Health Care Premium increases - Page 9 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Religion & Politics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #121 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I haven't looked at the exact numbers, but my employer told me this week, my insurance costs for next year have gone up.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #122 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this? James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW View Post
Rules?

Blllaaaahhhaaaahhhaa!
Wouldn't you guess your competitors has to pay a 12 percent increase for their health insurance also? They should also have all of the other business expenses required to do the same type of work as you do. I think you just got greedy and bid too much. 25 percent less?
James is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #123 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is still riding a stock bike DJW is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Wouldn't you guess your competitors has to pay a 12 percent increase for their health insurance also? They should also have all of the other business expenses required to do the same type of work as you do. I think you just got greedy and bid too much. 25 percent less?
I think you're clueless.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #124 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this? James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
I think you're clueless.
Hey, don't blame me, the government, or anyone else because you over bid the jobs!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #125 (permalink)
IronButt

boston62 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think if The President wins, you will see a Public Option created to compete with private insurance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com App
boston62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #126 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
I think if The President wins, you will see a Public Option created to compete with private insurance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com App
Perhaps, but it remains to be seen if that competition happens on a level playing field. Something tells me if this happens the deck will be stacked against private insurance.
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding." -Louis D Brandeis
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #127 (permalink)
IronButt

compressor#v wants to know Dino or Syn?
You guys slay me....."health insurance costs going up"
Like that's breaking news. Been on the rise for a dozen years. A couple of those years were double digit inflation for medical costs.

Last edited by compressor#v; 10-12-2012 at 09:51 AM.
compressor#v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #128 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Quote:
I think you're clueless.
I'm not sure what kind of work you are bidding on, but I would go along with about 10% spread seeming normal for general contractors on a building project. I'm not so sure that subs are that close as I don't really get involved in those and by definition, with smaller contracts a $ is a bigger percentage so it may not be out of line to think that there might be a 25% spread.

There are also a lot of unscrupulous contractors (is that an oxymoron?) who will low ball a bid, get the contract, shop the job, and then cut every corner and over price every change order they can get away with to try and make it up. When you get one of those in your area, it is bad for competition. The problem is that if your bidding public work (read tax $) then the low bid must win, even if you know better. I could name a couple of those GC's around here.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #129 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post

There are also a lot of unscrupulous contractors (is that an oxymoron?) who will low ball a bid, get the contract, shop the job, and then cut every corner and over price every change order they can get away with to try and make it up. When you get one of those in your area, it is bad for competition. The problem is that if your bidding public work (read tax $) then the low bid must win, even if you know better. I could name a couple of those GC's around here.
Oh, that could never happen...rules ya' know.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #130 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

Quote:
Hey, don't blame me, the government, or anyone else because you over bid the jobs!
Didn't blame you for anything, other than noting your ignorance of about something you're clearly clueless about.

So, now that I have a moment, let me clear it up for you:

The beer at your Cotsco costs $3/six pack.

The same beer costs $4/six pack at joe's corner market.

That's a difference of 25% isn't it?

Is it because Joe is "greedy?"

No. It's because Joe has to play by "different rules" than Cotsco does, now doesn't he?

And where are you going to buy your six pack? At Cotsco of course (unless you're desperate and out of cigarettes too).

Can Joe "pass his increased health insurance costs" on to his customers? No, he can't. Because he's already at a competitive disadvantage.

"Rules" don't apply, this is business, the strong survive the weak don't (unless of course you're "too big to fail" - and I'm not).

I'm not complaining about being beaten by my competitor. He provides crappy service, and makes his money by cutting corners. But can I pass my insurance rate increases on to my customers? No, I can't...because nobody cares about quality service..they want the bargain priced six packs.

All I'm asking is to get the State out of my insurance plan, so I can bargain for my own rates and my own coverage. The State passes these costs on me and wonders why they just came in dead last in states to do business in.

Last edited by DJW; 10-12-2012 at 04:14 PM.
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #131 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Didn't blame you for anything, other than noting your ignorance of about something you're clearly clueless about.

No. It's because Joe has to play by "different rules" than Cotsco does, now doesn't he?

And where are you going to buy your six pack? At Cotsco of course (unless you're desperate and out of cigarettes too).

Can Joe "pass his increased health insurance costs" on to his customers? No, he can't. Because he's already at a competitive disadvantage.

"Rules" don't apply, this is business, the strong survive the weak don't (unless of course you're "too big to fail" - and I'm not).

I'm not complaining about being beaten by my competitor. He provides crappy service, and makes his money by cutting corners. But can I pass my insurance rate increases on to my customers? No, I can't...because nobody cares about quality service..they want the bargain priced six packs.

All I'm asking is to get the State out of my insurance plan, so I can bargain for my own rates and my own coverage. The State passes these costs on me and wonders why they just came in dead last in states to do business in.
Damn! Now I want a beer.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #132 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Damn! Now I want a beer.
Been drinking those Labatts 52 calories. Frankly not so good, but I figure the whole Cotsco 6-pack is the same calories as just one bottle of Sam Adams Lager. And only $3. (actually we don't even have Cotsco(es?) around here.)
Old 10-13-2012, 02:48 AM   #133 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:

I know how it works DJW. I was just pushing your buttons. I like doing that. I see the advantage my company has over the competition every day. We get awesome discounts on parts because my company buys so much. A small privately owned company may pay close to 600 dollars for a starter and my company pays only about 380. We buy fuel under contract so we can budget in the cost and we're locked in at a certain rate. Sometimes we win big on that deal, rarely do we lose. I personally bought a set of sockets from Grainger and using my employee discount through work I paid 40 bucks for a set that listed for 72 dollars. I don't see how the small business owners manage sometimes and I feel for you. I bet you are a decent guy to work for as I've read how you try your best to provide good benefits for the people working for you.

I actually get great discounts at Cotsco but have never been there. Now that I know they sell beer I'll have to check it out. Then I'll be back to push your buttons some more.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #134 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

Quote:
I know how it works DJW. I was just pushing your buttons. I like doing that.
In that case, I'm "your huckleberry."

My point was only that the cost of government controlled pricing isn't any better than the cost of free market pricing and could very well be worse.

Many of you will be getting the same news as we head into the last weeks of October. For employees it may mean you'll be paying more out of pocket or a larger share of your coverage. It may mean less of a raise than you thought you might be getting. For employers, it's a hard choice: keep your coverage and pass on the costs or drop the coverage. Unless you're one of the few companies that have been able to pile up cash to prepare for the 2014 Obamacare hammer, you'll have to make some very hard decisions.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #135 (permalink)
Banned

RGRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Haha, ya'll got your premium increases, this illegal immigrant got a free new kidney.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3537821.story

Quote:
As an illegal immigrant, Jorge Mariscal waited eight years for a kidney transplant he feared would never come.

His persistence paid off Thursday when he underwent the procedure at Loyola University Medical Center.

After years of uncertainties, Mariscal said he's excited about his future and grateful for the help he received. But he remains frustrated with a health care system that he worries might leave out an untold number of illegal immigrants in need of lifesaving treatments.
I don't think he'll have to worry, only actual citizens will be forced to pay up or else.
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.