shovelhead to FXR tranny : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Pre-Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

pedenspeed wants to know Dino or Syn?
shovelhead to FXR tranny

Well I will try to make this as short as possible, but still try and give what ever detail is needed. Long story short, I am building a custom trike and it is my first attempt. I rebuilt a shovelhead engine which is in the frame and am now attempting to put a FXR transmission in. First off, I say it is a FXR transmission, but to be honest, I got it off ebay and the person that sold it to me said it was a '84 FLH. I can find no numbers persay on the transmission to tell me the year or anything about it. I have had an old timer look at it here in town and he thought it came off a dyna, however a inner primary from a dyna did not fit. My first question is, I need to get a clutch set up for it, is there a way to tell what year of FXR tranny it is or is there even a difference in years of the FXR clutch baskets and hubs? Second question is, I need a minimum of 13 1/2 inches between engine shaft and tranny shaft, 14 inches would be better though. Will I need custom belt for the drive, or is there something out there that will work for my application? Any help anyone can give me is very much appreciated. I will continue to scour the net for answers in the meantime.
pedenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

baggersport wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wow, can you post a pick of the tranny? Is it a 5 speed? What sort of frame/mounts are available? I'm assuming it has a taper on the mainshaft, vs. a spline. What sort of mount is on the rear of the trans. case?

Big Boyz Street Heads
207-242-8374 Cell Phone
207-621-8089 Port/Dyno Shop
baggersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Ka-Ka wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
is there even a difference in years of the FXR clutch baskets and hubs?
If it's a 5-speed, years '80-early'84 would have the 3-bolt dry plate settup like the one on the right in the below pic-

During '84 the FXR's changed to the 5-bolt and a wet clutch. I have one of the rare '84's with the dry Shovel 5-speed transmision mated to the newly released Evolution. My inner primary is probably the one you need. I simply order parts for '83 FXRT's when I need them. This way the year change doesn't mess things up.

Quote:
What sort of mount is on the rear of the trans. case?
Yes. Does the swingarm pivot bolt run through the rear of the transmission? Is the oil filter mount on the bottom rear of the transmission? This is how mine's set up, w/chain driven primary & final drive.

If you need I can take photos or get numbers/measurments from mine. I'm in the middle of disassembly for a tranny rebuild so everything is open. Let me know.

Last edited by Ka-Ka; 02-03-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Ka-Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well as far as mounts go, I will be fabricating most everything. The mounts that are on the frame are to attach a original servicar tranny which I will be somewhat using for the front mount, but modified. It is a 5-speed tranny and yes has a spline shaft. Here are some pictures of the transmission, if you need more, just ask and I shall snap.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Man measurements would be great if it isnt too much trouble. I would love to just buy a inner primary cover but was afraid I wouldnt be able to find one that was gonna fit, so was preparing to fabricate my own flat plate, and run an open belt drive. Basically I just need to know if the shafts are atleast 13 1/2 inches apart, anything less wont work, but anything equal to or greater, I can make work. Also the swing arm pivot bolt does go thru the rear of the transmission, and yes it also has the filter on the bottom rear.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

baggersport wants to know Dino or Syn?
It's an early 5 speed with the removable front mount. You have a tapered mainshaft, (splined went into service in '90). If you use the stock front mount for the case, it will bolt to your engine. Then fabricate the rear to the frame. This will allow the use of a stock spec. inner primary for a rubbermount FLT/FXR of the proper vintage, or maybe a belt.

Big Boyz Street Heads
207-242-8374 Cell Phone
207-621-8089 Port/Dyno Shop
baggersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Ka-Ka wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Basically I just need to know if the shafts are atleast 13 1/2 inches apart
center-to-center is 11 1/4".
Engine is bolted to transmission.
I have the tapered shaft style with the key.
Ka-Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok so it sounds like it is a '84 like the person who sold it to me says, now the problem is the mounting or actually the inner primary. I am attaching another picture, and hopefully you can tell that the downtube of the frame goes all the way down to the lower frame tubes, because of this I cant attach the tranny to the engine. I was thinking of cutting out part of the downtube and re-fabbing it to make it work, but I am not sure even that will work. Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement