with anybody but the outer fringe.

PS..... Wonder if utrvp's winning math formula is getting updated today?

The King puts the balls where the Queen wants them.
HiAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

thrasher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAngle View Post
I think you're on to something, Lefty. If the Republican Party wants to maintain the same set of principles and keep with the same message, which they have every right to, then they'll face an uphill battle for quite a while. It is one thing for a candidate (Aiken) to step on his crank by making some weird abortion/pregnancy declaration but it speaks volumes that Mourdock comes out and saying something just as stupid----- that guy had the luxury of knowing he needed to keep his mouth shut!

Romney was always a poor candidate. He was not going to magically fix the economy and our debt was not going to magically start reversing-- anybody who thought so is only kidding themselves. I voted for him and while I think he sucked, he just sucked less.

As I read a lot of the posts he today, I can't help but notice the "doomsday" and "falling sky" predictions. Invest in Smith and Wesson? Prepare for the end of times? That's the crap that isn't resonating with anybody but the outer fringe.

PS..... Wonder if utrvp's winning math formula is getting updated today?
I think they're busy trying to create another artificial gun and ammo shortage to raise prices.

thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement