Backfiring through S&S carb : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Pre-Evolution Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

JoeShovel wants to know Dino or Syn?
Backfiring through S&S carb

OK, 1966 74" shovelhead with Mallorery electronic ign, S&S super E shorty carb...

Was running fine with no problems at all and now it is backfiring through the carb very badly. Feels like one cylinder is not firing at all. This all started after I went to the gas station and put in lower octane due to them not having higher octane.

Here is what I have done so far to no avail:

I have drained out all of the bad gas from the tank and carb, put new plugs in, verified that I'm getting spark to the bad cylinder, adjusted timing...

I'm at a loss at this point. Every electronic component was replaced and rebuilt over the summer so I'm only left to think it is a mechanical issue which I hope it isn't.

Any thoughts?
1973 FX frame chopped in the rear with rigid welded in place. Bottom end is 58 panhead topped with 66 shovelhead. S&S super E carb, Andrew B grind cam. 73 4spd trans. Kick and Electric start... A bobber fo sho
JoeShovel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
XLIII

MegaGlide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Are the plug wires new?
If not, check to see if the one going to the non-firing cylinder is rubbed through somewhere and shorting intermittently as the engine vibrates.

Sherlyn Popelka DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive Arrest Reports HERE:
http://www.sherlynpopelka.net/
MegaGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Altered States

Waffen is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Manifold leak, carb jets plugged up with some debris.

W
Waffen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffen View Post
Manifold leak, carb jets plugged up with some debris.

W
How would I go about cleaning this?
1973 FX frame chopped in the rear with rigid welded in place. Bottom end is 58 panhead topped with 66 shovelhead. S&S super E carb, Andrew B grind cam. 73 4spd trans. Kick and Electric start... A bobber fo sho
Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
NAPA sells a good carb cleaner kit. Very agressive cleaning solution.
Scott
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Altered States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShovel View Post
How would I go about cleaning this?

First to the manifold. If you can get it running, spray some WD40 where the manifold is bolted to the jugs. If you notice a change in idle or how it runs you may have a leak which creates a lean environment which you experience as the backfiring through the carb.

To clean the carb, personally I think it's best to take it off the bike, pull it apart and clean it throughly and don't forget to check the float.

I don't know your carb specifically but you should be able to find a manual showing the schematics which will help. Also if you do take the carb apart it might be a good idea to change the o rings and gaskets.

W
Old 09-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Could anything else besides this create a backfire though.... I guess I'm just worried that I have a stuck valve or something...

I was informed that:

backfire though pipes = carb

backfire through carb = ignition.

Is this true?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Altered States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShovel View Post
Could anything else besides this create a backfire though.... I guess I'm just worried that I have a stuck valve or something...

I was informed that:

backfire though pipes = carb, Rich condition to much gas valves possible

backfire through carb = ignition. Lean condition, leak, plugged jet, jetted incorrectly and quite possibly ignition.

Is this true?
Timing might also be off.

W
Old 09-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffen View Post
Timing might also be off.

W
Ok, this is something I was also thinking but should I advance or retard...?

I would think by retarding it, it would still be too lean if that is the case.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
OUCH! That hurt

wfolarry wants to know Dino or Syn?
Putting in 87 octane could make it backfire as it would appear to be lean. Putting premium in should have solved this. Did you do anything else [play with timing, jets etc.] when it was backfiring to try & correct it before you took it apart?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Well it was 89 octane that I put in it and drained it all out and put in fresh 93. Now, when I was stuck on the side of the road I did play with timing but have since put it back to where it was. It is very hard to start now. Have not had the time to play with it that much this weekend. Hopefully more this week since it is going to be nice.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

Ltsulli1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check to make sure your stator and rotor is charging the bike... With the bike running put a meter on your battery and rev it up to about 2k rpm watch the meter and make sure the voltage spikes up to around 12.9vdc if it doesn't move then your stator is bad or your regulator... No way to test regulator but you can test the stator by pulling the plug off the motor where the regulator plug into it.... You should have continuity between both posts of stator... Then each post to ground should have no continuity if it does anything different your state or is bad! Good luck
Ltsulli1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltsulli1 View Post
Check to make sure your stator and rotor is charging the bike... With the bike running put a meter on your battery and rev it up to about 2k rpm watch the meter and make sure the voltage spikes up to around 12.9vdc if it doesn't move then your stator is bad or your regulator... No way to test regulator but you can test the stator by pulling the plug off the motor where the regulator plug into it.... You should have continuity between both posts of stator... Then each post to ground should have no continuity if it does anything different your state or is bad! Good luck
This thread is 4 years old. I hope he has it fixed by now.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Ltsulli1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
But there are always people with simalar problems just hoping to help the next person is all!
Ltsulli1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

Billyroyjoebobj wants to know Dino or Syn?
new to forum, Your exactly right about others having this problem. It is the same thing i've been going through. Differences are I built my bike to look like a '58. It's on a '66 frame ('53 fle w/std heads & s&s super e. Thanks for tips. will get on with it this weekend.
Billyroyjoebobj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.