V-Twin Forum banner

Why police model?

50K views 110 replies 85 participants last post by  BT2 Zeke 
#1 ·
Hey Im not trying to offend anyoneand not knocking your bike of choice!!

But to me as biker the last thing i would want is bike thats in anyway ralted to cops.I'm just asking question why did you choose police model bike.
Like I said this is meant to offend.Hey if enjoy it ride it that the point of spending all this money.

#2 ·
I ride a black and white

no offense taken,,, but here is why I ride a copper chopper,

1) Its soo ugly its beautiful!
2) It’s a road king at 3/4 the price
3) Thus, it’s now payed for,
4) Its under a factory warranty

No I am not a cop,,, but sometimes they wave...

Go ride those other girly dressed up RKs if you want,, or maybe you want a radio,,, I want mine payed for so I can party all night and not have to worry bout my payment on the 1st.

I guess everyone is their own,,, I like the chrome on the RKs too but It doesn't fit me,,, I am more of a party all weekend guy

Finn

#7 ·
no offense taken,,, but here is why I ride a copper chopper,

1) Its soo ugly its beautiful!
2) It’s a road king at 3/4 the price
3) Thus, it’s now payed for,
4) Its under a factory warranty

No I am not a cop,,, but sometimes they wave...

Go ride those other girly dressed up RKs if you want,, or maybe you want a radio,,, I want mine payed for so I can party all night and not have to worry bout my payment on the 1st.

I guess everyone is their own,,, I like the chrome on the RKs too but It doesn't fit me,,, I am more of a party all weekend guy

Finn

X2 !!! What he said :)

#13 ·
I agree:
Got mine w/ 500 miles 4000 off floor model all Special Editions are just Shrine models painted a differant color. and the tags easy to remove. As a retired Fire capt I could of got a red one for a price! instead painted it my way. What makes a biker ? patchs& pins or the love of rideing.

#5 ·
People stay out of your way.

remember that most of the custom chops in the 60s-70s started out as police bikes, so we are just keeping the ball rolling.

#6 ·
With the exception of my Ultra and Softail, all of my bikes have been former Cop bikes.
Never made a bit of difference to me, by the time I get done making it mine, you would never know any way except by reading the vin..

As was said earlier, back in the 60's cop auctions were the only place us broke Scooter Trash could afford to buy a reasonably decent bike.

My FXR was originaly a CHP bike, only 77 made in 87, and has a vin unique to CHP bikes.

#10 ·
Two of my friends have them. I've ridden one of these bikes on a day trip. Very comfortable ergonomics of the seat and the handlebar really fit me well. Top that with the great prices and it a tough deal to beat. What really surprises me is so many people remove the cop seat. Those are amazingly comfortable and I think they look great. Take off the radio rack and mount the air tank in one of the saddlebags, perfect!

#25 ·
What really surprises me is so many people remove the cop seat. Those are amazingly comfortable and I think they look great. Take off the radio rack and mount the air tank in one of the saddlebags, perfect!
I took off my air ride seat. Although the ride was plush, the riding position was far from ideal. I didn't like how it pushed me up against the tank, and how high I was sitting. Great for around the parking lot, lousy for out on the road. The seat itself isn't hideously ugly, but that $2 plastic tray over the battery box is inexcusable. So I could try and move the seat back and down, hide the air tank and fabricate up a proper battery cover.....

or replace the whole mess with a proper Corbin solo.

solved.

#12 · (Edited)
My 06 FLHPT was a great deal from the dealership, the local department bought all new BMW bikes and traded their HD line. I bought my HD from my local BMW dealer, they treat me great too. I like the looks of the black and white bike, I like that the bike has a "past" unlike the bikes from the dealer floor. And one last thing, the police that I deal with really do respect the military and the military families, I just happen to have 22 years with the USCG and a brother who is "on the job" with the NYPD, also a reservist in the military and rides too.

#16 ·
I would not trade mine for any other bike. Couple changes and it becomes unique.

As far being related to cops. Who cares, I seldomly have cops bother me. When they have, I was doing something stupid. Live and learn

#20 ·
I did a 1500 mile trip in four days with the air ride seat, I must admit the seat was great, the lack of back support however lead me to replace the seat with a stock FLH seat, I have done a few 400 mile rides on the stock seat with a backrest and I also like this seat. But any way you cut it the police bikes are awsome, My local dealer has a 2010 FLHTPI for $17000 with 5 miles on the clock, this is a great deal on a "new" bike.

#21 ·
I take no offense, but why would you be so averse to anything to do with cops?

As for buying a police EG in '05, it was significantly cheaper than a EG Standard or Classic and the cost differential continues. Newer models come stock with 103" and oil cooler.

Though I didn't know it when I bought mine (as it was my first motorcycle in 40 years), it has been a blank canvas and modifying it over the past five years has been a big part of my enjoyment of owning it and riding it 55K miles.

#22 ·
Like all have stated they are the best deal on a new or relatively new bike, other than a couple changes. I am still about 5k ahead of buying something that ain't cop related. Got my 07 FLHTP, with a 103, abs, security system, oil cooler, and only 150 miles (demo model) for 15K... nothing close to it in the civilian line for the money

#27 ·
They are the same motor other than from 07 and up they are 103 cu. The 08 and up have electronic compression releases and the 07's had a recall to install them after numerous starter issues.

We do not idle them for long periods of time, unless you want to lunch an engine.

#24 ·
1. they have 103"s instead of 96"s
2. not really, except sometimes there are modified maps for the fuel injection
3. yes

#26 ·
Oh, that's an easy question to answer... It's the seat... Supposedly, it also has an updated electrical system, so if you are running more lights, it will handle it. But that is secondary to the seat in my opinion. I also have a 150+ mph sportbike and even though it is relatively comfortable at high speeds, the seat and foot peg position just do not agree with these old bones. Mine (2006 FLHPI) is solid white (except for the side covers under the seat) and initially, I thought that I was going to repaint it, but the paint was in such good shape that it kind of grew on me.

#29 ·
A friend bought a used 1 year old peace officer model, two tone blue. He learned that it was invisible to radar.:)

As far as the regular cop bikes are concerned, I was down in Daytona a few months back and they had about 2 dozen used police bikes on sale. Some had very, very low mileage and were selling for a song. I told a retired friend of mine about it and he is going to take a look see when he is in the neighborhood.

They are great bikes to customize.

#30 ·
an acquaintance of mine rides with a 3 piece patch,on an old cop bike..he left the lettering on the bags,with the "PO" removed so it says "lice".they do have nice spring seats on em,and the newer ones have the bigger engine.

#31 ·
I bought min in 08 I bought an 06 with a 2 up seat and new tires for 14995. it had 5,000 miles on it. Fully serviced by Seacoast Harley in New Hampshire, they lease to many towns in the New England area.
Mine is Black and White, not too many of them in the area.
Today I am having new tires put on. I decided to go with wide white walls. Can't wait to see what it looks like..

This coming Sunday Seacoast Harley is hosting the 2010 police motor officer skills competition on Sunday from 9 to 5. It is free and open to the public. I may try and swing by for a bit. here is a link.
http://www.seacoastharley.com/default.asp?page=promotions

#32 ·
why police bike?

Got mine new off the floor in '05 with 12 miles. had the air ride removed and put on a comfort stitch seat and rode it like that for a bout a year. Decided to try the air ride, never went back and sold the comfort stitch. Got a Mustang passenger pillion for the old lady. With that and the tour pak on she is still very comfortable and does not sit up so high. i like that it keeps the C.G. low. 26000 on it now and never had any problem. Love the ABS, saved my butt a couple of times. Can ride 1000 miles with no monkey butt. Still stock other than true duals. Keeps up with my buddies that have put all sorts of $ into motor work and I get better mileage. Bigger alternator for running accessories. Still no wear on cam tensioners. The only thing I don't like are the idiots who will lock up their brakes or something stupid like that because they might think you are a cop for a second. beautiful blank canvas to work with. I have left mine stock. I like that clean un cluttered look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.