Stopping techniques : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Police Motor Unit General Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Old Coot wants to know Dino or Syn?
Stopping techniques

Question for motor officers. When y'all are trained, are you taught to keep your right foot on the brake until a complete stop. Or take your foot off the brake,using only the frt. brake at the last few feet and put both feet down together? What is considered the correct way to stop? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I know this sounds like a very basic question since everybody learns to stop in some manner the first time they ride. I was just curious how motor officers are taught. MSF says use both brakes to a complete stop, RLAP says frt. brake at the end and both feet down together. I use both methods, depending on if my frt. wheel is going to be straight or not. I guess a lot of people say just do what works for you. Y'all have a good day.

Last edited by Old Coot; 09-16-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Neil wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is no "correct" answer for this based on the constantly changing variables in everyday riding. I used one or both depending on the braking force needed under the circumstances. Sometimes my left foot is down sometimes my right; depends on what is needed, road/ground surfaces etc... Motor officers are taught threshold braking. That is maximum braking, both front and rear, before wheel lockup. In most riding situations I use mostly the front brake. Depending on who you talk to or read the front brakes can account for 80% or more of your overall braking force. Use what method provides maximum braking control for the situation and maximum safety. If you need to put both feet down then do so; if you need to cover the rear brake to keep the bike from rolling then do so.

Safe riding,

Neil
RDMC
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
There is no "correct" answer for this based on the constantly changing variables in everyday riding. I used one or both depending on the braking force needed under the circumstances. Sometimes my left foot is down sometimes my right; depends on what is needed, road/ground surfaces etc... Motor officers are taught threshold braking. That is maximum braking, both front and rear, before wheel lockup. In most riding situations I use mostly the front brake. Depending on who you talk to or read the front brakes can account for 80% or more of your overall braking force. Use what method provides maximum braking control for the situation and maximum safety. If you need to put both feet down then do so; if you need to cover the rear brake to keep the bike from rolling then do so.

Safe riding,

Neil
RDMC
Very well said.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
When stopped what ever works for you.. any other braking events
1. Smooth even planned stop applying front and rear brake results in no
surprises
2. Quick reaction to someone else dumb move heavy on front and rear nose down a bit. Most often results in a missed event no harm done.
3. O NO moment full on brakes bike thrown in quick avoidance often ends with road rash, and body damage to one or more vehicles .
Option one thur three often depend on you.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

rcarlton wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with the information but my 2 cents --- Use the front brake as stated and learn to utilize both in all situations. I know guys who've ended up going down due to situations that resulted in hitting the rear brake too hard in a quick stop action (high side etc.). If the front were applied properly with the rear they would have maintained control. It's easy to do especially since many drive Cagers more often than their bikes.

'07 FLTRI
SE Air
V&H Fuel PAK
IDS Drive
V&H Slash Cut Slip-On Mufflers
Chrome Add-ons
Mustang Seat
Flame Theme Addons
rcarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Keep the rubber side down

nixdad wants to know Dino or Syn?
Front brake for most of your normal braking. As you slow, say to 10mph and below, use the rear brake lightly. When stopped, one foot on the ground holding front brake. When taking off, throttle, light brake pressure on rear. It's easier at slow speeds to use the rear brake to control the bike, especially if you're making tight radius turns.

Nixdad
Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner
nixdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Blue Knights MO III

dougbk wants to know Dino or Syn?
They taught us to use both brakes and only put down the left foot maintaining the right on the brake. I use mostly the front brake and only use the rear when I need maximum stopping power.

2006 Ultra Black Cherry/ Black Pearl
88", Thundermax AT, Andrews 26G
SE 6-Speed
Rush 1.75", K&N Air

1989 FLHTC
Blue Knight Special (#75 of 75)
89" S&S Stroker, Mikuni HSR 42
dougbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I use the Fred Flintstone method......I drag my feet.
webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ktd1597 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I use both brakes to threshold brake, but be aware that if the rear locks up you'll need to keep it on when the bike's rear end kicks out. When normally riding I always use my front brake almost exclusively. The reason I do so is that when an emergency occurrs and I apply the rear brake I will already be on the front brake and be on it harder. It's easier to "stand" on the rear pedal vs. pulling the brake lever so you will almost certainly over apply the rear brake. I find it is worse with my Harley due to the big pedal vs. the small lever on my RTP.

Most importantly PRACTICE YOUR EMERGNECY braking before it's an emergency!
ktd1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement