Timing The Old Pan : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Pre-Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Scooter wants to know Dino or Syn?
Timing The Old Pan

I've timed my late model ('64) panhead a thousand times, but I'm having a little trouble this time.

It's a dual point and I bought a baggy full of "NOS" points on eBay which may be just the early Chevy sets (should work anyway).

But, the front set won't open enough to gap at the current distributor adjustment range (the old points were just fine here) so I just timed both sets like the rear cylinder, leaving a pretty big gap at the high point on the cam.

Starts hard and doesn't seem to have as much power as it should.

Any suggestions?
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ironmikezero wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool Dual Point headaches...

'64 is the last year for a panhead manual advance dual-point distributor, with the single lobe cam for use with twin single lead 6v (separate) coils. It was a bit of a bitch to time back then, too...

Point gap is .022 for both sets of points. Set front cylinder (marked "F" on base) first; then, set the rear... Note: always check ignition timing whenever double circuit breaker points are adjusted since any change in rear contact point gap affects ignition timing.

Set timing as per manual for dual point circuit breaker.

Problems seen most often...

Distributor installed wrong (misaligned, 180* off, etc.)
Wrong/bent distributor shaft (impossible to properly set gaps)
Wrong cam (dual lobes rather than single lobe)
Wrong coils (dual lead vs single lead, 12v vs 6v, etc.)
Wrong points (some early Chevy points work - but not all)
Bad or misaligned condensers (contact housing)

All this assumes you are using OEM parts, of course... 'Sorry, but I don't have the part numbers for the D-P application.

Last edited by ironmikezero; 09-04-2008 at 05:16 PM.
ironmikezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Scooter wants to know Dino or Syn?
I guess what I'm asking is:
What's the problem with gapping the front points significantly higher than .022 (since the rear points typically are) as long as the timing is correct?
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

dremelts wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I guess what I'm asking is:
What's the problem with gapping the front points significantly higher than .022 (since the rear points typically are) as long as the timing is correct?
Gap determines dwell time. If your gap is increased it will decrease the dwell time, thus decreasing the amount of time that the coil has to build up a charge. I would think that it would also make the timing different on the two cylinders - one may be correct but the other will be too advanced or retarded...

...but I could be wrong.
02 FLHTC
dremelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

nmaineron wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your timing won't be affected if you set your points to open at the correct time.The dwell as stated earlier will be affected and will weaken your spark because of less time to recover.

How much can you get the front point set to open.I believe if you can get .018 on the front and get it to break right you will be fine.

Been awhile since I've done duals.

Harleys original attempt at single fire ignition....
nmaineron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement