oil pump pinion gear ?'s : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Pre-Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

hd1452 wants to know Dino or Syn?
oil pump pinion gear ?'s

I HAVE AN 87' FXRS-SP THAT HAS TAKEN ME 3 YEARS TO RESURRECT. ITS MY FIRST BUILD AND WITH LIMITED FUNDS I EVEN WENT AS FAR AS TRADING MY PICK-UP TRUCK FOR A MOTOR. I SCORED A SHOVELUTION.... SHOVEL BOTTOM, EVO TOP. THE PERSON WHO HAD BUILT THE MOTOR OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T DO THEIR MATH RIGHT WHEN CHOOSING THE VALVETRAIN. SO I'M IN THE PROCESS REPAIRING THE DAMAGE AND PUTTING IN COMPONENTS OF MY CHOICE. WHILE I WAS PUTTING THE CAM AND TAPPETS IN AND DOING MY INSPECTION OF OTHER PARTS I NOTICED THAT I CAN MOVE THE OIL PUMP PINION GEAR BACK AND FORTH ON THE PINION SHAFT ABOUT A 1/4" (GIVE OR TAKE SOME). IS THIS NORMAL OR SHOULD THERE BE A SPACER IN THERE TO HOLD IT STILL?

~THANX
hd1452 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Motor-Psycho wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sound like the snap ring on the other end of the oil pump drive shaft popped off. The pinion gear should have a little bit of play, but not 1/4". If the shaft was moving with the gear, pull the oil pump cover and check the end of the shaft.

Edit: Sorry about that. There should be a spacer between the pump drive gear and the pinion gear. Sounds like way too much walking to me

Last edited by Motor-Psycho; 05-28-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Motor-Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

thats what i figured, i didn't seem right with all that movement. thanks for the info.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Are you sure about the whole "Shovel bottom" thing? A manual would help if you don't have some kind of Super Frankenstein motor (which, by the way, I would love to see). Bottom ends should be mechanically the same in the cam chest, but I'm an old Shovel guy and I don't want to point you in the wrong direction.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

60195 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Please pay no mind to anything the phyco motor guy says. He is dispensing crap all over the place.

Shovelutions are not that uncommon. Good build actually. Axtell can make a cylinder to fit almost any combination of base pattern to almost any head.

From the pics it look like the OP has Axtell cast iron cylinders with short shovel style cylinder studs. Might not be an actual shovelution.

Back to the oil pump. The cam chests on later shovels and early evo engines is exactly the same.

The OP says he can move the gear on the pinion shaft about a 1/4". The snap ring idea is crap.

The oil pump gear on the pinion shaft will move a bunch, that is normal. Not necessarily .250", but it is supposed to move.

Does your engine look sort of like this:

60195 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by econnor View Post
Please pay no mind to anything the phyco motor guy says. He is dispensing crap all over the place.

Hey moron. I post my opinion about paying for this site and you get all over my a$$ about it. Now you're following me around and telling people to ignore me.

You're an idiot.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Please pay no mind to anything the phyco motor guy says. He is dispensing crap all over the place...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor-Psycho View Post
Hey moron....

You're an idiot.
2. Flaming or harassing other members will not be tolerated.... Disagreements must be done in a tasteful, respectful manner. General forum disruption will not be tolerated.

If you disagree with someone or have an alternative suggestion post it WITHOUT attacking the other person. This is the 2nd thread I have intervene. This is a technical forum NOT R&P. If you want to fight PM each other. This is the last warning.
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2010, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

yup, i have the axtell iron cylinders with evo heads with head work. i think im missing a spacer between them two pinion gears. i didnt build this motor but it just didnt seem right. the motor had zero miles on it when i got it, under the assumption that i could drop it in and go....... false info. the guy who built it put too big of a cam in it without putting in matching parts that would accept the cam. and did quite a bit of damage to my valvetrain. while i was repairing that mess i noticed all the movement in the oil pump pinion gear. just when i thought i moved 10 steps foward..... i'm now taking another 5 steps backwards. no biggie though, easy fix as long as it didnt screw up the pump. thanks again. and cool your jets guys we're all here for a common interest haha
Old 05-31-2010, 02:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

speedean wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Shovelutions are not that uncommon. Good build actually. Axtell can make a cylinder to fit almost any combination of base pattern to almost any head.

From the pics it look like the OP has Axtell cast iron cylinders with short shovel style cylinder studs. Might not be an actual shovelution.

Back to the oil pump. The cam chests on later shovels and early evo engines is exactly the same.

The OP says he can move the gear on the pinion shaft about a 1/4". The snap ring idea is crap.

The oil pump gear on the pinion shaft will move a bunch, that is normal. Not necessarily .250", but it is supposed to move.

Does your engine look sort of like this:

That is one very attractive looking engine.All meat and no potatoes as one of my friends would say.
speedean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.