Arab democracy? - Page 6 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #76 (permalink)
IronButt

Z16Monte wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
What's the sense in elections then? Those people are elected to represent US.
True, they also take an oath of office that requires them to uphold the Constitution. Ignoring it or unilaterally changing it's meaning is not upholding it. They are free, however, to work within it's framework, or work to amend it properly. if they can't sell the amendment to the states, it doen't stand.
Z16Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #77 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
What's the sense in elections then? Those people are elected to represent US.
We vote to choose our electors, the way the Constitution says we will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Good question. "Those people" stopped representing "US" a long time ago.

Why do we give 545 (thereabouts) people that much control over "US"? Why do we allow these "elitists" the opportunity to lifetime control (Senators and Representatives) over "US"?

And the "Supremes" are NOT elected. They are appointed. In the case of a democratic, liberal administration, that means appointed by an administration I didn't vote for with views completely opposed to my own. By default, that means appointed judges opposed to me.
Those elitists have that much power because that's how a republic works.

Considering the length of tenure for a "Supreme", it is highly unlikely that all justices would ever be appointed by the same administration. Ideally, for checks and balances, some would be appointed during R administrations and some during D administrations. The odd number of justices not only protects against a "tie" decision, but also serves to keep a slight imbalance of R and D justices (not by design but it tends to work that way most of the time). I'm pretty sure it is not the "default" that all justices must oppose BigD. Really, big head much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggerman11 View Post
he's talking about the USA. what's it gonna look like in 6 months. remember, the majority is a minority now.
I think our country has been so subdivided that there is no "majority" anymore.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #78 (permalink)
Cajun Peauxseur

BigD is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Those elitists have that much power because that's how a republic works.
Actually, the design of the republic was such that gentlemen farmers would go to Washington for a couple of years, serve (the operative word) and return to their farms to do their work. It wasn't envisioned as a career opportunity.

The career thing, IMHO, is the problem.

Quote:
Considering the length of tenure for a "Supreme", it is highly unlikely that all justices would ever be appointed by the same administration.
Not all, but the effect is not as unlikely as you would think. If the current administration gets to pick two more justices, as is suspected, then the appointees that ARE liberal, together with the justices that act as liberals, will sway the court in a liberal direction. Also keep in mind that by appointing young justices, a particular administration can "load" the court and that can have a profound long-term effect.

On a side note, I think one must consider that such a court may likely reverse itself on issues such as the recent ruling on the 2nd amendment. I think the notion of a SC reversing the decision of the previous SC is a whole other can of worms we shouldn't debate at the moment.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is not the "default" that all justices must oppose BigD. Really, big head much?
I didn't intend for that to apply to only me, but like minded individuals. I am a solid fiscal conservative and social moderate. I have very little in common with liberals. That doesn't mean we can't be friends; we just avoid things like politics. Sex with female liberals is good though. They're usually pretty kinky!

Quote:
I think our country has been so subdivided that there is no "majority" anymore.
I think there is the majority of the entitled
2014 FLHTCUI "Black Betty" My black mistress!

"Baggers - they're not just for Paw-paws anymore"

My new year resolution: RIDE MORE!!!
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #79 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

Quote:
Actually, the design of the republic was such that gentlemen farmers would go to Washington for a couple of years, serve (the operative word) and return to their farms to do their work. It wasn't envisioned as a career opportunity.

The career thing, IMHO, is the problem.

Quote:
Not all, but the effect is not as unlikely as you would think. If the current administration gets to pick two more justices, as is suspected, then the appointees that ARE liberal, together with the justices that act as liberals, will sway the court in a liberal direction. Also keep in mind that by appointing young justices, a particular administration can "load" the court and that can have a profound long-term effect.

On a side note, I think one must consider that such a court may likely reverse itself on issues such as the recent ruling on the 2nd amendment. I think the notion of a SC reversing the decision of the previous SC is a whole other can of worms we shouldn't debate at the moment.
It certainly is not a perfect system, but its the one we have.

Quote:
I didn't intend for that to apply to only me, but like minded individuals. I am a solid fiscal conservative and social moderate. I have very little in common with liberals. That doesn't mean we can't be friends; we just avoid things like politics. Sex with female liberals is good though. They're usually pretty kinky!
..............................damn! I got nothin'

Quote:
I think there is the majority of the entitled
They only THINK they are entitled.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #80 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this? DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
How to you feel about amendments to the Constitution? Do you feel the government should be allowed to make those amendments?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z16Monte View Post
As long as the process laid out in the Constitution is followed, any amendment passedand approved by the states, is the law, whether I agree with it or not

I have no faith in the Supreme Court to protect the rights of the individual against the Federal Government, it's a conflict of interest. The Supreme Court is just another branch of the same Federal Government that they're supposed to protect us from.

The power in the House of Representatives is the power of the people. The Senate is supposed to be the power of the States. The Executive is supposed to be only be the enforcement of those powers. The Judicial is supposed to only be the arbiter between those powers within the context of the Constitution.

It seldom works out that way. The Judicial has taken on the role of legislators, the Senate is controlled by the Parties, the people's house is dominated by career politicians...and everybody thinks the President runs the Country. - No wonder we're in such a fargin' mess.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #81 (permalink)
Cajun Peauxseur

BigD is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
It certainly is not a perfect system, but its the one we have.
And a whole lot better than most!

Quote:
They only THINK they are entitled.
No, they think... I mean, they know... I mean, think they know!
2014 FLHTCUI "Black Betty" My black mistress!

"Baggers - they're not just for Paw-paws anymore"

My new year resolution: RIDE MORE!!!
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #82 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW View Post

I have no faith in the Supreme Court to protect the rights of the individual against the Federal Government, it's a conflict of interest. The Supreme Court is just another branch of the same Federal Government that they're supposed to protect us from.

The power in the House of Representatives is the power of the people. The Senate is supposed to be the power of the States. The Executive is supposed to be only be the enforcement of those powers. The Judicial is supposed to only be the arbiter between those powers within the context of the Constitution.

It seldom works out that way. The Judicial has taken on the role of legislators, the Senate is controlled by the Parties, the people's house is dominated by career politicians...and everybody thinks the President runs the Country. - No wonder we're in such a fargin' mess.
That pretty well sums it up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement