Radio wiring harness : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Police Motor Unit General Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

semicop wants to know Dino or Syn?
Radio wiring harness

Does any one know if the police models come with the wiring harness for a radio? If not how much does one cost? This is for a FLHTP model.
semicop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by semicop View Post
Does any one know if the police models come with the wiring harness for a radio? If not how much does one cost? This is for a FLHTP model.

I know that the ones through 06 don't. the wiring is much different, If you want to wire up a stock HD radio, you have a big job ahead of you.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

semicop wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul View Post
I know that the ones through 06 don't. the wiring is much different, If you want to wire up a stock HD radio, you have a big job ahead of you.

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. Sounded like a lot of work. Just need to know before I plunk down cash for a used radio.
semicop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Harleypingman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here's a write-up on what was necessary for handlebar controls of a headunit on my '04 FLHTPI. If you use an HD headunit, you won't need the Biketronics interface unit--after I did mine, I did a buddy's '06 TPI using a '98-'02 HD headunit with CB:

http://www.hdforums.com/m_1557679/tm.htm

Yes, it's a lot of work (definitely not a plug 'n play)--but guys will spend as much time rebuilding a motor and doing other things to their rides. For me, it was time well spent as I get a lot of use out of the handlebar controls of the stereo when riding.

CMA, Crossties Chapter (GA)
IBA 26580
2004 FLHTPX
Harleypingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

wedjim wants to know Dino or Syn?
Has anyone had luck finding the HD wiring harness with the 23 pin radio connector already wired?

Or is this a large harness encompassing other systems making it overkill?

I am guessing it would be easier to use a harness and omit any circuits not needed for HD brand hand controls.

Old thread that may help us out if anyone has that info?

Thanks
...Jim
wedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

nvfxdwg wants to know Dino or Syn?
someone, somewhere suggested getting the mo-co cruise control for the right side switch and then finding a lt side swith on flea-bay. right now i'm running the sony with the bt 50 buck mount kit and it works great, and pretty simple install in my 07 flhtp. looking forward to upgrading the hand controls, and having the cruise and slapping in a 4 channel amp.... any suggestions on any of those would be appreciated? didn't do the hogtunes as I was hoping to amplify all four channels.
nvfxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I am going from a road king classic, to an electra glide fairing. I will need to wire into the biketronics module I already have, power wires, control wires, etc. to work the aftermarket Sony stereo as if it was a $750-$1,000 harley radio(lol).

I am not having any luck finding wiring diagrams, or a harness that can be modded to work for my bike.

Being an auto master technician, I thought it would be easy. But, apparently Harley is much tighter lipped about this stuff then Ford, or GM, etc. Things like wiring diagrams, connector parts, etc.

Thanks for any help,
Jim
Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Nobody has any info on the radio connector, harness, or a wairing diagram for an 07 Electra Glide?

hmmmmmm
Old 11-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

My post from 2008 has been modified (don't know when or how) causing the wiring connector information to be omitted.

There are three alternatives for handlebar controls of an aftermarket headunit on an FLHTP that I know of:

1. Study the civilian wiring diagrams and supply the wires necessary to create the Base Radio Connector (the 23-position Tyco AMP connector that is found on civilain inteconnect harnesses, but is not part of an FLHTP's inteconnect harness; the BRC plugs into the back of an HD OEM radio or the Biketronics or Hawg-Wired interface module to provide handlebar control of the head unit);

2. Replace the FLHTP's interconnect harness with the civilian interconnect harness (the main wiring harnesses are the same (at least they are on the several model years that I checked) on civilian and police models so the swap is plug n' play); or,

3. Buy the separate handlebar switch kit, etc. from Biketronics that allows retention of the OEM police handlebar switches, housings, etc. and adds a separate set of switches for the radio.

Options 1 and 2 require replacement of the police handlebar switches. The civilian switch housings can be replicated by adding the missing audio switches and rewiring the left and right harnesses to duplicate the civilian handlebar controls. The left handlebar controls will require purchase of the horn/hi-lo switch pair since this is an assembly. It's not difficult and I did it on a buddy's '06 FLHTPI a couple of years ago.

On my own bike, I did Option 1 with the handlebar switches provided free by a buddy who swapped out his handlebar switches when he added CB and cruise control to his '06 EG Classic. The HD kits for these accessories come with new handlebar switches, so he gave me his take-offs.

When I disassembled my bike earlier this year to be repainted, I purchased an '04 inteconnect harness and replaced my police harness. While everything worked as it should with my much modified police interconnect harness (handlebar controls of the radio, HD cruise control, oil pressure and oil temp gauges), the civilian interconnect harness was purchased on Ebay for $150 and it was a good opportunity to clean up the wiring inside the fairing. With 20/20 hindsight, it would have been far simpler to buy the interconnect harness rather than fabricate the BRC and modify the interconnect harness for that, cruise control, and added gauges.

To do these modifications, it was essential to have the police and civilian wiring diagrams found in the appendices of the HD service manuals and access to the parts books to identify the connectors, wire terminals, etc. needed, as well as explain how to assemble/disassemble connectors and crimp terminals. One of the best things I did shortly after I bought my bike was to buy the civilian and police service manuals. Yeah, it'd be nice if the information was available free of charge, and if you wait long enough, post enough requests on forums, search the web long enough, etc., I suppose they can be had.

Good luck with your projects. PM me if you would like any general information. As for specific wiring information, etc., consult the service manuals and parts manuals for your bike's model year. When I did my buddy's '06, my local dealer's service manager was very kind to allow me to photocopy whatever I needed, and the parts people let me copy down whatever parts information I needed for connectors, pins, sockets, etc.

Also, excellent information on crimping can be found at the Deutsch and Tyco AMP websites.

IBA 26580
2004 FLHTPX
Old 11-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I bought/ordered an 07 manual, $61.00. Since i'm doing a civilian RKC to Electra Glide, I will pick up some used switches for the radio controls and proper housings. Then I should only need to wire the 23 pin connector(If I can order one and it's corresponding pins) for my Biketronics module(Harley radio), along with stock switch harness wiring.

I guess there is not much of a market for this set up?

I have a radio in the bike now, but it is not smart changing the stations, etc. with my finger at 70mph looking down at the radio.

imo :/

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

You have a heckuva wiring project if you are doing a RK to EG conversion without swapping out the main harnesses because the EG main wiring harness carries the circuits for the gauges, radio, cruise control, etc. and the interconnect harness completes those circuits to the gauges and switches. There is no interconnect harness on a RK.

Good luck with your project.

IBA 26580
2004 FLHTPX
Old 11-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I have a working radio in it now, but since it got wet and is damages(MArine radios can't get wet?) I am upgrading it and want to add hand controls and volume compensation(BIketronics).

True, there is not an interconnect. I cecked into the EG harness though, but since it is almost $300 I didn't want to buy one just to hack up for the connectors...But luckily my bike already has cruise and I am not wiring in HD gauges, only the radio controls, along with power and ground, speakers, etc.
I have 4" round speakers in the speedo and tach area, leaving the stock RK dash on the tank, .

Shouldn't be too bad if I can find a 23 pin connector and the hand control switches off a salvage EG 07 or newer.

The wiring part is easy, luckily I am a master auto tech, so bikes aren't much of a challenge, pretty simple actually....Other then finding some of the needed info on systems wiring and function, along with reasonable parts prices!

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

Jim, you can buy the 23-wire TycoAmp connector from your local Harley dealer, as well as the wire sockets that go on the ends of the wires before inserting them in the connector. You can also modify the handlebar switches you now have by adding the audio switches; Harley sells these separately as well, though you would need new lower switch housings to accommodate the audio switches.

Just stop by your local Harley store's parts counter and ask for the Touring Models parts book for your model year bike, locate the interconnect harness and handlebar switch harness, and write down the part nos. you need.

IBA 26580
2004 FLHTPX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement