locked up motor : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Pre-Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
Unhappy locked up motor

76 shovel,motor just rebuilt ran 15 seconds and locked up.nothing broke in gear case.the only thing i can think of is not enough end play.any idea's?motor going back to guy that rebuilt it and he's going to take care of it no problem he said,but still what a pain in the ass to have to pull it out again.
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

shovelmike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bummer

Too bad about the engine locking up, but I'm glad the wrench is doing the right thing and backing it up.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks wants to know Dino or Syn?
could be a multitude of things...this wrench got a shop or just playing in his garage?

I'd be pissed
cwilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

this is an indy shop .the bike is a friend of mines,we'll know more later this week
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did he install the motor in the bike? Oil lines hooked up correctly?

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!

Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Might be ring bind. Didn't gap the rings correctly and they bound. That was my first thought

I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Not oil problem. They will run much longer with no pumped oil.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

my buddy talked to shop yesterday and they said they were going to start bike today.it's hard for me to believe the pulled motor on monday tore it down and rebuilt it and are going to have it running on thursday.this inculdes spiltting the cases. i not buying this story.i'll keep updating as more information comes up.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Dan89FLSTC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
it's hard for me to believe the pulled motor on monday tore it down and rebuilt it and are going to have it running on thursday.this inculdes spiltting the cases. i not buying this story.i'll keep updating as more information comes up.
Four days is way more than enough time...it`s a Shovelhead, not a 747...
Dan89FLSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC View Post
Four days is way more than enough time...it`s a Shovelhead, not a 747...
this is the same shop that took 3 months to go though it before.he needs to question them alittle more as to what they did.they were telling him the supply oil line was slightly pinched.i told them you could take the oil lines and oil tank off and put them in the trunk of your car and the engine should run longer than 15 seconds.i know you are suppose to put 1 pint of oil in the nosecone before putting lifter blocks on and this motor was bone dry,i did'nt even see any assembly lube in it.makes a person wonder ?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
this is the same shop that took 3 months to go though it before.he needs to question them alittle more as to what they did.they were telling him the supply oil line was slightly pinched.i told them you could take the oil lines and oil tank off and put them in the trunk of your car and the engine should run longer than 15 seconds.i know you are suppose to put 1 pint of oil in the nosecone before putting lifter blocks on and this motor was bone dry,i did'nt even see any assembly lube in it.makes a person wonder ?
sounds like a shop i would not be going back to.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

update! my friend talked to shop and they said they put a wrench on the motor and got it to turn over and has good compression ran motor 3 times and said all is good,i asked him what they said caused the motor to lockup in the first place and they told him it got real hot real quick and just quit.that motor was locked up tight when i seen it.they said the bearings and everything are fine in it.there is no way everythings fine something locked it up,a bearing, piston.i don't know how they would know if you don't tear it down and look.they also told him that the fitting on the bottom of the oil tank was slightly plugged up.there is no way he had oil tank off of bike.i'm not buying any of this crap.before he got out of there they talked him into letting them rebuild his trans,unbelieveable.i think his momma must have dropped him on his head when he was little.what do you guys think about a shop that does this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement