Putting the Pollsters to the test : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this? DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Putting the Pollsters to the test

With just about 2 weeks to go till the election...let's see how the pollsters do.

I will skip the silly polls and just stick with the polls of "likely voters" because those are the only people that matter in the end. (VOTE!)

Gallup as of today:
Romney: 52 - Obama 45 - Other or Undecided: 3
http://www.gallup.com/poll/157817/el...ma-romney.aspx

Rasmussen as of today:
Romney: 49 - Obama: 47 - Other or Undecided: 3
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ..._tracking_poll

WSJ/NBC as of today:
Romney: 47 - Obama: 47 - Other or Undecided 6
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-now-tied?lite

In general there is a +/- 3% error in any poll, but the 7-day rolling average that Gallup uses is supposed to iron out that errors.

Real Clear Politics uses a sample of numerous polls, some of them biased toward one party or the other...and averages them out.
That has it a dead heat at 47-47.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...bama-1171.html

As I have said many times, I'll put my bet on Gallup. Although the dems are up in arms about the current wide gap, I believe Gallup is the cream of the crop. Over the next two weeks, we can watch the polls and then come election day...declare who got it right.

Quote:
Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
or, we could throw chicken bones.

The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy. -Charles de Montesquieu
Fred1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

compressor#v wants to know Dino or Syn?
Jeez since the polls show Rommy even or up, I don't hear the media conspiracy BS anymore. Imagine that!
compressor#v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by compressor#v View Post
Jeez since the polls show Rommy even or up, I don't hear the media conspiracy BS anymore. Imagine that!
I guess you haven't been paying attention!
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

compressor#v wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrvp View Post
I guess you haven't been paying attention!
I'll put it this way, I haven't been paying attention the the pundits.
Either side.
compressor#v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Even if Romney wins (which seems likely to me) the BS will not stop, it will just move to a slightly different topic.

Some people ain't happy unless they ain't happy.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Boy, isn't that the truth. When the polls suggested The One was leading it was a left wing conspiracy and polls were useless. The level of caterwauling was deafening. Now, that Romney is leading I suppose they are valid and honorable.Never ceases to amaze me.

But, gas is going down, so despite the fact that Obama can do nothing right and is an incapable clown, he's still able to conspire to lower gas prices right before the election. Better than Bush I'd say, because when gas skyrocketed in 2008 Bush had nothing to do with it, but The One controls all.

On Danny Boy's original post, the gross vote count polls are not that relevant (unfortunately), it's a matter of electoral votes. But, if Gallup is correct, a differential that large should put Mittens over the top.

Let's just hope Mittens does better with the foreign policy debate this evening than he did with his late summer world tour.
Naturally, the common people don't want war, neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But the people can be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for their lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.

Hermann Goering at the Nuremburg Trials
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Even if Romney wins (which seems likely to me) the BS will not stop, it will just move to a slightly different topic.
Some people ain't happy unless they ain't happy.
If Romney wins I don't think the MSM will rag on him as much as FOX has ragged on Obama.

The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy. -Charles de Montesquieu
Old 10-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1369 View Post
If Romney wins I don't think the MSM will rag on him as much as FOX has ragged on Obama.
I agree, but I'm sure you'll get hammered for this blasphemy. Time, as in all things, will tell if your blasphemy becomes true.
Naturally, the common people don't want war, neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But the people can be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for their lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

squidly wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rasmussen is the most accurate and is well within the margin of error. This race is a dead heat.

Get out and vote, your vote will count.
squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The only poll that matters will be taken on Nov. 6th.

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers (Hey, they were free)
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1369 View Post
Your right. Nixon, Ford, Reagan, H.W. Bush, W. Bush were all media darlings! Didn't it just make you sick how the media fawned all over them? They could do nothing wrong. Even today they can't stop singing their praises!
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

I didn't say not fawn, I said not rag. They didn't rag on those fine Repub Prezes. I do wonder what they will do with all the emotional energy they have built up.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this? DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
I just posted the results, I didn't comment on their accuracy except to say that I always favor Gallup. The only vote that matters is Nov. 6, I'm just interested to see who comes the closest to getting it right.

This is today's WP/ABC poll. The likely voter sample is somewhat small.
Obama - 49, Romney - 48, Undecided or Other - 3
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ic-priorities/

It will be interesting to see if the variations between the polls even out after next weekend.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidly View Post
Rasmussen is the most accurate and is well within the margin of error. This race is a dead heat.

Get out and vote, your vote will count.
You need to do a little research Squidly. Rasmussen is the laughing stock of polling organizations. They don't even do their own polling, they outsource it to a robo-calling organization and get answers from whoever answers, including seven year olds. Google rasmussen polling methods if you want to read some funny $hit. Rasmussen is nothing more than a Fox propaganda arm. The reason they always are in their margin of error is that they always have by far the largest margin for error. They're a fukin' joke.

Gallup is honest.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement