V-Twin Forum banner

The official Carolinas thread

88K views 648 replies 96 participants last post by  captainhook455 
#1 ·
I just looked outside and noticed how great it was outside today. Definate riding weather! If I only had my bike back from it's winter make-over. Well I was actualy forced to do so. My front fender got caught by the top lip of a ramp and it was bent up pretty bad. Anyhoo...

I hope i didn't step on any toes by making this thread. I just thought it would be nice to have a centralized location for us NC/SC people. A good place to chat on the happenings here in our area.

Im located in Matthews NC and once my ride is back at my doorstep.. I'm always up for a ride. I hope others in this area find this thread usefull.

#2 ·
Just got back in, was a beautiful day to ride, I burned up a whole tank of gas just thumpin around back roads and hitin the twisties hard up around Statesville and Hickory. Maybe next weekend if its nice we can get a local ride together for the NC/SC folks.

#3 ·
I hope to have my scoot back in a couple of weeks (I pray anyway). Being without your scoot is worse than not owning one at all. :( . Lot of good road out here waiting to be thumped. I'd be up for a ride any day after i get her back. Count me in!

I got three good trips planned this year. God willing they go through. I plan on going to Daytona, Myrtle and Sturgis. Anyone here interested in any of these? We could meet up for them too. :)

#4 ·
I found a local guy who chromes. I'm getting ready to take a few items to him to see how his work pans out. He seems to work mostly on industrial equipment. Well.. thats what his shop looks like. From talking to him, I think he will be relatively cheap. Not sure on his quality, so i'm giving him some test pieces (unknowingly to him). I'll let you guys know how it works out.

#5 ·
There is a Patriot Guard mission this Saturday. Near Ashville. I plan to go, Anybody interested let me know. We can meet up and ride together.

More information on the Patriot Guard Website.

From the NC Captain for Patriot Guard

The service will be held at the Trinity Baptist Church in Asheville on this Saturday the 21st at 2pm. Another memorial service will be held on Monday the 23rd, in Arlington National Cemetery. More detailed info to follow. We need someone in western North Carolina to take the lead "Road Captain" for this ride. I'll contact the VA State Captain for the Arlington service. Please email me if you're in the area and can assist.

Thank you,
Bill "NverOld"
NC State Captain

DoD Identifies Army Casualties

The Department of Defense announced today the death of two soldiers who were supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. They died near Al Sukar, Iraq, on Jan. 13, when their OH-58D Kiowa Warrior helicopter came under attack by enemy forces using small arms fire. Both soldiers were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 10th Aviation Regiment, 10th Mountain Division, Fort Drum, N.Y.

Killed were:

Chief Warrant Officer 3 Mitchell K. Carver, Jr., 31, of Charlotte, N.C.

#6 · (Edited)
I like the idea of this thread for ongoing general conversations. I PM'd Straydog to see if he will make it a sticky.

I still think that for special/specific communications that we make a new thread that begins with "NC/SC". That way we can more easily follow the conversation of the specific topic.

Is this OK with everyone?

#7 ·
Sheriff said:
I like the idea of this thread for ongoing general conversations. I PM'd Straydog to see if he will make it a sticky.

I still think that for special/specific communications that we make a new thread that begins with "NC/SC". That way we can more easily follow the conversation of the specific topic.

Is this OK with everyone?

Sounds like a plan...

#13 ·
joerob49 said:
I've been keeping up with the chatter on the NC/SC threads, so I thought I'd jump in here and say howdy to everybody. It's good to see a thread with local folks doing the talking.

Joe
Welcome Joe! You live in a beautiful area of the state! My cousins grew up in Andrews back in the 70s and early 80s. Love the Nantahala River!!

Maybe we can organize a ride over into your area once it gets a little warmer!

Mark

#14 ·
I'm in Southern Pines and look forward to riding with ya'll some. I split time between sport biking on my Buell and cruising on the Springer. I'm riding the Springer to Daytona. Anybody else riding down? I'm leaving early Friday a.m. on the 9th and returning Monday the 12th.

#15 ·
I took the trip to Ashville for the Patriot Guard ride today. Only four bikes showed up. Bad morning for riding, the first 80 miles was in rain. Then the rain let up and turned out to be a pretty decent day. Road about 350 miles total. Can't complain about the weather. It's almost the end of January and I 'm riding. Cleaning the bike now. I'm not a wash and polish nut on my bike, but it is in sad shape from the rain. Bucket of water, soap, wax, polish, and beer. I'm ready.

I can't wait for Spring~!Awesome!

#16 ·
Bwee! we're stickied!! Thanx jockeyshift!

Jonas, I almost borrowed my buddys bike for the "Patriot Ride" since mine is in "the shop". When I woke up, it was raining pretty good. We'll get up next time hopefully. :D

I'm glad some of us are pretty far apart from eachother. It will make for some good riding this coming season. Hopefully we'll all have a chance to meet eachother and ride. I'm wanting to put some serious miles on my bike this year. So far.. i've got three trips planned. Florida, Myrtle and NY. God willing.. i'll make it to all three of them.

Cheers Everyone!

#18 ·
Sheriff... Thanks for the welcome
I wish Bear Creek was near the Nantahala River, one of my favorite places, but unfortunately it ain't. It's about half way between Charlotte and Raleigh. Don't matter though, I'm still up for some ridin'.

Sprung... Man you're just down the road a bit. I got my bike from Sandhills HD. Is your springer a classic or softail? I've got a riding buddy that's got a softail springer. Nice riding bike.

Hope to meet ya'll on the road someday..

Joe

#19 · (Edited)
joerob49 said:
I wish Bear Creek was near the Nantahala River, one of my favorite places, but unfortunately it ain't. It's about half way between Charlotte and Raleigh.
Wow...there are two Bear Creeks in North Carolina! The Bear Creek I was talking about is sorta half way between Andrews and Robbinsville. Oh well, maybe we can get together sometime and visit the "other" Bear Creek!!

Mark

#20 ·
joerob49 said:
I've been keeping up with the chatter on the NC/SC threads, so I thought I'd jump in here and say howdy to everybody. It's good to see a thread with local folks doing the talking.

Joe[/QUOTE

Welcome aboard/thread! It appears that we will be having some very good local rides organized here in VTF. We have already had our first NC/SC VTF ride and im sure the next isnt very far away. Watch the thread for any upcoming rides.

#21 ·
Sheriff said:
Wow...there are two Bear Creeks in North Carolina! The Bear Creek I was talking about is sorta half way between Andrews and Robbinsville. Oh well, maybe we can get together sometime and visit the "other" Bear Creek!!

Mark
I've spent alot of time camping up around Joyce Kilmer, just a little bit out of Robbinsville. I do have to agree, It's God's Country. I'm going to try and make the rally at Cherokee this spring, just might have to do a day excursion back to that neck of the woods.

#22 ·
Howdy neighbors, Charlotte here, work alot in Matthews and spend lots of scooter time in the hills from Blowing Rock all the way to Deals Gap. Got me some ride time in Thursday and Friday but parked her the weekend.( gettin old I guess). This time of year I usually split my time between ridin and fishin, but this weekend sucked for doing either. Ride safe and gimme a hollar when the weather improves. laters

#23 ·
Jonas said:
Silly we will defenilty do some riding. When you getting your bike back?
I'll have it re-registered this coming week. I took it off of reg when I dropped it and messed up my front fender against a deck post. :crying: I knew i wouldnt ride it like so.. and cash flow was a little slow. I've got the fender off the bike now and i've got some parts off getting chromed too. Once the parts come back and my fender has been repaired and painted.. I'll be back in riding shape. I'd say a couple weeks. Hopefully! :chopper: ~!Awesome!

#24 ·
Here is a little info about an upcoming event. I will post more details when they become available:

Event: Hendrick Charity Ride II
Date: Sunday, April 23, 2006
Location: Starting location will be at (or near) Ricky Hendrick Performance Honda.

Last year there were approx. 1600 motorcycles that attended the event. They raised a little over $65K for the Nazareth Children's Home and the Family Center TreeTop's Campaign. They are shooting for $100K+ for this event. The ride last year ended at Hendrick Motorsports. Details of this year's event are currently being finalized.:coffee:

Mark your calendars.....and Stay Tuned for more info!

Mark:cheers:

#26 ·
Sheriff said:
Here is a little info about an upcoming event. I will post more details when they become available:

Event: Hendrick Charity Ride II
Date: Sunday, April 23, 2006
Location: Starting location will be at (or near) Ricky Hendrick Performance Honda.

Last year there were approx. 1600 motorcycles that attended the event. They raised a little over $65K for the Nazareth Children's Home and the Family Center TreeTop's Campaign. They are shooting for $100K+ for this event. The ride last year ended at Hendrick Motorsports. Details of this year's event are currently being finalized.:coffee:

Mark your calendars.....and Stay Tuned for more info!

Mark:cheers:
Sounds good, got the calander marked...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.